• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Safe standing areas – Time to reconsider?

General

Established Member
The club has always made it clear that any form of terracing at Ashburton is a no go and has cited health and safety laws as one of the reasons for their refusals to re-consider. I think slowly the standing culture seems to be clawing its way into the support. Against Cardiff, we pretty much stood up for the entire game and the old bill/stewards seemed quite happy to let it slide. May be the fact that these sheep shaggers aren’t used to all seater stadiums had something to do with it but there have been a few games this season when the stewards have turned a blind eye to standing as long as the bloke behind you isn’t whingeing. Against Bolton, they tried to get a few people to sit down and but gave up when standing fans grew in numbers.

I am just wondering whether this constitutes some form of acknowledgement on the club’s part that the atmosphere at Ashburton has descended into such an appalling level that it needs saving. Now, it would even be sweeter if they’d allow beer too, it would be just like the pins. Standing and chanting with beer in hand- can’t go wrong.

On a serious note, did our killjoy of stewards allow any sort of standing on your side or these are just isolated incidents varying from block to block? I think it's time the club reconsidered the issue. Thoughts....

longrufus

Established Member
Good post, however their is a massive flaw in the discussion, Arsenal Football Club could never come out and publically endorse a standing section due to the Health & Safety implications. Even now, if a group of people were standing and something happened Arsenal would get in serious trouble as the stewerts were not doing their job and its Arsenals responsibility to make sure they are.

Its a nice thought to have designated standing areas, it may even be something which stewerts have been told to allow as long as no-one complains, but Arsenal will never endorse it.

longrufus

Established Member
Just a further point to this, I moved to Manchester with work last summer, and got some complimentary tickets from a contractor to the Fulham game last night. Thought I may aswell go to OT, as I'd never been before. Got decent seats, unfortunatly they turned out to be upper teir in the Stretford End, with all the nutters. Had to stand all game, which was a pain.

Asked my firend who is a regular, United have come out and said everyone must sit in accordance with PL rules. However the fans have taken the stance of strength in numbers, stewerts cant throw an entire stand out, so we'll keep on standing.

Thought this was worth mentioning.

General

Established Member
Yep. I don’t think the club will publicly endorse terracing as they’ll be breaking government legislation but you get the feeling our stewards are starting to take a softer stance on the standing issue, possibly under directions from the club, although this differs from block to block. I’ve only sat in the upper tier once this season and you couldn’t stand up for two seconds without having you collar felt by stewards. What was funny was the fact that we were sat in row 29(the last row) with nothing expect a bloody wall behind us yet the stewards were very aggressive in their demands to stay in your seats.

I guess the more people standing the tougher the task becomes for them. Terracing has always brought better atmosphere and the time for the law makers to consider designated safe standing areas has been long overdue. If you have a soulless templated bowl like ours, then it becomes a matter of urgency.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
General said:
Yep. I don’t think the club will publicly endorse terracing as they’ll be breaking government legislation but you get the feeling our stewards are starting to take a softer stance on the standing issue, possibly under directions from the club, although this differs from block to block. I’ve only sat in the upper tier once this season and you couldn’t stand up for two seconds without having you collar felt by stewards. What was funny was the fact that we were sat in row 29(the last row) with nothing expect a bloody wall behind us yet the stewards were very aggressive in their demands to stay in your seats.

My mate Ben's got a season ticket at the back row of the upper tier in the Blue quad and the amount of sh't he and his dad have had from stewards about standing is unreal. I've experienced it myself when up there for the Carling Cup semi last year.

And then, as you say in block 19 we were stood up all night on Monday, whilst those in 5 and 6 seem to be free to stand as well. Maybe common sense has come Arsenal's way?

James

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70/xborox/img075.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj70 ... img075.jpg</a>

Anyone seen this? Oh dear, oh dear. I was saying yesterday how i hope they go down.

GaelForce22

Established Member
^ That last paragraph is shocking James.

I saw on SSN recently that in Cardiff's new stadium they will have a system where the stewards will enforce the no-standing rule by taking down the seat numbers of those who stand. You then get a warning if you are caught standing in matches twice and are banned for a season(or two?) if you are caught three times. So all of the new stadiums seem to be including no-standing rules/systems when designing.

longrufus said:
Its a nice thought to have designated standing areas, it may even be something which stewerts have been told to allow as long as no-one complains, but Arsenal will never endorse it.
Possibly the best case scenario.

longrufus

Established Member
I seriously cannot believe that Middlesborough letter, constant noise is annoying, your at a bloomin' football game!

Anyhoo, I actually like the idea United fans have in the upper stretford, everyone stands, its just the way it is. Stwerts cannot throw out an entire section of say 10,000 fans, so are really powerless.

The problem with trying to implement this at the Emirates is that its a bowl stadium, so its hard to define a section for standing. Secondly people choose season tickets at random, or what they could afford. If for example they were suddenly seated in what was now designated by hardcore fans as a standing section is simply unfair. Some people dont want to stand all game, thats fine, your just as much a supporter. Whereas with the likes of United and the Stretford, Liverpool and the Kop, Everton and the Gladis Street, you know what you in for, standing all game and constant singing.

I think the process to get to a large section of fans standing is a possibility if fans push and push the idea over say 10years, but a quick turnaround on this is impossible as the club cant really be seen to "create" a section for standing.

Tony Montana

Established Member
Whole sections standing is really standard. We did it on the Clock End at Highbury. We can't do it now because there is no hardcore section.

The redaction stand all game but that is section is tiny. I was next to them against Sunderland.

General

Established Member
That Boro letter made me laugh. WTF is she on.

Tony- didn't the club cajole redaction into getting people to sit down due to the safety implications? Last time I checked, the club allocated them a budget, so they wouldn't wanna go upsetting the top brass.

RocktheCasbah said:
My mate Ben's got a season ticket at the back row of the upper tier in the Blue quad and the amount of sh't he and his dad have had from stewards about standing is unreal. I've experienced it myself when up there for the Carling Cup semi last year.

And then, as you say in block 19 we were stood up all night on Monday, whilst those in 5 and 6 seem to be free to stand as well. Maybe common sense has come Arsenal's way?

I witnessed some farcical situations in the green quad upper last season. Sometimes I don't know who I hate more, our stewards or park wardens.

Tony Montana

Established Member
The vast majority of the Orange Quad sit. It's just a small section within that quad that stand all game. I want to stand but EVERYONE behind me sits so i can't.

General

Established Member
Talking of redaction, it baffles why the club decided to shove the only people who bring any sort of atmosphere in the corner of the orange quad and so far away from the away fans. Surely they could’ve found a better place for them. I guess beggars can’t be choosers. The Kop have had arguably the best formula for donkey years now. They literally ref the game when the poo are kicking up that end and they are knee deep in ****.

beck

Established Member
a great chance for everyone to shed the shackles of membership and sit[or stand] with a group of mates and get behind the arsenal.
arsenal v burnley sunday 8th march 1-30 kick off is now available on general sale at 32.50.come and show a bit of fan power

hesham

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:

That happened to me in the Roma game, couldn't believe steward wanted us to sit down when there no one ****ing behind us ?!?! He eventually gave up midway through the second half.

Standing area is a must if we want to have a constant atmosphere at the Emirates..

Top Bottom