• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sambi Lokonga: Sam Be the Man in Midfield?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Very few 22 year olds, who are in their first year in the country, can play on their own in England.

Let's remember that, plenty of time for him.

Midfield is a big worry now though, even if Xhaka returns...don't think he will mesh well with Lokonga's style, no real ball winner in midfield in that pair.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

At least show some character? I've said it in the past, not just based on today, he's too lackadaisical. He strolls around the pitch, plays at one tempo, whether its going forward, or tracking back. Its like he's got no gears, just constantly in a slow jog for 90 minutes. Barely breaks a sweat.

Fair enough. He was being asked to do a very tough job today so I'm not going to pile on him.

Tom349

Don't think it was a particularly easy game for a midfielder. For starters Forrest were smart by allowing Holding all the space in the world knowing he wouldn't do anything constructive with the ball and then the other major issue was it was near on impossible to receive the ball under pressure and be able to evade the opponent as any time you turned the pitch gave way from underneath. Seriously don't recall so many players falling over in a game.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
He had to play the "experienced" part in this midfield today, while he absolutely isn't the part of a midfielder yet. He can work as a partner for Partey/Xhaka, but leading Patino was way to much work for him.

and the negative climax was his pass before the goal, no idea how we want to go trough a player there.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Some people might say I'm making excuses for Sambi today but I almost felt like Arteta left him out to dry. Firstly, he was meant to be our 'senior' midfielder alongside a midfielder who has only graduated from u23 football. How is that a smart idea? Secondly, Sambi has barely played since his MOTM performance against Newcastle and the re-emergence of Xhaka. How can you expect someone to build confidence or some form when they haven't kicked a ball in a long time? Thirdly, what was his role meant to be today? Is he meant to be a 6 or a 8? We need to start developing him into one or the other otherwise his career will suffer.

FluffyDoozi

One of his more disappointing games today, at least he was trying to make things happen in previous games when he was poor. He was pretty much hiding from the ball for large chunks of the game which was unacceptable since he had Patino next to him. I get that he's still 22 but he was the captain of Anderlecht so not like he's some novince.

Loaning out AMN is looking very silly. Why not wait for two weeks when Partey's back from AFCON before loaning him?

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Some people might say I'm making excuses for Sambi today but I almost felt like Arteta left him out to dry. Firstly, he was meant to be our 'senior' midfielder alongside a midfielder who has only graduated from u23 football. How is that a smart idea? Secondly, Sambi has barely played since his MOTM performance against Newcastle and the re-emergence of Xhaka. How can you expect someone to build confidence or some form when they haven't kicked a ball in a long time? Thirdly, what was his role meant to be today? Is he meant to be a 6 or a 8? We need to start developing him into one or the other otherwise his career will suffer.

Definitely think he's more of a 8 than a 6. Doesn't look as comfortable having to be the more defensive minded of the midfielders. When he's played well he's typically the one who's trying get further forward and effect the game.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He's alright when he gets on the ball but he's atrocious off it currently, and I'm talking about both where he positions himself to receive passes and in terms of his defensive positions, it's really really poor. And I forced noticed this against Chelsea back in August, I said he was a cone defensively. But all people cared about was that he was "trying things". Going from Xhaka-Partey to a midfield with this guy is a monumental downgrade currently and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

It's absolutely vital we bring in a midfielder this window.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Some people might say I'm making excuses for Sambi today but I almost felt like Arteta left him out to dry. Firstly, he was meant to be our 'senior' midfielder alongside a midfielder who has only graduated from u23 football. How is that a smart idea?

Who was supposed to play instead of him?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Like Tavares he didn't took his chance he was hiding and when in ball he didn't know what to do. I understand both of players are 21 but you better than that.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Loaning out AMN is looking very silly. Why not wait for two weeks when Partey's back from AFCON before loaning him?
I truly don't get it.

We knew about the AMN loan early and as soon as the transfer window truly began the deal was finished quickly. You'd 100% except for that to be a prepared *Replacement is ready* situation.

Yet, nada. The best we have are far away rumors and nothing concrete.

WTF?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
His first game in a minute so I'll give him some leeway but I didn't like his performance very much today. As much as I think his role was difficult, he made it even harder for himself by hiding when we had the ball for large parts of the game. He was much better when he split the CBs but this didn't work because Patino - the player who's normally good at picking up the ball in front of the defence - was playing too far forward, as was Ødegaard. So I don't completely blame Sambi for today, but I also think he could have been quite a bit better.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
He was awful today, better than Patino who was anonymous, but he's got an excuse for that - Lokonga's a £17m signing who's captained Anderlecht. He's 22 now as well, not like he's a baby either.

Harsh to judge such a callow midfield partnership but he needs to do much, much better.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Some people might say I'm making excuses for Sambi today
You are cause he was crap and he was playing against questionable opposition :lol:

Only 22 though, so those saying he's not of Arsenal quality or will never make it here are being ridiculous he's actually one of the guys I have high hopes for.

His hiding and not showing for the ball disappointed me a lot.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I truly don't get it.

We knew about the AMN loan early and as soon as the transfer window truly began the deal was finished quickly. You'd 100% except for that to be a prepared *Replacement is ready* situation.

Yet, nada. The best we have are far away rumors and nothing concrete.

WTF?
Totally, it's crazy I assumed someone experienced was incoming

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He's alright when he gets on the ball but he's atrocious off it currently, and I'm talking about both where he positions himself to receive passes and in terms of his defensive positions, it's really really poor. And I forced noticed this against Chelsea back in August, I said he was a cone defensively. But all people cared about was that he was "trying things". Going from Xhaka-Partey to a midfield with this guy is a monumental downgrade currently and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

It's absolutely vital we bring in a midfielder this window.

Didn’t know you were Northside Dub

Latest posts+

Top Bottom