• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Samuel Eto'o

TakeChillPill

Established Member
MDGoonah41 said:
a.) why would eto'o agree to a huge wage cut? they may want to slash costs, but he has a contract, why would he rip it up?
b.) hes on like 400k per week. so any step down will be a MASSIVE step down
c.) hes still solid, but nowhere near his peak
d.) if we're going to spend 200k a week on wages, we should go for ibra. i still dont see how he will co-exist with cavani

No one is going to pay £200k+ per week for Eto'o in europe, all the rich clubs have got their forward opitions in place.

I think if he's going to go anywhere it will be between us and Chelsea probably on a 2 year contract between £150k - up to £200k, probably for a fee of £1-4million just so they can get him off their books

Pea-Tear-Griffin

yousif_arsenal said:
Pea-Tear-Griffin said:
His agent has said this,"Napoli would be a dream for him"

Napoli signed Higuain its very unlikely they are going to sign another striker.
They agreed personal terms with Martinez though(didn't want to meet release clause), so they may want another striker.

baccy_man

Established Member
I could see Eto'o having problems adjusting to the pace of the premier league, I'm not sure how competitive the Russian league is compaired with the premier league but i would have thought their is quite a bit of difference,
Would Eto'o be a goal hanger or would he chase after the ball aswell.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Eto'o would be a stop gap solution in Wenger's mind and seeing we weren't interested in Villa this Summer I doubt we'd be in Eto'o.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I wanted Villa and wouldn't mind E'too but what a step down from Suarez and Higuain this would be. Not the player he was.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
eto'o still has good pace, and he doesnt have the horrific leg break that villa had to recover from. but the defending in the russian league isnt close to what he'd see in the EPL, imo.

i'd take him here, as hes still got more in his locker than giroud, and i think hes versatile enough to play as a LW if needed. but i dont think its even remotely possible.

truth_hurts

A fee of 5m or less, a 5m signing on fee and 180k a week could make this very possible. Think he'd come here as well.

Would be a decent stop gap. Particularly if he came in for less than Gervinho went for and Gervonho, Arshavin and Chamakhs wage covers him. We'd have upgraded and made a profit!

Can't see this happening though.

darkgunner

Arai said:
Rumours have been rife of training-ground bust-ups ever since Meulensteen was handed the manager's job just over a fortnight ago. There were reports that a rift between newly signed Russia captain Igor Denisov and £130,000-per-week striker Samuel Eto'o, with Meulensteen caught in the middle, had destroyed the Dutchman's authority.

Source

Hurm... :?

:lol: Eto's wages are not £130k per week, they are more like £350k-£400k per week. If if he takes a wage cut to come here, he will probably still demand 200k+ per week, and Wenger might not be willing to give that to a 32 year old who is not the force he used to be.

I don't see us buying him.

truth_hurts

darkgunner said:
Arai said:
Rumours have been rife of training-ground bust-ups ever since Meulensteen was handed the manager's job just over a fortnight ago. There were reports that a rift between newly signed Russia captain Igor Denisov and £130,000-per-week striker Samuel Eto'o, with Meulensteen caught in the middle, had destroyed the Dutchman's authority.

Source

Hurm... :?

:lol: Eto's wages are not £130k per week, they are more like £350k-£400k per week. If if he takes a wage cut to come here, he will probably still demand 200k+ per week, and Wenger might not be willing to give that to a 32 year old who is not the force he used to be.

I don't see us buying him.

2 year contract and a decent signing on fee could make it work, he would also possibly be available on loan. I agree a move is unlikely but after seeing Thierry and Sol come back, Rosicky offered a new contract and ARteta as acting captain an over 30 being signed isn't as improbable as it used to be.

eye4goal

Established Member
Abit dissapointing if we end up with a stop gap, especially when Tevez was sold for £8m. Eto'o has a year left, so they might let him go for free but his wages are £15-20m. Suarez costs £50m, but over 5 years thats £10m a year plus his wages(£5-7m). Eto'o is better than nothing though he can still do a job, but he would be a very expensive stop-gap

truth_hurts

eye4goal said:
Abit dissapointing if we end up with a stop gap, especially when Tevez was sold for £8m. Eto'o has a year left, so they might let him go for free but his wages are £15-20m. Suarez costs £50m, but over 5 years thats £10m a year plus his wages(£5-7m). Eto'o is better than nothing though he can still do a job, but he would be a very expensive stop-gap

It's all relative though if you consider last year Arshavin, Chamakh and Gervinho were taking about 10m a year off us. If we can get E'too down to about 7m then it would be a very shrewd signing - unless he failed to perform!

To be honest he would be a last resort as I think there are better options available.

jay-d

Established Member
Eto? Get lost. 4 years ago maybe but if we get this washed up player Wenger and Gaz can both do one.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I think this is more likely then people think, think Davor Suker. Wenger can't resist a bargin, esp since it looks likely that suarez aint coming.

Also Wenger is proably thinking why spend £30m on a forward when akpom will be ready in a couple of seasons.

ModelGooner

Harambe Loyalist
michael-scott-no.gif

baccy_man

Established Member
We have been settling for 4th place for too long and not showing enough ambition in our signings in the past and that is why we have trouble to get the top players now.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
@ Baccy man ... it is our own fault. Arsenal have dithered for so many years now, that nobody except Liverpool and Spuds take us as a threat.

I really thought that something had changed, but it hasn't ... not one iota.

We are completely out of shape when it comes to being BIG boys ... we get a shedload of money and still cannot do the do. Man City and Chelsea both got on with it when they finally got the dosh and are reaping the rewards.

We are like a Championship side that has been promoted (though in our case from fighting for 4th to fighting for 1st), and have no clue who to sign, how to act or how to buy a player. Nobody wants to move here as they don't see us as real challengers.

Money talks and even with that we are still crap. I despair at our incompetence this season.

THIS season is the one where Man U, Chelsea and Man City looked like they could have been pushed hard ... maybe with us taking their place especially Chelsea ... but only with some great new signings.

I can see some bargains coming in with tales of how it was a difficult window.

Except it wasn't ... more TOP strikers moved / are moving this year than ever and we still haven't got anyone.

We are seriously crap.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
From ESPN:

14:06 BST: Samuel Eto'o's future could be in the MLS with LA Galaxy thinking about making a mammoth bid for the Cameroonian superstar according to Tuttosport. With Anzhi looking to trim their wage bill, Eto'o will be the first to go.

Off to MLS? IMO, he is still can do the job with top European club for 1 or 2 more years.

Top Bottom