• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Santi Cazorla: My Friend, Is Adios, No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I kind of wanted a new Cazorla thread to discuss the continuation of the fine form he's shown since around November/December this season in a slightly different role than usual. Now I did famously say in the old thread (I'm sure some will remember) that we should consider playing him in a deeper role and it was shot down by a lot of people (someone definitely agreed with me though). It was based on where he played for Malaga, traditionally he had always played wide or as a CAM for Spain/Villarreal beforehand however Pelligrini decided to use him in that role primarily based on the fact that Isco was their main attacking midfielder. It worked a treat for Malaga and is now starting to really work for Cazorla.

This is also a man who's now 3rd in line to the captaincy (after Arteta and Mertesacker) and has become the pace setter for the team and the controller of our midfield and I think he deserves a thread acknowledging this. Many had actually written him off towards the end of last season and many were open to even selling him last summer. However he's proven a lot of doubters wrong recently and being a fan of him since his seeing him in the Euros for Spain back in 2008, it's really pleasing to see it. He seems to be integral to the team again, you can almost see everyone he plays with enjoying playing with him, Ramsey, Monreal, Özil, etc. He does so much work and I feel even now it's under-appreciated. So I feel there needs to be a thread where we can show appreciation for this little genius. Hard to believe someone on here thought Lallana was better than him during the summer.

** it'd be nice if this didn't turn into a "team Özil vs team Cazorla" kinda thing.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I was one of those that said he had the tools to play a deeper role to a good level, and he has done. I still think he's wasted there, and we could do with a player with different attributes in that position, but he's doing a fine job to those that know what one looks like.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Is there an argument to suggest that his up turn in form has been just as influential as the emergence of Coquelin, it happened around the same time however it seems as though Cazorla's good form finally got our midfield controlling games a bit more than we did for the first few months of the season.

In terms of players of the season I think Alexis gets it for us, however I'd have Cazorla in second definitely.

blaze_of_glory

Hard to say who's been our best player this year. I think reasonable cases can be made for all of Sanchez, Coq, Santi, Özil, Kos and Giroud. Hell even Nacho if we want to talk about most consistent.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread into a player of the season discussion.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Hard to say who's been our best player this year. I think reasonable cases can be made for all of Sanchez, Coq, Santi, Özil, Kos and Giroud. Hell even Nacho if we want to talk about most consistent.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread into a player of the season discussion.

It's Sanchez every day and twice on Sundays. Not even debatable. Many here had him POTY, never mind player of our season! Anyway, another (non) discussion ;)

He's not been setting the world a light over last month, nothing special. But the game today was fantastic.

But this is Arsenal fans, most of us can't remember than just last game.

GG8

Really get to see the best of him from deep. His vision, accuracy and technique are much better utilised when he gets time on the ball and has the whole game in front of him.

So enjoyable to watch as well, an artist on the ball.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
His had some truly great games this season, like today were he basically just runs everything. But his also had a lot of very very average games.

I don't know if he's influential enough week in, week out to cement such a pivotal role.

Lilwizzle

Established Member
He's so much more disciplined, smarter and consistent than Ramsey at CM. He can become a passenger at times, while the Welsh is likely to just **** everything up when not on song.

Our midfield's a little too good.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog...anti-cazorla-isn-t-good-enough-180835835.html
Shocking statement from Chaz. However, clearly shows the stats is in Özil's court. Sanchez comments of Cazorla really surprised me though, and really shows you how talented and admired Santi is by not only us but by his peers. Good stuff.

As far as Özil vs. Cazorla, Özil is clearly the better player for me but Santi is spectacular and we shouldn't even be having this debate in the first place as there are roles for everybody. Also anybody looking to replace Santi in the summer, as I have stated before go get checked up.

AVENTUS

I'd have to echo everybody here his been excellent this season easily one of our best players of the campaign.

Just hope we're saying the same thing next season we need all of our players to keep sharp throughout a football-less summer look at Ramsey and the drop of form cause Wales didn't go to Brazil his only found the hights of last season in recent months all this could a recurrence with all our key men. Carzorla, Coquline, Bellerin ect..

We're in a position to challenge now in my opinion few tweaks in the summer and we're there.

Good win today

AVENTUS

It really baffled me at first cause the first few paragraphs were saying how Arsenal were in crisis and Carzola wasn't good enough then realise it was dated over a year ago.

Mind you we had pretty much lead the the league for more then 200 days at this point and threw it away. Shows you half these pundits and reporters do talk out of their arse most of the time tho doesn't it.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

My favourite player and frankly horrified when there we calls to sell him earlier this year . What he has improved is his defensive work . There was a close of some of his defensive work , was surprised just how hard he hits .

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

It really baffled me at first cause the first few paragraphs were saying how Arsenal were in crisis and Carzola wasn't good enough then realise it was dated over a year ago.

Mind you we had pretty much lead the the league for more then 200 days at this point and threw it away. Shows you half these pundits and reporters do talk out of their arse most of the time tho doesn't it.
I should've been more clear haha.. But point is shows you how a bad patch and all of a sudden you aren't good enough. Hey even when in a purple patch (Giroud) you still aren't good enough. Can never win. Regardless, Santi is fantastic and a key player here. Keen to see if we can continue to push on with him in a deeper role.

AVENTUS

I should've been more clear haha.. But point is shows you how a bad patch and all of a sudden you aren't good enough. Hey even when in a purple patch (Giroud) you still aren't good enough. Can never win. Regardless, Santi is fantastic and a key player here. Keen to see if we can continue to push on with him in a deeper role.

From my perspective he seems to enjoy playing there and plays the role very well and like you say going into the new season it will be interesting how we go about midfield selection with Wilshere, Arteta & Flamini back. Personally I think we should be looking to offload Arteta and Flamini now buy with one being offered a new 1 year deal it doesn't look likely. Hoping Wenger don't do something crazy like push Coquelin back on the bench.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
My favourite player and frankly horrified when there we calls to sell him earlier this year . What he has improved is his defensive work . There was a close of some of his defensive work , was surprised just how hard he hits .
There were calls to sell him even before today's match. Mind boggling.

Technically, one of the most gifted players in the league. Think he's been instrumental from deep as well, might even prefer him there than further up the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom