• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Santiago Cañizares

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelip

brianfrance said:
Sammer said:
GoonerGurjit said:
I agree with Canuck. Canizares is a quality goalkeeper but wouldn't be much of an improvement on Jens. Surely Wenger wouldn't consider signing another goalkeeper who's 35.

Spot on - Canizares and Jens are in the same league. I reckon we will see a new, young goalkeeper once Jens retires...

Green! :D

Sorry dude, but I thought that Green will not be much of an improvement on Alumnia or Stackie or even taylor. Green is in a way, still err...too Green?

Ori

I don't think Canizares want to join Arsenal, He said Arsenal wanted him but he wants to end his career at Valencia

goonerlove

I was impressed with what I have seen of Green, personally.

GK is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate for us armchair managers, so I am somewhat leary of trying to rate them.

Lehmann is good, even very good. But he isn't UBER - and Arsenal deserve an UBER keeper. His two weaknesses are dealing with crosses (flapping around and positioning) and his temper.

Given that crossing into the box and set pieces are often the best way for our opponents to pierce our defense, I would want a strong and intelligent keeper who really knows how to deal with those situations and also has the shot-stopper qualities that Lehmann has.

Goonerlove

Sammer

Established Member
goonerlove said:
I was impressed with what I have seen of Green, personally.

GK is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate for us armchair managers, so I am somewhat leary of trying to rate them.

Lehmann is good, even very good. But he isn't UBER - and Arsenal deserve an UBER keeper. His two weaknesses are dealing with crosses (flapping around and positioning) and his temper.

Given that crossing into the box and set pieces are often the best way for our opponents to pierce our defense, I would want a strong and intelligent keeper who really knows how to deal with those situations and also has the shot-stopper qualities that Lehmann has.

Goonerlove

I like the term "armchair managers" :D

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
But the thing is you see isolated incidents goonerlove. People do not usually notice when a keeper makes an easy pick from a cross but the thing is Lehmann makes ****loads of these, and as a fact prevents many a goals being conceded.
But due to the nature of him coming out for many crosses he will make some mistakes and miss a few. It is then up to the defenders to bail the keeper out.

Most keepers cannot have all the capabilities needed for one. I mean they are either excellent at coming out for crosses (Toldo) or sticking to their line and making spectacular saves (Buffon). They either come outside te box to stop the play before it reachs danger point (Lehmann), or sit back, let the defence handle it and when they don't handle it make a spectacular save(Oliver Khan).

Most keepers contain two of these at ver good levels and the other two they are a bit lacking or suspect. I'd say the most complete keper at the moment is Buffon, and even he is not as good a keeper at crosses as Toldo, even though Buffon is more agile.

goonerlove

True Loyan, but last weekend was a classic example of an unbelievable misjudge for someone at his level. We were just fortunate that Hreidarsson couldn't get his head right. I mean, Lehmann wasn't even close - I see those mistakes in the games that I play in, but would never expect that kind of mistake in the EPL, let alone Arsenal.

And like I said, he is a VERY GOOD keeper but I still stand by my analysis that he has 2 weaknesses that we can and should improve on (and yes, those weaknesses only manifest themselves in goals conceded every once in a while, but we do have an extraordinary defense in front of him as well).

Goonerlove

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's true and his style of play does let in goals but question is would you have him stay in his goal and not come out for crosses and use his "agility" to make spectacular saves. If that is he case I don't see it succeeding as he i not that type of keeper. He will let in goals from headers more often if he doesn't try and cut them out before they make it. You saw how he reacted to the header Fulham scored against us which was ruled out.

He needs to keep this going and the communication and organisation of his defenders goes a long way to making us the best team defensively last season, and IMO this season he has even improved on last and cut out te silly mistakes and tantrums he used to have.

I am fine with him being our goalie and we can do a lot worse, but until we find a better keeper at a good price who would last us at least 5 seasons I will stick to that opinion.

Sammer

Established Member
*Loyan* said:
But the thing is you see isolated incidents goonerlove. People do not usually notice when a keeper makes an easy pick from a cross but the thing is Lehmann makes ****loads of these, and as a fact prevents many a goals being conceded.
But due to the nature of him coming out for many crosses he will make some mistakes and miss a few. It is then up to the defenders to bail the keeper out.

Most keepers cannot have all the capabilities needed for one. I mean they are either excellent at coming out for crosses (Toldo) or sticking to their line and making spectacular saves (Buffon). They either come outside te box to stop the play before it reachs danger point (Lehmann), or sit back, let the defence handle it and when they don't handle it make a spectacular save(Oliver Khan).

Most keepers contain two of these at ver good levels and the other two they are a bit lacking or suspect. I'd say the most complete keper at the moment is Buffon, and even he is not as good a keeper at crosses as Toldo, even though Buffon is more agile.

Thats an excelllent description there, LOYAN....100% agreed.

goonerlove

I'm ok with him as goalie (although I was ready to freakin' fire him after the Tottenham match last year), but I still think if you look at our total squad, that is one position we can upgrade. If I was pushed I would also say right back, but I have to admit that Lauren has really impressed me over the last 10-15 games I have seen him.

Goonerlove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I can really see the light. I’m telling you I’m very positive most of the time. I’ve seen the light and I can see bright lights. There can be bumps in the road within that light, but I can see a lot of light.

Mikel Arteta
Top Bottom