• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sead Kolašinac: The Assist Man's Bodyguard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Yeah, big hand in the goals and was better today than his previous outing. Safe to say he's better when all defensive responsibility down the left isn't his alone.

progman07

Established Member
Two assists and no word about him here?

I am the only one who could imagine him as a offensive Left Wing with a Left Back behind him?
His offensive runs are phenomenal.
He isn't the best technical, but really has a great mentality for this position.
There is significant difference between running down the left hand side from a defensive position, or taking up the position of a winger. An overlapping run is dangerous beacause it possibly creates 2vs1 if our full back is not tracked, but to be dangerous as a winger requires a totally different game play. You have much less space and time to think.

ptrcopp

Those trying to say he should be playing on the left wing are doing the thing Arsenal fans (and Wenger) have been doing for years; trying to fix the problems in the squad with inferior solutions from within. Vermaelen was never a left back or a DM, Chambers is not a DM (and doesn’t look like it for Fulham, either), and neither Arshavin or Sanchez were strikers. Maybe to close out the game in the last ten minutes, like Gibbs was used, but starting him LW definitely would be worse than Auba, Iwobi, or Mhki.

All he is and all he needs to be is a decent back-up to a starter. And in most of his games for us he has managed that. He’s had a couple of dodgy performances this season on his way back from a longish lay off where he was thrown back into the team because the first choice is also in the middle of a long lay off. And it’s not like when he has played badly he has been the only one.

I think he is similar to Marcus Alonso. He’s not as good, obviously, but Alonso is similarly suspect positionally, but is a powerhouse going forward, and contributes to goals. Another similarity, Alonso looks worse this season playing LB and is constantly out of position

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'd still trust a fit Monreal over him and I don't think he's a long term option in a back 4. 1v1 against a nimble or intelligent attacker and he's toast. Pleased with his efforts and his role in both goals.
Don't want to single out your post, but who wouldn't struggle against guys like Zaha, or Willian or Salah? Even Nacho struggles against direct players.

Our problem is defensive shape, which is exaggerated when we play WBs. Even with three CBs, they were regularly getting 1v1s with Mustafi and Sokratis.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Just like with Bellerin, top class in attack but defensively suspect. If we had better CB's and generally defended better as a team maybe this wouldn't be such a big problem but it is what it is.

His attacking game is amazing though, we don't actually look lost on that left side when he plays.

marting

We all need to remember that this guy is not long back from a big injury, You can still see his off the pace. if he cans stay fit for a while, he will show his quality.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Good at getting up and down the flank and of course strong physically but that’s it. Can’t pass, dribble, or defend very well. Lacks the agility to be a top full back.
Whenever he's down the flank in and around the opposition's box I do get excited though, his crossing is very good.

The issue is he isn't a good ball carrier, especially under pressure and in his own half. Monreal excels at this and it suits our system. And yeh he quite bad at defending lol

If I was a team that plays with wingbacks, I'd love to sign Kola, he is actually quite a good player there

pikey2000

For me he has the same attributes as Podolski, powerful, if you can get him in the right position can do damage, rocket shot but utterly one footed, technically limited in terms of passing and dribbling and limited defensively.

Ok for backup but i don't want to see Podolski at LB to many times this season.

Would suggest AMN is a better option to play LB if we want to go with a back four, or perhaps we give one of the reserve/u21's some game time....just like we did Hector!

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
think his potential is huge. all he needs is health and more Unai

I definitely second that. Only 25 and has all the tools to be a huge success. His passing, technique and intelligence is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Like you say, he just needs to stay healthy and a good run of games.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Don't want to single out your post, but who wouldn't struggle against guys like Zaha, or Willian or Salah? Even Nacho struggles against direct players.

Our problem is defensive shape, which is exaggerated when we play WBs. Even with three CBs, they were regularly getting 1v1s with Mustafi and Sokratis.
No problems singling out my post. You're right about the threat of Zaha and Co but my main issue is that he has often been left on the floor when faced 1v1. He had a good game vs Bournemouth and even though he plays on his toes,he's not that hard to get past in a non physical battle. It's defensively that he concerns me.

LG10

Whenever he's down the flank in and around the opposition's box I do get excited though, his crossing is very good.

The issue is he isn't a good ball carrier, especially under pressure and in his own half. Monreal excels at this and it suits our system. And yeh he quite bad at defending lol

If I was a team that plays with wingbacks, I'd love to sign Kola, he is actually quite a good player there
His cutbacks are dangerous, but he can't whip in a cross like the best full backs can. Maybe he has that in his locker but I've never seen him do it.

leo9903

To be completely honest, I can't seem to understand why he tends to get the stick from certain fans, it's not like he's Mustafi brainfart level defensively. Granted he's no world beater in his role, but from what I've seen so far between injuries, he's been decent at least. Plus he's built like a bulldog, so he's got that physical quality to him that you want from a defender.

The only problem I have with him is that he's been having injury patches preventing him to get a good run of games to build his confidence. I mean you don't get to be included in the Bundesliga team of the season and be a total crap. I think our fans tend to be harsher on our own player compared to other clubs, what with the grass being greener on the other side and whatnot.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
To be completely honest, I can't seem to understand why he tends to get the stick from certain fans, it's not like he's Mustafi brainfart level defensively. Granted he's no world beater in his role, but from what I've seen so far between injuries, he's been decent at least. Plus he's built like a bulldog, so he's got that physical quality to him that you want from a defender.

The only problem I have with him is that he's been having injury patches preventing him to get a good run of games to build his confidence. I mean you don't get to be included in the Bundesliga team of the season and be a total crap. I think our fans tend to be harsher on our own player compared to other clubs, what with the grass being greener on the other side and whatnot.
Kinda agree, Bellerin definitely gets a pass as far as defensive contribution go on but is still an undisputed starter for most. Find it laughable that some people think Maitland-Niles is better in that role when the latter is basically unplayable because of his lack of offensive contribution. This is modern football, a fullback should contribute more than usual in attack.

Still, for my liking, they both lack a defensive mindset and sometimes just forget to track players. Bellerin is fast and Kolasinac is strong but that is not enough when you lack defensive skills.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I definitely second that. Only 25 and has all the tools to be a huge success. His passing, technique and intelligence is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Like you say, he just needs to stay healthy and a good run of games.

his technique is actually very good if not better then that, balkanian players
are basically born with it.
His passes are progressive, almost always looking to make a difference with it, reason why his % is not the greatest, which doesnt make him a bad passer, just needs to pick up the best one that team needa from him at that moment.
and defense, its so down to the tactics and the help defenders (he is a defender first) get from the players in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom