• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sead Kolašinac: The Assist Man's Bodyguard

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcahill

Does anyone seen much of him in the bundesliga? I'm curious as to how good he is going forward, doesn't seem to have much of a technical game.

Defensive wise looks like he'll eat every premier league RW for breakfast, absolute tank.

BobP

Memri Fan
Welcome.
He don't have a shirt number so far, right?
Surely he is waiting for the 3 from Gibbs..

God willing

Does anyone seen much of him in the bundesliga? I'm curious as to how good he is going forward, doesn't seem to have much of a technical game.

Defensive wise looks like he'll eat every premier league RW for breakfast, absolute tank.

I said this ages ago but he reminds me of Ivanovic, which is good, because I ****ing hated him.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Well Wenger just needs a Sergej Milinkovic-Savic and Mario Mandzukic to do what no one did before and bring peace to the Balkans. :D

Joking aside, he is a great player.
I just hope we stick with this new system because he has a great bullying potential. I am actually kinda onto Ox-Sead fullback bandwagon now (even tho Bellerin/Nacho are great). These two can conquer the flanks.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Not only a defensive beast, he got the most assists from full back in the Bundesliga.

For free? This is a fantastic pickup. Great start to the summer.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Assuming they both start, who plays LCB and who plays LWB out of him and Monreal?
That's a good one actually, they could probaby be the first instance of a fluid cb/fb I know of.

I guess it depends on who the better defender is, but in general you would want the pacier guy out wide.

It's a nice problem to have assuming Sead doesn't flop.

Last edited:

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I really like the fact that we're also adding some grit and physical presence to our defence. That Marcos Alonso elbow on Bellerin resulting in a goal still haunts me.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
yeaaaa!
Mzqf4T.gif
You've won the thread! Beautiful.

Ewarwoowar

Not that it matters because I see them both being able to play together, but for a bit of fun-

Arsenal have announced the signing of Sead Kolašinac from Schalke – but how do the left-back’s 2016-17 statistics compare to those of Nacho Monreal?

Kolašinac can also play as part of a back three and in midfield, but the 23-year-old says he ‘feels most comfortable’ at left-back.

With Nacho Monreal eight years his senior and coming off the back of a difficult season, Kolašinac may well fancy his chances of establishing himself as Arsenal‘s first choice in the position.

But what do the stats say?

Defending
It is hard to properly judge defenders by their stats alone, with some of the best in the game often winning far fewer tackles and aerial duels than players at smaller clubs. After all, when your team spends more time and attacking, you have less opportunity to rack up big numbers.

Furthermore, the best defenders are so good at reading the game that there is often no need to make a tackle. As Paolo Maldini once said: “If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake.”

• • • •

Such qualities as concentration and positioning cannot be explained statistics, but the amount of times a defender is dribbled past goes at least some way to explaining their ability to keep opponents at bay.

Based on their 2016-17 stats, Kolašinac trumps Monreal in this regard, with both players attempting 3.9 tackles per 90 minutes in the league but Kolašinac winning a far greater percentage of his. Whereas the Bosnian was dribbled past only 0.9 times per 90 minutes, Monreal was beaten 1.4 times.

Monreal gave away far fewer fouls, however, committing only 0.9 per 90 minutes compared to Kolašinac’s 1.7. The statistics certainly back up the new Gooner’s reputation as a powerful, rather fearsome opponent.

• • • •

Interceptions, meanwhile, are a decent indicator of a defender’s positioning, highlighting their ability to cut out passes before they reach their target.

Again Kolašinac’s numbers are superior to those of Monreal, with 3.5 interceptions per 90 minutes compared to the Spaniard’s 2.5, though it must be pointed out that him making several of his appearances for Schalke at left midfield may have skewed the numbers.

Finally, in terms of their aerial ability, Kolašinac would appear to be an improvement on Monreal having won 59% of his aerial duels in the Bundesliga this past season to Monreal’s 47% success rate in the Premier League.

Attacking
It is, of course, equally if not more important in the modern game that a full-back can have an impact on the game going forward.

The fact that Kolašinac has been used on the wing certainly bodes well for Arsenal in this regard, as do his three goals and five assists from his 25 appearances in the Bundesliga.

His pass completion ratio of 71.7% is well down on Monreal’s 85.6%, but that can be put at least partly down to Schalke and Arsenal’s different style of play, as well as Kolašinac’s appearances on the wing where there is more of an onus to make decisive passes.

• • • •

He created one chance per 90 minutes on average and found a team-mate with one in every five crosses, whereas Monreal set up only 0.3 chances per 90 minutes and was successful with only one in nine of his crosses.

As you would expect, Kolašinac attempted more dribbles per 90 minutes (1.8) than Monreal (0.6), but he beat his man only 41% of the time while Monreal got past his opponent 62% of the time.

http://www.planetfootball.com/viral/comparing-stats-arsenal-new-boy-sead-kolasinac-nacho-monreal/

Crocrodile

Tvrd kao bosanski konj :)

Shouldn't it be Zdravo

That 's the "šatro" mentioned before.

For all of you that would like to know what that means, it 's a slang, basically you separate a word and put the end at the beginning.

Example:

Arsène Wenger-->seneAr gerWen

You use it where it looks and feels comfortable.
Obviously, an equivalent to "šatro" doesn't exist in this widespread language we 're communicating in.

Apologies for my foreign language paragraph.
Was so excited because of the signing and also because of seeing a balkanoid language.
And also because that 's kinda my preoccupation right now.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
he'll be our left wing back if we keep playing 3-4-2-1 i'm sure he'll enjoy his role here. i guess Monreal will be backup For him and a very decent CB backup if needed.
Monreal either plays as a CB or goes to another club, you dont bench Nacho after the season he has.
Key player.

silent_shadow

Established Member
Looks like someone you wouldn't want to **** with. Love it.

Never watched him or seen his compilations but I trust those who watch him and say he's good. Has to be better than Gibbs at least.
And Monreal is first choice LCB so it works.

TheIceman85

Intelligent signing. Cheap, improves the squad and brings qualities that we are lacking.

I have a gut feeling Wenger will play him as a LCB and shift Monreal forward to LWB. Nacho's movement and final delivery are top class and we've missed that when Gibbs has played LWB.

Oh_Snap

Intelligent signing. Cheap, improves the squad and brings qualities that we are lacking.

I have a gut feeling Wenger will play him as a LCB and shift Monreal forward to LWB. Nacho's movement and final delivery are top class and we've missed that when Gibbs has played LWB.

Would rather have it the opposite way. Let him play the left wing and cause havoc and fear in the enemy lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom