• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Chelsea FC: Carabottlejobs

Gooner_Delhi

Chelsea's new stadium:

15995319_670319283173670_391585833432357720_o.jpg

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
So Chelsea fans are outraged that Costa's head has been turned by some tinpot club he's never even heard of just because they happen to have a shítload of money.
In completely unrelated news I see Claude Makelele was sitting on Swansea's bench yesterday

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Sometimes I wonder; how much money do you really need?

I hope Costa's greed is great enough to get himself the transfer though.
I was saying the same in another thread. These guys getting paid £5+ million per year can afford anything they want. If they get an extra £20m per year is it necessary, what the **** do you even do with that sort of money.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
I was saying the same in another thread. These guys getting paid £5+ million per year can afford anything they want. If they get an extra £20m per year is it necessary, what the **** do you even do with that sort of money.

Look at it in another way.

Why bust a gut for a "meager 5m/year", when you can get 30m/year while playing with Chinese farmers and be treated like a monarch.

There are too many stories of footballers going bankrupt after retiring due to bad decisions, so a move liek this, puts an extra cushion in their future.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Look at it in another way.

Why bust a gut for a "meager 5m/year", when you can get 30m/year while playing with Chinese farmers and be treated like a monarch.

There are too many stories of footballers going bankrupt after retiring due to bad decisions, so a move liek this, puts an extra cushion in their future.
If they're going bankrupt after a career of £5m/year, then they're imbeciles.

If they want an easy ride then fine, but why do you get involved in sport - do these guys really pursue a career in football with the dream of one day playing against amateurs in China to make gross amounts of easy cash. I'd rather a career at the top on a fraction of that money.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I wouldn't. 30m or 5m is a giant difference, there's a whole lot you can do with that much more money. Most footballers are * but there are some who use their money sensibly and spend it in the infrastructure of their hometowns etc.

Even for those with different backgrounds it's not difficult to understand how they'd decide for the bigger wages. Oscar earned enough that he could have a comfortable life so far, after his contract at Shanghai he'll have earned enough for his whole extended family and their next three or four generations. That's worth more to many than just caring for your own desires competing against the best and I don't think you can hold it against them

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
@jones makes a very good point, which reminded me of Behrami of Watford.
Although he is seen as a ****** player of being a snide tackler similarly to VanBommel, he helped his extended family in Kosovo continuously by building around 15 new homes and is always there when someone sick etc is in need of help.

For those who understand German, his interview is quite good.
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/leben/g...s-leben-in-mitrovica-vorziehen/story/19214882

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

That's very interesting. Truth is that most of the time none of us know what the players do with their money, sure some will waste it on a lot of **** they don't really need, but others do a lot of good with it.

Especially if a player comes from a poor country, it's totally understandable he plays for the money. With what they earn they can significantly improve the lives of hundreds of people from their old neighborhood and family, etc. Whether you earn 5 or 30 million a year makes a massive difference, then.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why couldn’t China have this football urge when we had the like of Ade and Nasri.

It's only really beneficial if he leaves in January. If he waits till the summer then I’d bet on them sourcing a good replacement.

His already won two major trophies (a third looks highly likely) and has a runners up CL medal. I’d probably move if I was him, at least you’d be getting away from the English press.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
@jones makes a very good point, which reminded me of Behrami of Watford.
Although he is seen as a ****** player of being a snide tackler similarly to VanBommel, he helped his extended family in Kosovo continuously by building around 15 new homes and is always there when someone sick etc is in need of help.

For those who understand German, his interview is quite good.
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/leben/g...s-leben-in-mitrovica-vorziehen/story/19214882
Good read if a bit short. Thanks

TriniGunner

Sometimes I wonder; how much money do you really need?

I hope Costa's greed is great enough to get himself the transfer though.

With South American players it's hardly about greed. The guys from that part of the world need to see about their nest egg and their life AFTER football and we'd be selfish to think they shouldn't. Let's not forget that South American players are under strict contracts and work permits while playing in Europe. When they get older and can't find a decent club to sign for and maintain the lifestyle of that and their families, they have no choice but to go back home, which in all honesty isn't a great proposition for them. Look at where most top south american players end up after their time in Europe...back home playing for a club that can't pay them even close to what they made in Europe. They have every right to seek a lot of money before some agent or club tells them they're no longer a hot prospect.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
With South American players it's hardly about greed. The guys from that part of the world need to see about their nest egg and their life AFTER football and we'd be selfish to think they shouldn't. Let's not forget that South American players are under strict contracts and work permits while playing in Europe. When they get older and can't find a decent club to sign for and maintain the lifestyle of that and their families, they have no choice but to go back home, which in all honesty isn't a great proposition for them. Look at where most top south american players end up after their time in Europe...back home playing for a club that can't pay them even close to what they made in Europe. They have every right to seek a lot of money before some agent or club tells them they're no longer a hot prospect.
I live in a so called wealthy European nation and if I was earning as much as Costa is earning I could take good care of myself and my family for a long time, and you obviously forgot that Costa is a Spanish citizen.

Lets not pretend that every footballer now has a heart of gold because we don't know them and someone like Costa is going to get his hands on more money than most of us will ever get to see, so I don't really feel sorry for any professional football player's financial situation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom