• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: Cack On Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
He was a nailed on starter for the german B team that easily won the Confed Cup last summer like it was some fun and games tournament, while everyone else fielded their best teams.

He's got individual mistakes in him, surely, but in a working system he's not as horrific as some make him out to be. Get the team a communicating keeper, not even a guy that's per se better than Cech or Ospina, but just someone who interacts with his defenders, and Mustafi will go up a level, as will all other CBs.

BBF

Have they been into a World Cup winning team though ?
Mustafi played 3 matches, until he was injured and then Lahm was moved from DM back to his natural RB role.

Silvestre didn't play in any World Cup match and Squillaci played in the opening 2-1 loss vs. South Africa in 2010.

I know he had some truly horrible matches this season, but the way some of you are singling him out like the worst signing ever makes it sound like he is the only reason why our season has collapsed; that is really really ridiculous.

Mustafi is rubbish but Silvestre was one of the worst "CB's" I've ever seen in my life, arguably League two level at the very best. I used to cringe watching him tackle someone because I knew average championship strikers would run a train on him

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Silvestre didn't play in any World Cup match and Squillaci played in the opening 2-1 loss vs. South Africa in 2010.
That wasn't the opening game. Tshabalala scored against Mexico in our opening game. Our third group match was france and half their squad was sent packing a week before...

Still loved beating them though.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Mustafi is rubbish but Silvestre was one of the worst "CB's" I've ever seen in my life, arguably League two level at the very best. I used to cringe watching him tackle someone because I knew average championship strikers would run a train on him
Stepanovs and Cygan say hello.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Those are only CBs, while is we expand in other defensive signings (as @Artisan suggested for worst defensive signing ever), there were some shockers too: Gabriel, Debuchy, Jenkison, Santos, Grimandi, Luzhny, Volz, etc...
Debuchy was brilliant in his first few months here. That shoulder injury and an emerging Bellerin was quite unlucky on his part. He's been performing in Ligue 1 again now too. My opinion is that him on that list is a little unfair.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Stepanovs will always be a name to haunt anyone that lived through that period when it comes to Wenger's defensive signings. The rest of the names mentioned you could make a case for them being good or bad. Stepanovs was just outright turd.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We've conceded 48 league goals with 2 games left.

It's simply unacceptable that Arsenal will concede 50+ goals in a league season, this guy has been a massive failure.

Reactions: BBF

Toby

Chambers and Mavropanos have looked quite good recently. Signing Evans for 3m is a no brainer, and adding another prime CB apparently a target this summer, IF it happens like this, then Mustafi is the odd one out who should be sold.

Depending on who the new manager will be I defo think it'll be him or Chambers out the door. They're not the young talents, they have value, and if CBs are added, as rumours suggest, there's no place for them here.
I could only see both staying if funds are truly as limited as reported (which I don't believe), and management decides to rather go in ona GK and/or winger.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Chambers, Mavrapanos and Evans.

What a terrible trio, two kids and an old domestic CB.

We need a top CB signing to partner with Mustafi, who will hopefully get his act together with a new manager and system.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Depending on who the new manager will be I defo think it'll be him or Chambers out the door.
I can see Mustafi leaving, but there's no logic in selling Chambers right when he's starting to improve in his position and the fact that he can also do a job on the right makes him to be one of the safe players and possibly a starter next season depending on who we bring in.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Gagan is probably right. We aren't Man City, £35m Mustafi will be used until his limbs fall off.

Look at what we're dealing with, City have just bought Stones and Laporte, after previously spending on Otamendi and Mangala, yet they want De Ligt now too.

Oh and they've got moon head still at the club.

Toby

I can see Mustafi leaving, but there's no logic in selling Chambers right when he's starting to improve in his position and the fact that he can also do a job on the right makes him to be one of the safe players and possibly a starter next season depending on who we bring in.

I personally feel the same. Said he's looked good recently, and as you say he can do a job on the right, if need be.

I'm not Mustafi's harshest critic and definitely think there's a player in there, and even a lot of his ****ups can be traced back to a generally dodgy backline and him being the most aggressive/ball committed defender.

In a different context I'd keep him. But he looked off it for a while, while Chambers has looked more assured. With Koscielny injured some solid PL experience is needed, which is why I think Evans for 3 is a must.

After seeing him I wouldn't want to loan out Mavropanos, he seems ready and up for it. Holding should go out on loan. With Evans added, that's still 4 CBs (5 if you add the injured Kos) and no top quality added - which is something we could end up with if more money is funneled towards signings in other areas. But ideally I would sell Mustafi overseas and bring in a top CB, keeping Chambers. As a German international, he will command a reasonable fee around 25m I suppose, which could be reinvested into another CB.

I'm not too sure what the supposed signing of Soyuncu indicates. Maybe the club will not go in for Evans, which would be a mistake - I seriously doubt going into a season with mostly U23 CBs and an injured Kos is a good idea. Maybe both Chambers and Mustafi will be sold, bringing in as much as 3 CBs: Evans, Soyuncu and a top guy - completely restructuring our backline, which would be in line with Mislintat reportedly wanting a whole new back 5.

Last edited:

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Gagan is probably right. We aren't Man City, £35m Mustafi will be used until his limbs fall off.

Look at what we're dealing with, City have just bought Stones and Laporte, after previously spending on Otamendi and Mangala, yet they want De Ligt now too.

Oh and they've got moon head still at the club.

It's obscene really. Hope they crash and burn at some point. Like city as a club, but the spending of them and Chelsea is unhealthy for the game. (To Chelsea's credit they've sort of moved away from that way of doing things in recent years)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom