• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: Cack On Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

c00lguy

First of all he's not ginger haired he's brown/blonde.

Second of all, as awful as he's been this season he's still only 25. He could yet do a Koscielny and turn his form around. I hope he has that passion inside him. I don't think Wenger would've paid so much for him if he didn't.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
He's just not a very good defender, not good enough at this high level. We've seen him make mistakes regularly since he came here, and he's not physically strong enough for a centre back.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yup. Mertesacker probably the most underrated player we’ve had over this last decade.

Physically he’s well past it now but he ran our (semi-competent) defence from 2012-2015.

He'll make a great manaer/defensive coach

CHOPS

At least Mertesacker would've had the brains to head the ball away and not let it go over his head,Christ what was Mustafi thinking of,he's there to defend the ball then defend it and worry about the foul he was claiming for after surely?

goonerwarsh

Established Member
When you start pining for Mertesacker as some kind of defensive saviour then you know you’re really grasping at straws. He was part of some ****ing awful defensive displays. I’ve seen him wince out of challenges costing us games. He was ok, not a bad player, did a half decent job. Not sure why he’s been given the position to stay on at the club when we’ve had true winners who have left the club rejected for such a position probably because they don’t tow the party line.

We haven’t had a truly world class defender who could do it all ever since Sol Campbell. That’s what a proper f**king centre back looks like. Tall, strong, powerful, dominant, fast, organiser and leader of men.

Last edited:

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Koscielny is a liability without Mertesacker babysitting him.
Not buying it. I'm a fan of Per but let's not **** all over Koscielny now that he's clearly declined massively. Koscielny was our best defender and one of our most important players for years. Per was also a good defender, they worked well together over periods.

Right now we've got Mustafi who's a clear downgrade from Per, and Koscielny who's a shadow of what he was. So many crap defenders at the club right now.

CHOPS

When you start pining for Mertesacker as some kind of defensive saviour then you know you’re really grasping at straws. He was part of some ****ing awful defensive displays. I’ve seen him wince of our challenges costing us games. He was ok, not a bad player, did a half decent job. Not sure why he’s been given the position to stay on at the club when we’ve had true winners who have left the club rejected for such a position probably because they don’t tow the party line.

We haven’t had a truly world class defender who could do it all ever since Sol Campbell. That’s what a proper f**king centre back looks like. Tall, strong, powerful, dominant, fast, organiser and leader of men.
Wasn't pining for the guy and i have seen many of his mistakes I just don't think he'd have let Aguero score like that it would probably have been him being twisted inside out and not a bread and butter header!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Koscielny and Mertesacker were a great partnership, who'd have thought in a team sport it requires players forming good understandings with other players around them to be at their best? I don't think it was ever a case of either carrying the other, they just simply worked well with Kos being the aggressive ball winner and Mertesacker being the commanding reader of the game with his excellent positioning.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Some of the biggest parts of being a defender are being solid and keeping mistakes to a minimum, having a presence/being physically strong, being positionally good.

Meanwhile Wenger is integrating physically weak centre backs with fancy dribbling and passing. Vermaelen, Gabriel, Mustafi, Koscielny (the only success) all of the same ilk. Relatively small, weak build, quick and good on the ball. Need a completely new outlook. It sounds ridiculous saying this but defending needs to come first.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
That is totally nonsense my god. You think you know better than Wenger about football?

don't think I know better but plenty a coaches out there who does at this point

He is clearly doing something wrong hence our league position and lack of game and all our losses. that anybody who follows/knows football can see.

If you don't then you have drunk the kool-aid

and if it is the players who are sh!tty then that is on him to because he has signed every single player

it used to be that players who left us never reached the heigths they had reached with us with somebody else

now players come to us and play worse

CHOPS

Some of the biggest parts of being a defender are being solid and keeping mistakes to a minimum, having a presence/being physically strong, being positionally good.

Meanwhile Wenger is integrating physically weak centre backs with fancy dribbling and passing. Vermaelen, Gabriel, Mustafi, Koscielny (the only success) all of the same ilk. Relatively small, weak build, quick and good on the ball. Need a completely new outlook. It sounds ridiculous saying this but defending needs to come first.
Exactly my point no nonsense with Mertesacker defend first!

carlito'sway

Established Member
What an utter disappointment has he been, unbelievable. Needs to be sold in the summer, along with Xhaka.
70 Mill down the drain.

I gave up on that dude long time ago. I was disappointed he was not shipped out last Summer. He is Verm 2.0, complete liability.
I used to be a Xhaka fan before he joined AFC, but he is definitely not good enough. I agree he should be sold as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom