Shkodran Mustafi: Chaos

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Jerome_Gooner, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Troopz

Troopz Well-Known Member

If we can get anything near 10m for him, I'd be delighted.

Milan were shocking tonight but come this weekend, he'll be up against Troy Deeney. I'm sure he's licking his lips at the prospect of going toe to toe with Mustafi.
    El Duderino likes this.
  2. mavelous

mavelous Well-Known Member Trusted

Give him and Xhaka to RB Leipzig for free.
  3. DanDare

DanDare Not interesting enough for a custom title

I don’t know, is there a top defender in there with better coaching? Probably not.
  4. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Well-Known Member

It's this sort of game that completely confuses me with Mustafi. He can be a very consummate defender on his day and then turn into an utter liability the next. Still not convinced by him but still not lost all faith in him either. Supporting this club is such a mindf*ck.
  5. Newchange

Newchange Active Member

Troy Deeney at the weekend will be interesting
  6. TakeChillPill

TakeChillPill Well-Known Member

We went on an unbeaten run with mustafi and kos for almost half a season in 2016.

His biggest issue is that he always seems to switch of or get complacent/over confident.

He really needs to work on his concentration for 90mins and focus on doing the simple things right.
  7. Brown Gooner

Brown Gooner Well-Known Member

That and he needs to watch a few tackling videos of Chiellini or Ramos and maybe have a chat with his fellow Germans (Hummels and Boateng) about tackling.
    Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  8. Newchange

Newchange Active Member

Sell him and move on.
  9. Newchange

Newchange Active Member

This guy was ready to head to Italy last summer. I remember him being benched for the 1st few games this Liverpool especially.
  10. Brown Gooner

Brown Gooner Well-Known Member

Koulibaly and De Vrij are NOT coming to Arsenal. That is the bitter reality.
  11. Jasard

Jasard #PlayAMNInMidfield

Apparently Gary Neville couldn't believe how much we were paying for him because they couldn't get rid at one point.
  12. Bigbludfire

Bigbludfire Well-Known Member

What are you on? Him and Koscielny were marking a virgin up front.
  13. CurryFlavoured

CurryFlavoured Well-Known Member

There was a point where I was hopeful. Unlike some of our previous disasters Mustafi seemed physically good (albeit small). He's quick, agile and jumps well, and seems comfortable on the ball, so I had some hope initially. But as time has gone on he's proven that he makes so many stupid errors. And its not physical errors like being overpowered/outpaced, its utterly ridiculous brainless errors that happen regularly. Jumping out of the line, being caught on the ball or being out of position. The errors have been so bad that I think he's beyond coaching, his instincts and decisions are all wrong for a defender.
    Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  14. CurryFlavoured

CurryFlavoured Well-Known Member

I mean, look at the defending here. Talk about a lack of sense of danger and urgency. If he needs to be coached to not run out of the line like that then we may as well go back to the start and teach him how to put one foot in front of the other.
    Mrs Bergkamp and celestis like this.
  15. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

You shouldn't have to coach a guy things like that and some of the other stuff he does , it's common sense.
    El Duderino and CurryFlavoured like this.
  16. Tosker

Tosker Well-Known Member

Even illuminating

This man could be a real presence at the back for us if he can just stay focused and be more disciplined
  17. Mitch

Mitch Love Arsenal, Hate Ramsey

According whoscored, Mustafi is the PL best defender this season.

I wouldn't say that myself but he was back to his best today.
  18. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Stats don't say anything he win many tackles headers but his positioning and marking so poor. But still today he deal well with Deeney
  19. HBL

HBL Well-Known Member

No matter how many good games he has for us between now and the end of the season I’d still want us to sell him in the summer.
  20. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

Something happened before the Milan game, because there's been a massive improvement defensively in the team compared to what came before.
    This guy needs to be told to play it as simple as possible whenever under pressure, not to pass it back or make an extra dribble and to not make anymore of those petty fouls just outside of the box.
    When he's playing well he's quite the beast, but he tends to overcomplicate himself when you least expect it.