• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi: Cack On Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyinneedofhumor

I know Mustafi has generally played on the right and that the general consensus is that we need a new left sided centre back (having previously also tried Holding there) to replace Koscielny, but I actually think Mustafi would be better suited to the playing on the left than the right, with the calmer Chambers or Holding at CB (or a Mertesacker type new signing).

CB partnerships can generally be characterised as having the aggressive front foot defender (Koscielny, Terry, Vidic) and the calm, composed sweeper type (Mertesacker, Carvalho, Ferdinand). In the cases of the front foot defenders, they all played on the left of their partnerships.

Mustafi certainly fits under this label more than the other, so I think he would better suited as a LCB too. I am of the opinion that it is more suitable for the right footed aggressive CB to play on the left, as it easier for them to nip in ahead and not go through the back of the forward to get to the ball, if they are coming in from their opposing side.
Take it that you meant 3 at the back.
Question : Why was Koscielny previously playing on the right of the 3 whilst Mustafi was in the middle?
I can only guess it's because the LCB or RCB needs to be a "ball playing" defender in current setup. In any case I don't think Koscielny executed that role brilliantly as well.

Aside from those moments tackling as you suggested, how do you think Mustafi will fare for the rest of the time if he is the LCB?

(Edit : How about playing Xhaka as the LCB instead, if we were to go along these lines?)

Last edited:

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Take it that you meant 3 at the back.
Question : Why was Koscielny previously playing on the right of the 3 whilst Mustafi was in the middle?
I can only guess it's because the LCB or RCB needs to be a "ball playing" defender in current setup. In any case I don't think Koscielny executed that role brilliantly as well.

Aside from those moments tackling as you suggested, how do you think Mustafi will fare for the rest of the time if he is the LCB?

(Edit : How about playing Xhaka as the LCB instead, if we were to go along these lines?)
Everything else makes sense. But Xhaka as LCB? Do keep in mind that Cech doesn't stop penalties.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I really like him as central cb in 3 man defense. Think that suits him perfectly. He aint perfect or worlds best CB, but he is still young and plays at good level constantly. Dont know what happened in the summer with all that last minute rumors around him, but I do hope it was not as serious and that its all behind us.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Needs to stop the silly fouls, some are ridiculous.

zhaggy

Decent game but he needs to leearn when to sit back and when to be aggressive and attack. Made some unnecessary fouls throughout the game.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
I know Mustafi has generally played on the right and that the general consensus is that we need a new left sided centre back (having previously also tried Holding there) to replace Koscielny, but I actually think Mustafi would be better suited to the playing on the left than the right, with the calmer Chambers or Holding at CB (or a Mertesacker type new signing).

CB partnerships can generally be characterised as having the aggressive front foot defender (Koscielny, Terry, Vidic) and the calm, composed sweeper type (Mertesacker, Carvalho, Ferdinand). In the cases of the front foot defenders, they all played on the left of their partnerships.

Mustafi certainly fits under this label more than the other, so I think he would better suited as a LCB too. I am of the opinion that it is more suitable for the right footed aggressive CB to play on the left, as it easier for them to nip in ahead and not go through the back of the forward to get to the ball, if they are coming in from their opposing side.
Unreal how I called this, tbh.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He's that bad that i'm praying to the old gods and the new that we sign Evans, and i'm not a religious man.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
He makes Cygan look like Tony Adams

Another Mangala. Just fess up you poor scouts Arsenal.

We've blown a **** load of money on useless players like him, Xhaka, and Lacazette.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Another player that needs "the right partner".

Being a defender at Arsenal is not easy, but him going to ground at every chance he gets and not getting the ball tells me enough about him at Arsenal.

Him and Xhaka ball watched a lot of the game today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom