• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shkodran Mustafi (Out)

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
should get at least 20M from him yes he had s**t season but he still in good age and could improve with Juve.

Mastercutor

I think (and hope) that we will see another Mustafi this season, I don't think he will be that bad all of a sudden. One factor is that the defence probably will be shielded better this year, with Torreira coming in and another setup/system too. This will hopefully mean that he can improve on his defending, avoid lapses of concentration and getting caught out of position due to his aggressive style of defending and also making the right decisions. There's a good defender in there, no doubt about it, and hopefully the coaching team can bring him out.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The fee we will pay Juve to take him out our our hands? ;)

A necessary measure to be sure. But getting shot of Mustafi & not replacing him with Benatia would be criminal.

A player swap is the best outcome for all involved.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Juve will come in with a measly loan offer and we'll tell them to **** off.
A loan with an obligation to buy for 25m give or take suits all parties. We get his wages of the books they have money set aside for Ronaldo and don't fall foul of FFP. We free up a squad place and like I said everyone is happy.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
As ****ty as Mustafi has been for us in the last season, he's had very good performances for us as well. Aside from that he had good spells in Spain and Italy.

He also has all the ingredients for a qualit defender - speed, aggressiveness (sometimes too much or at least used in the wrong way), solid on headers, a good enough passing range,..

He will probably never, no matter what coach and how high on confidence he could possibly get, be a tier 1 defender, but in today's world and market he's a definite 25m CB. Considering his age anything below that is absolute daylight robbery.

In summary, Mustafi has shown in his career that, if he is to play in a system which suits him (mostly teams that don't play a crazy high line as we do), where he has clear orders and a compact defense, he can flourish and be Tier2 without a problem.
We also should not forget that the last two seasons at Arsenal have been almost unbearable for Wenger and the team. Doesn't matter whether Wenger out was right or wrong, the constant doom and gloom at this club was one hell of a performance killer for most of our players

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
As ****ty as Mustafi has been for us in the last season, he's had very good performances for us as well. Aside from that he had good spells in Spain and Italy.

He also has all the ingredients for a qualit defender - speed, aggressiveness (sometimes too much or at least used in the wrong way), solid on headers, a good enough passing range,..

He will probably never, no matter what coach and how high on confidence he could possibly get, be a tier 1 defender, but in today's world and market he's a definite 25m CB. Considering his age anything below that is absolute daylight robbery.

In summary, Mustafi has shown in his career that, if he is to play in a system which suits him (mostly teams that don't play a crazy high line as we do), where he has clear orders and a compact defense, he can flourish and be Tier2 without a problem.
We also should not forget that the last two seasons at Arsenal have been almost unbearable for Wenger and the team. Doesn't matter whether Wenger out was right or wrong, the constant doom and gloom at this club was one hell of a performance killer for most of our players

A pressing game requires a high line. We will continue to play with a high line under Emery so if he can't function in that type of defense he's ****ed.

Mastercutor

A pressing game requires a high line. We will continue to play with a high line under Emery so if he can't function in that type of defense he's ****ed.

True. He needs to be paired with a central defender that can is fast enough to cover up behind him when he uses his aggression. That's why Koscielny worked so well with him when he arrived here, as he had the speed to get in behind him and cover for him.

But I believe Torreira will be very useful here, looking at how he has performed for Uruguay in the World Cup, as long as they can communicate reasonably well on the pitch, (despite their language barriers). And I also hope that Leno will be able to help organize the defense from his position too.

lucky7

True. He needs to be paired with a central defender that can is fast enough to cover up behind him when he uses his aggression. That's why Koscielny worked so well with him when he arrived here, as he had the speed to get in behind him and cover for him.

But I believe Torreira will be very useful here, looking at how he has performed for Uruguay in the World Cup, as long as they can communicate reasonably well on the pitch, (despite their language barriers). And I also hope that Leno will be able to help organize the defense from his position too.
Sokratis is not all that speedy though as a CB partner. He is used to playing in a high line for a pressing team, so I'm not saying he isn't suited for the job...he just won't be able to cover Mustafi for pace.

When it comes to pace Mustafi isn't slow. If anything he will be the one covering the long balls for Sokratis. It seems like the worst case scenario to me for Mustafi if I'm honest.

tcahill

Mustafi has showed plenty of promise alongside his sh**tshows. Unless a really juicy offer comes in he should stay. He's now one of 5 CBs we have, and unlike under Wenger, he's by no means guaranteed a starting spot. Competition and a decent midfield in front of him could really bring out his best.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli

For the first time in many years we will have a CDM who will sit back in front of defense. Not only too receive passes and play them sideways but to actually cover and assist in recovery when we face pressure.

Instead of Xhaka (who doesn't track back enough and is no defender), Ramsey (who is an attacker), El Neny (passmaster, no ball winner), or Coquelin (who kept bombing forward and popping up into the opposition box as a striker), we now have that guy who really functions as an extra defender and who can also break up play further a little up the pitch.

TornadoTed

Established Member
If we could swap Mustafi for Benatia either as a swap deal or sell Mustafi and buy Benatia as I expect them to have a similar value it's a no brainer in my opinion.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom