• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Short on options

KingReyes

Established Member
We definatley needed Dennis especially for Chelski. If Reyes can play well against Southampton it will give him the confidence for the Chelski game.

Sammer

Established Member
Arsène said:
Deep end is if Henry is injured. This is a wading pool.

Exactly, this is the deep-end horror-scenario. Everything else we can deal with (e.g. Viera being injured this season).

I have no worries about Reyes filling the gap...

Andrew

I agree with Wenger Reyes isn't completely right yet. He's still adjusting to the pace of the league so it will still take quite some matches before we see the best of him IMO. He has to look at Henry and learn off him on how to combine his pace and technique with the English game. But anyway, we've only had one consistently in form striker this season so even if he doesn't fire just yet we should still be getting the good results. Southampton at home should be the first real game he can make his stamp on, provided he gets the right conditions.

Adam

Established Member
Reyes is the same age as Ali - Bergkamp, Pires and Henry all gained physical mass from that age.

This will help him on the long term to become a better, and better player - Injuries permitting.

Consistent Premiership football improves your stength also. It's a physical, mental, and technique adaptation. He will have to learn to be more economical and speedy with his touches ala Bergkamp so that he can play first time angled balls - he will also if playing the DB10 will have to develop a technique of receiving the ball back to goal, turning, and playing a first time ball (whether he uses strength or technique). Kanu has the strenth to take ten touches.

Wenger has hinted Reyes was bought to score goals - meaning that Henry may well be the new Bergkamp and adopt his movement and position, but as he has incredible ability - he can get 20 goals a season too.

By the way - What A.Hussain said in another thread is very true - bone and muscle mass helps players to maintain pace over longer distances at the same time as taking them to another gear ala Thierry. Reyes like Freddie, may be an acceleration merchant, but like Gronkjaer can seem to incorporate pace over a longer distance too without the muscle mass of a sprinter. Remarkable.

this is what he was bought for, no matter what age he is. the guy single handedly demolished madrid so the sight of lundekvaam or gallas ain't going to make him sweat.

A.Hussain

southampton have a very watertight, centered defense. our only option will be to pass the ball from the flanks to behind the defense line. lets hope reyes is up to the task. personally i dont think southampton is a good team for the spaniard to be blooded by. it could dent his confidence

Adam

Established Member
I don't think they are that bad for Reyes - Lundekvam and Higginbotham/Svensson/Hall are all tall and would struggle with his speed and size.

lewdikris

Established Member
Southampton are good in defence, but Adam is right. They're quite rigid (like Liverpool) and struggle most against pace and movement, which is what Reyes has. He'll start tomorrow and hopefully Bergy will be back for Saturday.

Mark

Established Member
i think it's good for reyes to get more games, he'll know he has to perform and hopefully he will give it a good go, if he really doesn't seem ready i don't think starting bentley is that unrealistic an option, he seems rather comfortable when he plays, and if he was upfront with henry it would take some pressure off him. obviously i hope bergkamp is back soon but it's not as bad as it seems.

Anders Limpar

Michael Svensson and I played together as kids in Sweden, he's not a great footballer but great defender...

...would love to see Reyes run eights around him , haha!!!

KoLo28

Reyes will do well against Southampton, due to the tall build of the defence and also I know its a long shot but he looked better against city at highbury, maybe the home crowd give him the confidence he needs in his early stages in the English game. Bergkamp will be a must for the chelsea game as his strength and experience is what's needed against a very skillfull side.

seanconvey66

the geezers run rings around the whole of the spanish league and i dont think coming up against Southampton or the ageing dinosaur Desailly is going to put the fear of life into him.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom