• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shouldn't Wenger change the system to 4-4-2 Off. !?

1997/98:

-----------------David--------------------

Tony---Upson---Keown----Dixon/Winterburn

Petit/Parlour---Vieira/Platt-----Overmars

-----------------Bergy/Ian------------------

--------Ian/Bergy-----Bergy/Wreh--------

Arsenal achieved the domestic 'Double', for the second time in the Club's history....

Key Players

Tony Adams
The inspirational Arsenal captain will miss the first two games of the season through suspension, and there remain nagging doubts over his complete recovery from an ankle problem that has plagued him over the past two seasons. However, his return to the middle of defence is likely to be crucial to Arsenal's chances of success, judging from pre-season games in which the defence has seemed to lack leadership and organisation.

Dennis Bergkamp
Some stunning goals and world class performances from the Dutch maestro last season have whetted the appetite for more, and if Bergkamp can consistently reproduce that sort of form and recreate his successful international partnership with Marc Overmars, then fans at Highbury could be in for a feast of attacking football.

Marc Overmars
A key ingredient of title winning Arsenal teams in the modern era has been a winger who can consistently provide accurate crosses from either flank. On reputation, Overmars is exactly the player to emulate the likes of Limpar, Marwood and Armstrong. However, whether he has fully regained his pace and form following serious injury remains to be seen, and could be instrumental in deciding whether the championship will return to Highbury.

:arrow: Of course I know (and I saw) the success of Arsène Wenger with his 4-4-2 Def., but I think for the future and with players like Bergy, Fabregas, Van Persie, Thierry, Reyes, Pires, Freddie .... we should play more offensive! If we want to win the CL (it is time!!!)

My Team 2004/05:

------------------------Jens------------------------------

Lauren-----Campbell-----Toure/Hoyte/Cygan---Cole

Freddie/Pennant-----Vieira----------Van Persie/Pires

-----------------Bergy/Fábregas/Edu-------------------

------------Reyes/Bergy----Henry/Reyes--------------

My Key Players 2004/05:

Campbell
He is the rock, with Sol we can (have to) win the CL, without him it is not possible....

Bergy
It can become THE SEASON for Dennis! His retirement could stimulate him... and maybe he stays for another year (pleasepleaseplease!)

Reyes
The time of sitting tight is over! If he will become THE partner of Thierry...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really want to see this "triangle", like Barcelona, or Basel play with!

What do you guys think?

burnsjed

Established Member
I have to say, I remember the 97/98 team as the following
Seamen
Dixon Adams Keown Winterburn

Parlour Vieira Petit Overmars

Anelka/Wright Bergkamp

Not sure where your team/ formation came from,
you have Henry playing who hadn't even joined us, you have no Winterburn.
Ok Wreh played towards teh end when Bergie was injured, but this was the team
and formation we played

westo

It's to attacking for europe, Porto only played with one real striker and they won it, they also had 2 defensive midfeilder's Maniche and Costinha which we have in Vieira and Gilberto. However i would like Cesc to be in the starting line up for home games in the UCL to provide some more creativity.

burnsjed

Established Member
plus the team and formation from 97/98 is totally wrong, we played 4-4-2
Dixon left back!!
Adams right back!!
Petit right midfield!!!
Platt centre midfield !!!!

What you smoking

Canuck

Established Member
Good point, though I think the defense was more solid in '98 with Adams, Keown, Dixon all being outstanding through the season. Glad someone pointed out the absence of N.W. in your defensive line-up.
The current defensive line-up has the potential to be as good but seem to have a little work to go still.
No offense to Petit and Overmars but I think that we are doing better in midfield lately, despite the only player remaining from that line-up being Vieira. The undefeated run is testament of the hardwork our midfield has been doing.
I do like the idea of Fabregas playing behind Reyes and Henry, but then that pushes Dennis out and I'm not crazy about that. Maybe a plan for the future, or if Dennis is injured. I want to see DB play as much as possible this season.

But like S.Lass said, don't bet on it happening anytime soon.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i have a feeling that cesc will be operating in a deep-lying playmaking role in the future similar to that gilberto has now and the likes of mauro silva, pirlo and alonso. he will be partnered by a box to box player which could be vieira or flamini who certainly has the stamina to fill that role. cesc is positionally good and uses the ball well, qualities required for that position. all he needs to do now is improve physically and that will come with age.

burnsjed said:
you have Henry playing who hadn't even joined us, you have no Winterburn.

Oh shoot! That was a fault... I didn't want Henry there,...

And Winterburn I totally forgot... :evil:

I should stop smoking p*** ... :mrgreen:

---
Your formation is true! But we played a lot of games with Bergy behind Ian and Wreh/Anelka!! I just want to refer to this triangle formation!
It doesn't say we played with this formation all the time.

burnsjed

Established Member
we only reverted to that when we were chasing a game, we always started with 4-4-2.
Wreh only started towards the end after Bergie was injured.
Our success was built on Pettit and Vieira solidifying the midfield and protecting the back four.
Parlour had the season of his life on the right and Marcy always played on the left

burnsjed said:
plus the team and formation from 97/98 is totally wrong, we played 4-4-2
Dixon left back!!
Adams right back!!
Petit right midfield!!!
Platt centre midfield !!!!

What you smoking

That's not true. We played a lot of games with Bergy behind Ian and Wreh/Anelka! I didn't say all the time!

And yes, maybe I was smoking p***, because I wrote Henry and forgot Winterburn.. :shock:

Jinn

Established Member
Canuck said:
I do like the idea of Fabregas playing behind Reyes and Henry, but then that pushes Dennis out and I'm not crazy about that. Maybe a plan for the future, or if Dennis is injured. I want to see DB play as much as possible this season.

Cesc won't play as much any more now that Vieira's back. How does Fabregas playing push Dennis out?

Arsène experimented with a new 4-4-2 last season:

Lehmann

Lauren Sol Kolo Cole

Gilberto Paddy Edu Bob

Reyes Henry

This was easily changed to Bob operating behind the strikers at times - and seemed to work well.

Canuck

Established Member
How does Fabregas playing push Dennis out?

If AW was experimenting with the triangle the attacking midfielder or 3rd striker playing behind the front two would preferably (IMO) be Bergkamp, his experience combined with Reyes and Henry's speed and attacking instincts would be deadly. That said, it would be almost as interesting to have Cesc be the floater behind Reyes and Henry. Substituting DB's experience for CF's speed and youth. So if (and this is the big IF) Cesc got the nod to play the forward floater it would free up Vieira for a defensive MF roll while Cesc could easily cover midfield and be free to move forward in direct support for the front 2. Which would of courses mean that there wouldn't be a place for Bergy since he would be wasted in a strictly midfield roll.

Jinn

Established Member
There's no point in Wenger doing that (Bergkamp behind Henry and Reyes). That's not a strategy for the future.

Cesc, maybe yes. But I think he may be rested more this season. He's only 17. Edu more likely - but then again, that's our normal CM partnership with Vieira.

burnsjed

Established Member
I have no problems with you suggesting a formation, but to use a previous team that didn't employ that system is where it broke down, as I said we didn't start games with that formation, I think if you go and check, previous to Bergkamp being injured Wreh hardly featured (especially as a starter), and by the time he was starting Bergie wasn't.

We needed four in midfield because the defence were getting old and needed protecting.
If you remember Adams almost said the exactly same thing around Christmas, and Vieira and Petit took my defensive rolls.
Now witha younger defence that is not as problematic, but with the goals we conceec, not sure trying to score even more goals is the answer, but thats just my humble opinion.

Jinn

Established Member
Now witha younger defence that is not as problematic, but with the goals we conceec, not sure trying to score even more goals is the answer, but thats just my humble opinion.

That's this season. Without Vieira and Campbell.

Last season, same defence: best defensive record in the league.

burnsjed said:
I have no problems with you suggesting a formation, but to use a previous team that didn't employ that system is where it broke down, as I said we didn't start games with that formation, I think if you go and check, previous to Bergkamp being injured Wreh hardly featured (especially as a starter), and by the time he was starting Bergie wasn't.

We needed four in midfield because the defence were getting old and needed protecting.
If you remember Adams almost said the exactly same thing around Christmas, and Vieira and Petit took my defensive rolls.

It is true we didn't start with the triangle. I never said this. But Bergy was playing behind the forward(s) to make the equalizer if the other team had the lead. That's why I chose this formation. I thought it was so. I just want to see the triangle formation again!

burnsjed

Established Member
Very true Jinn, just trying to point out the difference between the ages of the 2 different teams defence.
Though with our more attacking midfield, or should I say less players adaptable to shielding the defence, (with or without Campbell) we are going to concede more goals then when we played with 2 defensive minded midfielders.
But we score more goals so rather then win 3-1 we win 5-3!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom