• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Signings You're Glad We Never Made

musicmonkey

Established Member
I was flicking through the Arsenal subreddit where they've got a thread going on biggest transfer bullets we've dodged over the years. After looking at the Transfer Rumours and reading some old posts on players who've since faded into obscurity i thought it'd be interesting to get what you guys think on some of the players we've dodged.

So:
1) Which almost signings/heavily rumoured player are you happy we dodged?

2) What recent rumours do you think we'll look back on and think the same?

3) Any players in particular you were set on at the time but turned out badly?

Example:
1) Balotelli was pined for last year and not getting him leveled quite the criticism at Wenger. Since then he's gone on to be quite the spectacular flop.

2) I think Jackson Martinez won't be one we'll wish we'd signed.

3) I thought M'Villa was a great fit for us, he's not really gone anywhere and the boss has since slotted Coquelin in quite nicely at the DM spot.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Ryan Babel was someone I was very high on, and we were strongly linked with him. Bullet dodged as he never looked a top level talent.

Balotelli from recent times, another I wanted badly as I thought he would click under Wenger, but its looking more and more he has attitude/heart issues.

Sakho, we were always linked, he was hyped as the next big thing in France etc, again, another I wanted, got sucked in by the hype etc - proven to be a donkey.

Token Yank

1.) Bernard/Jesus Navas/Alexandre Pato
2.) Jackson Martinez
3.) 98% of rumors get me excited and most turn out badly but if I had just one pick, Yoann Gourcuff duh!!! Still want him to this day.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Yann M'Villa, Felipe Melo, Salomon Kalou, Yoann Gourcuff, Demba Ba, Scott Dann, Mario Balotelli, Gaby Mudingayi, Esteban Granero, Freddy Adu, Nikola Zigic, Yohan Mollo, Niko Kranjcar, Mathieu Coutadeur, Steven Defour, Obafemi Martins, Roque Santa Cruz, Clement Chamtome, Ricky Alvarez, Hugo Rodallega, Chris Samba, Taye Taiwo, Elijero Elia, Aly Cissokho, Ganso.
William Carvalho, Ki, Adrien Rabiot, Gerard Moreno, Josip Drmic.
Arshavin, Miyaichi, Gervinho, wasn't keen on Andre Santos but didn't think he would be actually that bad.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Gomis - was always linked with him when he was getting games for France, never wanted him- surprised we never did as he's very much the modern Wenger striker (Big, Played in France, athletic,barely scores).

Gouffran - similar reasons as above.

Ben Arfa - Was a fan at one point

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

M'Vila, Samba, Schwarzer, Given, Jagielka, Dempsey, Dembele, Kalou, Afellay, Balotelli, Babel, Parker.

Can guarantee we'll look back at Kondogbia, Martinez, etc as those too. Hopefully Schneiderlinn when people begin to realise Coquelin is better and there was no point spending near 30 million for a bench warmer.

I really wanted us to get Villa just 2/3 years ago, but he didn't really do much in his final year at Barca or for Atletico. Reina, really wanted him but it was almost all down hill after that.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Never really linked, but I remember A-M was like a house on fire when Lorik Cana was signed from Sunderland for only 5M and we had only Song at DM.

Gonalons, Rabiot, Mario Suarez and many other CMs

M'Vila was a typical Arsène signing and I like many others jumped into the bandwagon. Now that he's gone missing, I'm glad we dodged that bullet

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

1) It was my first summer really browsing the net for arsenal transfer rumours, it also happened to be the first summer the financial shackles were off. I'm happy that Fellaini at DM nonsense never happened. Would have been the death of Wenger.

2) Don't think we'll regret not signing Higuain.

3) Really wanted Ben Arfa and...Chris Samba. The less said about that, the better.

Jasinho

All of those signings that we were so relentlessly linked with every year for a few years. Frey, M'villa, ben arfa, gourcuff, gouffran, tiote, giovinco, Yanga Mbiwa, aly cissoko, Ba. There's a whole lot more that's been even worse, Balotelli from last season springing to mind.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Sick idea for a thread.

Glad we avoided-
  • Fellaini
  • Paulinho
  • Lamela
  • Gomis
We'll be glad we avoided-
  • Jackson Martinez
  • Bacca
  • Milner
I was very high on Paulinho, he looked a talented midfielder. He's been utterly woeful for Spuds, they're fans think he's an Arsenal fan the way he plays for them.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Mario Balotelli, Joe Cole, Chris Samba, Scott Dann, Roger Johnson

Jackson Martinez

Lukas Podolski, Gervinho

GDeep™

League is very weak
Kevin Hofland. We were interested as he was the next big Dutch defender after De Boer and Stam etc, god knows what happened to him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom