Site update 2009/10

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Anonymous, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Doubt it'll be huge traffic tomorrow (today). ;)

But I've just received an update saying that our server providers have a workaround and are running tests to see if it's going to be okay.

2. albakos

albakos Proud Albanian from Kosova Administrator

Jonathan, I also have a forum ( unrelated to sports on vBulletin) and I am having load issues lately.

I run on VPS with Apache CentOS distro, and php5.0.16 with mysql 5.something. :)

I have looked over at options for dedicated server and one that captured my attention is the new server setups with SSD(Solid-State Drive). But they cost too much$300/mo. The regular dedicated server setup cost from 120-200$/mo.

Here are my membership stats: Members: 18,544 Threads: 38,421 Posts: 215,955 Total Thread Views: 15,584,910

My question is if you run a dedicated server and you're comfortable to share your server setup specs, can you please post here or PM me what is your setup that handles such a huge traffic. The pageload of your site is impressive. I have less traffic than here but lately my site is loading slower, which is causing some frustration to my membership.

I look forward to your reply.
    Many thanks.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

albakos - Pretty big forum, how do you find the time to be on here? :)

PM me your email and we can have a chat. Would love to help out.

4. albakos

albakos Proud Albanian from Kosova Administrator

Well :)
    I love Arsenal and I enjoy reading although I am not a good writer, but I am good at venting my frustration after matchday sometimes. ;)

I will PM you shortly. I can only use gmail at work.

Thanks for your time.

5. ricky1985

ricky1985 Well-Known Member Elite

How come the 'active users online' data at the bottom of the forum index page has been changed from users online in the last 5 minutes, to users online in the last minute?

It's not a long enough time-frame to get a feel of who's online.

Edit- it's been changed back! :)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello all

Sorry, but I wasn't aware that the forum was down and that only the main site was up. In the end, it was something really simple that was keeping it down so I am a bit embarrassed.

Apologies for the inconvenience, but I'm still looking into HOW it went down.

Thanks again.

7. gunnerGH

gunnerGH New Member

:D No problems Jon

8. PS

PS New Member

Jon

This is not good enough. You have said recently you have made appropriate changes to the infrastructure of the forum to stop events like today happening? They happen far too often, it is not acceptable. Other forums like Red-Cafe have the same if not higher frequency of users yet they do not shut down for hours on end once every three weeks.

If this was a one off I would not be writing this.

Sort it out.

Angry forum member.

9. Fever

Fever New Member

PS,

It must be very difficult for Jonathan to run a forum as active as this, and I'm sure he has already identified the problem and is trying his best to fix it.

Cut the guy some slack, as by the looks of things he single handedly runs this wonderful site.

10. Classy

Classy New Member

Great post Fever. I totaly agree. Could you make this site PS. I doubt it. Look how good it is. I was luckt to find it and not many other can compare to it.

11. IBL

IBL New Member Elite

What you need to remember PS is that AM is not a paid/subscription service, you've no rights to demand anything, if its not to your satisfaction then by all means go elsewhere

12. PS

PS New Member

OK fair enough people but that doesn't excuse a big site like this one to crash a lot.

Jon does a lot of hard work behind the scenes but I just want the site to be more reliable.

Thanks.

13. James

James New Member Elite

I thought this was a sarcastic post at first.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

PS - You're more than welcome to join a more 'reliable' forum, as it's obvious that we do not meet your high standards. The door, is open.

All

I'm still looking into the issue, and how it occurred. What I've done is implemented some monitoring to check for the forum's availability. Once again, apologies for the inconvenience, but the uptime on the forum will improve.

15. alboots101

alboots101 Well-Known Member

jon.....as we say in brum....fook him...;)

16. TheCMT

TheCMT New Member

Good to see that site is UP yesterday we were updating each other on FB :p

17. dodge

dodge New Member

Oh...paid service- the same I suggested donkeys ago, this way you'll have less disruption; both technologically and psychologically. And moreso A_M would be ONE community, not disbanded in likkle groups.

Whachoo reckon, Chongster!?

Good morning all, too early I know- catheter was to the brim!

18. Swish

Swish New Member

In fact, I'm coming round to agreeing. It will stop tits like Baghditis who has created more than 20 accounts after he keeps getting banned.

One payment, one time.

19. DaGunners

DaGunners New Member

You're right Swish, but it would also put off a lot of users who are good posters and can't afford it.

20. THunter

THunter Are you not entertained? Trusted

I am 15...will i get a special discount..:wink:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.