Site update 2009/10

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Anonymous, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dodge

dodge New Member

Yes, concessionary payments in the form of restricted access to A_M for U16 and OAPs, the lot sandwiched between them get the big hit.

You like it, Northern?

2. THunter

THunter Are you not entertained? Trusted

I like, although i will pay full price if you like.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Considering the fact that we have over 25,000 registered members, if each one donated £1 a month, we'd be able to afford a server cluster. ;)

But, as we have a lesser number of active members, I'm not sure how much £1 per member would go, especially as all of them would want to be promoted to Elite Members.

4. Swish

Swish New Member

I'm thinking it should just be £1 to be able to get onto the Lobby JC. It will seriously improve the level of quality because lets face it, the only ones who are gonna complain are gonna be the kids that do nothing but try and wind others up anyway.

I think you have a strong enough memberbase here to trial it out. It will pay for the servers and it will keep traffic down on matchdays allowing the members who do actually contribute to be able to access the site and also be able to post without their message getting lost amongst all the knee jerk crap.

5. Swish

Swish New Member

Knowing dodge, he was being sarcastic as hell. I also agree with him, why should you get a discount and no one eles in the primary target range?

6. THunter

I would have thought the wink would give it away...i was joking.

7. DaGunners

DaGunners New Member

I like the ideas Swish, but I doubt people would pay to just be in the Lobby.

8. dodge

dodge New Member

You have the idea of server costs, maintenance etc. I was thinking along the lines of categorising members and costs, such as the games at the grove. You lay down the law, either cough up without any auto-promotion anticipation or get out.

It's a win-win, Chongster. Sort it out!

I was borderline sarcastic, Swish and surely wasn't joking Northern. I am concerned of your A-levels and Classy's revision at school :lol:

9. THunter

No need to be. :wink:

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hello everyone

You may have noticed that in the last few weeks the advertisements on the site were more about dating than sports. This was because our previous ad providers (Sky Digital Media) had chosen to terminate their contract with us due to the drop in revenue in the advertising industry as a whole.

This was disappointing as Sky are one of the bigger publishing houses out there and they only had two Arsenal sites on their portfolio - us and Arsenal.com - which was quite flattering.

Anyway, I've been hunting around for some more ad providers because this website relies on the revenue for the advertising to keep it running. The monthly server costs are substantial - it's closer to £1000 than £100 - and without advertising I would have struggled to pay for it out of my monthly salary!

So it took a couple of weeks to get contracts, etc. sorted and I'm glad that we finally have the new ads online, meaning more sports-related ads will be served.

One of my problems with Sky was that they couldn't serve ads to our visitors outside of the UK, so these users were getting served Google ads. Our new advertisers can serve to our international traffic, so I would appreciate it if any of you are currently outside the UK, can you take a few screenshots of the site and PM them to me?

I can also be reached at twitter.com/arsenalmania or twitter.com/jonathanchong

Thanks, and we hope you continue to enjoy the forum!

11. dodge

dodge New Member

Another reason to go pay-as-you-post. You can tell I only just finished watching Cameron speech.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you're not in the UK, US or Serbia, could you PM me a screenshot of what the ads look like on your screen?

Cheers.

13. dodge

dodge New Member

Information

Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
    -----

I get the above message when I try to search for something, are you guys aware?

14. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Arse Emeritus Administrator

More than one search in quick succession?

15. DREVAK

DREVAK New Member

The search limitation is especially annoying when you want to access a diffent page of search results. Surely it could be configured to not work like that, and not consider going to page 2 of the just finished search as a brand new search command.

16. Swish

Swish New Member

I often search my name to see if I missed any posts that people expected me to reply on. It brings up people who I have blocked, but won't let me access those replies.

Probably for the best anyway...

17. dodge

dodge New Member

Yes, as well as fair few minutes apart.

LoL Swish, take it easy mate...

18. Shue

Shue New Member Elite

Yeah that's the most annoying thing, a query that returns multiple pages should let you view every page rather than regard them as a fresh search that you're unable to perform.

19. dodge

dodge New Member

Yes, not good at all.
    What's the update on Shue's post, Chongster?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just wanted to say how well the new servers have been holding up. Close to 1300 people on the site at the end of the Bolton match and not a sign of the Whoa! page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.