Slight tweak to the forum layout

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Anonymous, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fender

Fender New Member

Don't really like the small text box.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Suddenly, everyone's an expert. ;)

Sabre, you're going off tangent and (really), using bad examples, but let me tell you that the Diggbar was never profitable and it caused a rift in the Digg boardroom. Why you use that as an example, I don't know, but it's not relevant to Arsenal Mania or content on a website (Digg links to external sites!).

Guys, this new layout is here to stay. It will take some getting used to, but like when we moved the avatars to the right (and a number of 'experts' voiced their opinions), we will get used to it. Like every redesign, we have a number of opinions. People don't like change, Facebook get criticism all the time every time they change their layout, with a number of 'experts' again voicing their opinions, but it's still the largest social network out there.

Our layout will take some getting used to, but the narrow column is easier to read, and if need be, I will remove the avatars instead of compromising on the ads.

Narrow column or not, I will still enjoy the forum, and like every redesign and decision I've made on this site that's seen it grow from strength to strength, I ask you to trust me in ensuring this stays as the biggest forum for Arsenal fans on the web.

Some of you have noticed that there are still some kinks to be ironed out, and these will be resolved tonight, thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Please continue to enjoy the forum, I know I will.

Cheers.

3. Danni

Danni New Member

Alright, I'm not a fan of it either, but to slate Jon is quite spoilt in my opinion. He had done a lot to sort out the servers, design etc on this forum so he shouldn't be to plan. There are still the same rules, and you can still post.

I don't like the big grey space, but life moves on.

4. ibby

ibby New Member

I'm not a fan of this either. Everything is way too congested in the middle and it makes for very uncomfortable reading. The internet equivalent to claustrophobia if you like.

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Arse Emeritus Administrator

Wellington, if you would, please PM me with the details of your browser etc.

6. cuban

cuban New Member Trusted

Its not easier to read...its other way around...this is not like just few people doesn´t like the change...its almost everybody...we´re not against adverts...just put it up...or down...we will gladly scroll a bit...don´t compromise forum space...

7. Fender

Fender New Member

Ibby thought it was a virus..lol.

8. True Gooner

True Gooner New Member Elite

It's not that much of a big deal if you're using Firefox and Adblock plus.

9. cuban

cuban New Member Trusted

once again...ads are not a problem...reduced forum width is what everyone hates

10. TomasCR

TomasCR New Member Trusted

Can I only ask, the smaller posting area was reduced because of one ad? Because nothing else was added to the site from what I can see.

As for Facebook. It's true they get criticism every time they change their layout but, at the end of the day, it still looked good after they changed it which, without being ungrateful or something, I can't say here now.

11. Klaus Daimler

Klaus Daimler New Member Trusted

With all respect for the impressing work you've done on this site throughout the years, I don't think individual users care much about whether Arsenal-Mania is the biggest Arsenal forum on the web or not. They care about how user friendly the site is, how it looks like and how it feels. Which is natural since a lot of people spend a considerable amount of time on here each day.

I don't enjoy the narrow column, and it's not something I will be able to put up with in the long term. I think a lot of people feel the same way. It's a very nice place, but there are other forums. Many of them don't compromise with the content area this way.

12. Accomplished

Accomplished New Member

Exactly Tomas. Facebook had reasons for their redesigns like making things easier to use and adding new features. This is simply to increase revenue, and I can guarantee you there would have been more of a protest on facebook if they had done something similar. People don't like change on those sites because they have to learn a new way to use it. On here, it's still the same forum, just smaller and harder to read. I don't understand the policy of just throwing this up like this and then ignoring feedback from the users, there have been good suggestions made in this thread...viable suggestions...

13. True Gooner

True Gooner New Member Elite

I suppose so.

It is quite disconcerting.

14. Del Boy

Del Boy New Member

I never click the ads anyway some of them are just ridiculous liposuction, dating sites and wayne rooney's ugly face.

15. fabo

fabo 6.51 / 10

The ads take up too much space. 1/3 of the screen seems like too much.

And they'd probably look better on the left.

16. jerome2158

jerome2158 New Member

the problem is that this isn't a reformat, or change for the user's sake. Facebook changed, but it made the site better and easier to use. It added more than it took away. This isn't anything beneficial for the user, apart from the site maybe using increased revenue in some way to improve later on down the road. Right now, this is essentially just the site selling out.

But once again, I will in time get used to it, as will most of us, though that does not mean we will enjoy it.

17. squimmy

squimmy New Member

I realise I don't post too much on here, but I read the forums a lot and the new layout is just awful, absolutely awful.

I don't mind more ads, that's not the issue because I know the site needs to make money, but why is the content like an awkward squashed quarter of the screen? Compared to the combined size of the ads and the grey-sides it's just painful to read the small column of content.

Can't the site just be widened a bit? No need to remove the ads.

Like this I cannot help but feel it will drive users away.

18. Viking

Viking New Member

As I mentioned earlier, I would recommend doing something about the right hand menu first and foremost. If that cannot be reduced, then by all means remove the avatars.

19. Fender

Fender New Member

Don't remove the avatars.

20. Accomplished

Accomplished New Member

Remove the avatars. Remove all graphics. Hell, why not just run the whole website as text? This new layout is awful, just awful. It gets more annoying the more you use it, not less. It's so unnecessary as well, which makes it even worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.