Slight tweak to the forum layout

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Anonymous, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jameel46

Jameel46 New Member

At first I thought it was some sort of error.....the new layout isn't very aesthetically pleasing. And the advertising is on the right which makes it worse aesthically (for some reason). Sorry, not a fan of this change.

2. song

song New Member

Anyone else suddenly joined arsenal land?

3. Loylz

Loylz Moderator Moderator

You're welcome to do so mate. Noone is holding a gun to your head and telling you you need to stay here.

4. James

James New Member Elite

QFFT

5. Loylz

Loylz Moderator Moderator

BTW still can't see your avatar James.

6. TomasCR

TomasCR New Member Trusted

You can sod off whenever you wish mate if you don't like it here.

Having said that, a lot of things have been done/removed/changed over the last couple of years but I don't think I have ever seen such a big amount of people disagreeing with the change. Scrolling the page down only to find the thread I'm looking for? Ha yeah!

I think the forum is here for people that regularly use it and I just don't believe that making such a drastic change most of us don't agree with is a good idea.

In other words, I'm not going to join some other forum but I also refuse to spend most of my spare time here if it stays this way. There are things you can get used to but this is just a bit too much for me, sorry.

7. frass

frass New Member

This new layout is ****ing ****. instead of centring everything and putting the ads on the right, why not put the ads where the EMPTY grey area is on the left and extend the existing white page (the area we are writing on and the avatars on) over to the right where there's the EMPTY grey area so we have don't have to put strain on our eyes. but the way it is right now it is just majorly ****.
    which ever one of you mods changed the layout must be suffering from tunnel vision cause you can't tell me that's the best layout you could come up with cause it just ****.

8. frass

frass New Member

me too i won't be spending much time here too cause this is just taking the piss

9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Arse Emeritus Administrator

Swearing doesn't really achieve anything.

10. James

James New Member Elite

Taking the piss? :lol:

Yes, that really makes sense, somebody who has dedicated years of personal time and money into a forum for your pleasure...is "taking the piss".

11. SuperStar

SuperStar New Member

Thank goodness for Adblock Plus, but that only solves the ad issue. The change to a narrower forum is really terrible and definitely not aesthetically pleasing. Although many of us will not leave the forum, it certainly does not help in enjoying the forum.

12. Illusion

Illusion New Member Trusted

I'm not against the adverts, but they must be on the left.

I wouldn't object to a slight reduction in avatar size either in order to get a bit more width back to the posts. Although the main problem with the narrower layout is seen in the forums themselves, rather than the threads.

13. nazo

nazo New Member Elite

It really isn't that bad as long as people aren't offended by the ads. What's the recommended resolution for this site anyway? I see lots of grey on the left and right of my screen that looks like a good place to put the ads.

Another site i use rarely has the ads incorporated with the posts. Like every 5 posts it has an ad instead of a post. They only have the ads for non-members, so people who register on the site get them disabled. I don't know much about how that would work (i'm pretty sure they get donations as well) but it's an idea to think about.

Edit: actually one thing that is annoying and could possibly be fixed is the major white space under some topic names. It could be because of some dates taking up more space than others. Here's an image: <a class="postlink" href="http://yfrog.com/8333173927p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://yfrog.com/8333173927p</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The list of topics just seems uneven and distracting somewhat. I also show the grey parts but i guess it's because i'm using too high of a resolution.

14. diaby

diaby New Member

How did you all miss this :lol: :lol:

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re using the grey area, this was my reply to our Mods in our internal forum, which is the same if we put the ads in the grey area outside the forum frame.

Seriously, do you not think we know what we're doing, and have considered all the possibilities?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We won't do that, as it is interfering with the flow of content when you scroll up and down reading it.

I hate it when news sites put an ad in the middle of their articles, and it's something we've never done here on Arsenal Mania. We allow the user to read the content in its entirety, without being interrupted midflow by an ad.

17. Viking

Viking New Member

If you don't tell us, we won't know.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:roll: Read my comment above.

19. TomasCR

TomasCR New Member Trusted

Well you have definitely not found the best one yet if that's the case. :ph34r

20. Danni

Danni New Member

I have to say that I'm getting used to things, even though it's only been like this for one day! I'm sure the rest of you guys will feel the same way rather soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.