• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos: Mentor to Plato and Holding

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Majority of posters who posted in the our top performing 5 player last season mentioned Sokratis (rightly so too). However like last pre-season he seems to written off by by some due to one poor peformance in a friendly.
Top 5 performing player at Arsenal doesn’t mean much when everyone is dross :lol:. After Auba and Leno, it’s like who’s the least dross.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Top 5 performing player at Arsenal doesn’t mean much when everyone is dross :lol:. After Auba and Leno, it’s like who’s the least dross.

Lacazette was voted player of the season, the standards are on the floor. The only thing you can say about Sokratis is that he's not Mustafi bad, tho he ain't exactly far off.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Btw what's kind of more interesting is the teams the 20 most yellow booked player belong to:

Watford (2)
Bournemouth (2)
Wolves (2)
Newcastle (2)
Southampton (1)
United (1)
palace (1)
West Ham (1)
Burnley (3)
Fulham (1)

and Arsenal with four (Sokratis, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Mustafi) in there.

Arsenal has the highest number of players in there and is besides one United player (Shaw) the only Top 6 team in there. So either the refs are biased or Arsenal players have to pull the emergency brake more often than other Top 6 teams. probably both but still a bit of a worrying fact in relation to the overall defending from a tactical perspective. I don't buy 4 Arsenal players (2 DMs, 2 CBs) accumulating 40 yellow cards on purely individual mistakes - even if those 4 are all candidates for brain farts. The system shouldn't bring players into such situations so often. You do have to ask yourself what's happening on the pitch when the 2 DMs and 2 CBs get 10 yellow cards on average per season per player.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Sokratis is our best centre-back but he really does get some daft yellows. The second last night was pointless. In a competitive game I'd have been furious, he lost us (ok draw really then penalty loss) a game which we were winning comfortably.

Arsenal fans are fickle and not that clued up. Everyone's cooing over Saliba because he isn't here yet. A month after he arrives he'll be a user, a plodder a this and a that.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Torreira was poor from January on.
Ah yes, I know Lucas is controversial because of his downturn in form but I'm willing to leave that to injuries and adaptation.

Fact that Baldy was willing to throw his whole transfer kitty to recruit him tells me all I need to know about how he's rated.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Ah yes, I know Lucas is controversial because of his downturn in form but I'm willing to leave that to injuries and adaptation.

Fact that Baldy was willing to throw his whole transfer kitty to recruit him tells me all I need to know about how he's rated.
Nah, wasn’t baldy offering to take him on loan for 2 years?

No bid came in for him. Good player though and should get better next season. Only problem is that he’s not getting much rest with playing tournaments every summer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Look he's ok but he isn't a top defender. I think people like him more because he's up for a fight and doesn't get pushed around but he's a yellow card waiting to happen every game and if he picks that up in the first 20 mins or so things get nervous.

The best defenders have composure and good judgement when to dive in and when not not.

I don't know the stats but I guarantee now Van Dijk and Laporte ( the 2 best defenders in the league imo) had a hell of a lot less cards than him.

Edit:
He had 12 yellows the joint highest. So many less regarded players had a lot less. Laporte only 3. Normal considering he las less defending to do but even defenders from relegation threatened teams have a lot less.

So it shows he's making mistakes. Poor positioning. Rash challenges. Poor judgement.

I said he was OUR best CB and despite yellow cards that still stands. Do we need better? Yes, but that's a different discussion.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Sokratis is our best centre-back but he really does get some daft yellows. The second last night was pointless. In a competitive game I'd have been furious, he lost us (ok draw really then penalty loss) a game which we were winning comfortably.

Arsenal fans are fickle and not that clued up. Everyone's cooing over Saliba because he isn't here yet. A month after he arrives he'll be a user, a plodder a this and a that.

That second would not be a second yellow in the PL though. It probably should not have been one anywhere.

You can obviously always be more clever as a CB

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Nah, wasn’t baldy offering to take him on loan for 2 years?

No bid came in for him. Good player though and should get better next season. Only problem is that he’s not getting much rest with playing tournaments every summer.

Yeah, Torreira ain't the problem.

I also agree that Sokratis isn't the solution to challenge the top sides on the long run, but he ain't the worst option either.

With limited financial means you gotta start working on the most apparent issues and WITHOUT MUSTAFI, I currently don't see it being the CB position.

You could add De ligt or even VVD to that line-up and we'd still conceed lots of goals. They'd still improve us massively, that goes without saying, but nobody would talk about him as the best CB in the world, he would look bad on occasions here as well.

Why? Because our CB pairing will always look **** when our flanks are poorly defended whilst our midfield is being overrun as soon as the pressure is on.

Anyone who's played football himself should know how hard it is for defenders to cope with several players that come up running at you with full pace not being marked at all.

It might work out a few times, but at some point or on a bad day, you end up with a goals gallore

Token Yank

I am genuinely asking this, out of curiosity, how many reds did he get with us, no friendlies?
He accumulated so many yellows he was banned 2-3 games in a key point of our season. Iirc the final yellow which led to the suspension was in the last game the accumulation rule was in effect. Which is just stupid, need to be smarter. Also was sent off early against Rennes and nearly cost us the tie. I like him and might seem overly harsh as sometimes I think he is cautioned too much, but I always get the feeling he is on the verge of being sent off.

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd
He accumulated so many yellows he was banned 2-3 games in a key point of our season. Iirc the final yellow which led to the suspension was in the last game the accumulation rule was in effect. Which is just stupid, need to be smarter. Also was sent off early against Rennes and nearly cost us the tie. I like him and might seem overly harsh as sometimes I think he is cautioned too much, but I always get the feeling he is on the verge of being sent off.
Yeah he gets way too touch tight on the oppositions attackers and makes needless fouls in key areas. Not the greatest reader of the game. Absolute pants on the ball as well. Has a decent burst of pace to be fair to him. Unfortunately he’s a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. You just know he’s got a few mistakes in him.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I like that about him, it'd very much needed in PL and something we lacked for some time

There's being physical and being rash.

He is rash. Instead of a subtle nudge and get the advantage over the striker he basically pushes then.

Harry Kane is an expert at it. Just before the ball is played he something nudges of makes contact with the defender. It can even be just a step back into him meaning by the time the ball has reached him and the referee sees that moment of play it looks like the defender is too tight and Kane topples over and wins a free kick.

We need to be smarter. Lacazette is brilliant at getting his body between the defender and the ball.

Sokratis needs to read the game better. Maybe at 30/31 it's too late.

nick gould

Torreira was poor from January on.
A lot happened, we stopped playing from the back, our backline became too deep, we became too reliant on back 3 rather than 4 at the back meaning. All those things contributed to leaving way too much space in the middle for our midfielders to cover. Come on now, have you seen the length of his legs? That became too much for Lucas. Bring back high line again and he will be a good as gold.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Btw what's kind of more interesting is the teams the 20 most yellow booked player belong to:

Watford (2)
Bournemouth (2)
Wolves (2)
Newcastle (2)
Southampton (1)
United (1)
palace (1)
West Ham (1)
Burnley (3)
Fulham (1)

and Arsenal with four (Sokratis, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Mustafi) in there.

Arsenal has the highest number of players in there and is besides one United player (Shaw) the only Top 6 team in there. So either the refs are biased or Arsenal players have to pull the emergency brake more often than other Top 6 teams. probably both but still a bit of a worrying fact in relation to the overall defending from a tactical perspective. I don't buy 4 Arsenal players (2 DMs, 2 CBs) accumulating 40 yellow cards on purely individual mistakes - even if those 4 are all candidates for brain farts. The system shouldn't bring players into such situations so often. You do have to ask yourself what's happening on the pitch when the 2 DMs and 2 CBs get 10 yellow cards on average per season per player.

Or when they make mistakes they don't trust their team mates to dig them out of a hole.

Plenty of players make mistakes it's a given but instead of diving in and giving away a free kick especially anywhere around the middle of the park it could be better to let the play continue and hope someone else takes responsibility.

Now there's times you need to take the hit but there's others not. The smart players work that out. The Mustafis and co can't control that element of their game.

It's similar to a defender in their own corner under pressure with the ball. For some reason the first thing strikers think is let's put our hands on his back. Instant free kick out. It's such a simple thing but happens 5-6 times a week in the league.

Our players just do stupid things. A man is running past xhaka on the half way line and instead of just trying to keep the pace and slow them down he cones across and puts the arm out. Things like that do my head in.

zilfy

Considering he is our best CB, this guy really gets some stick. Ok, our CB's are our weakest link but he was head and shoulders above the others last season and probably will be this season too. His pace saved us many goals last season, he was half the price of Mustafi & Xhaka but more than twice as effective!

Yes! I don't understand all the Sokratis hate. I though he was brilliant last year, a rock. I know he's a bit of a hothead with his fouls but as a defender hes pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom