<

Sokratis Papastathopoulos: Mentor to Plato and Holding

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Ricardinho, Jul 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThlRama

ThlRama Well-Known Member

I hope Mustafi does better, but your first claim, yeah, I know right? Spot on. I mean I've been acting in here like it hasn't happened, but the defeatism among Arsenal fans is absurd at times. We could've done much better than Mustafi, but let history decide.

LG10 likes this.
  2. Rain Dance

Rain Dance Well-Known Member Trusted

I read it in Russian for a few second before realizing the title is in Greek

3. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Sokratis is injury prone, he has a lot of injury problems throughout his career. What you are seeing is a player far past his prime and near retirement, buying him is similar to Utd buying Bastian Schweinsteiger. So why we went for him, I will never understand.

4. tcahill

tcahill Well-Known Member

He just turned 30 and he's a CB. No worries there.

He's had one major injury since arriving at Dortmund, and that was in 14/15. He's not immune to damage like Xhaka but calling him 'injury prone' is a big exaggeration.

5. TheArsenalis

TheArsenalis Well-Known Member

lol, i thought this was about the young greek kid. my bad. i dont care about the sacratis signing. experience is experience. whether on the bench on or on the field.

6. FEH

FEH Well-Known Member

I think from all of our transfer business, the focus will be on this guy the most. Critical position, unlikely to be an Emery signing and not coming with a great rep.

I think his experience will be useful and ofcourse he will need time to adapt. But he is the kind of player who could go either way.

Eager to see him more to properly evaluate. His performance against BW was pretty poor tbf and it would have, naturally, made people sit a bit less comfortably.

7. Ara

Ara Active Member

He will become a best CB in a few games.

Fewtch likes this.
  8. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

He really won't.

Doesn't anyone watch the Bundesliga around here?

celestis likes this.
  9. Vantastico

Vantastico Well-Known Member

First of all I think it's an adequate signing for 20m looking at the current state of the market. Sure, there were more talented, more expensive options out there, but we chose a different route. I consider him essentially as the replacement of Giroud's physicality and don't expect to see any miracles: he's a 30 year old slow-footed defender, although he can be deceivingly fast on a full sprint which Olivier never was.

It feels like a type of signing we never used to make considering our history of not adressing needs and the current number of central defenders on the team. That by itself is reason for excitement if you ask me. If he can provide just a few positive externality factors to the squad, like be a competitor or even a mentor to Mavropanos, that's good enough value out of him.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    bingobob and moloso like this.
  10. Ara

Ara Active Member

I mean for our team.

11. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

We brought Squillaci, Silvestre............. quite certain they count as "slow-footed defender" too.

12. c00lguy

c00lguy Well-Known Member

Sokratis looks like the homeless guy I see on my street every morning

Tir Na Nog likes this.
  13. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Where do you live mate, Greeks love the outdoors.

krackpot and Mark Tobias like this.
  14. yybecause

yybecause Formerly known as ArsenaLover

15. TheArsenalis

TheArsenalis Well-Known Member

Him and mustafi has about a season before holding and chambers bench them, im calling it now. They maybe more experienced but the young guys will only get better.

16. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Very encouraging performance today won many duels timing was spot on with his tackling.

Mitch, Camron and Windowlicker like this.
  17. Toby Andrl

Toby Andrl Part Time Stuttgart Fan Trusted

Think once he'll get accustomed to the new team, setup and Emery's tactics he will get his dodgy last season out of his system and be very, very solid for Arsenal.

Aevi likes this.
  18. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

This guy played very well.

19. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Played well defensively but he's not great on the ball at all.

20. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

Better than Mustafi but did not like him turning away from the ball on the 2nd goal at all. I hate that. Otherwise solid though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.