• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sokratis Papastathopoulos: Mentor to Plato and Holding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I was gonna be original and say I'm calling him 'Papa', but I see Auba calls him that already, so 'Dad' it is then.

Dad.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Not an in-your-face signing, but a quietly good one. Very pleased with this, he likely improves us for a rather small fee.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Welcome to Arsenal Papa Sok.

Not a big name signing, but he could be a great defender for Unai's system.

Just re-watched one of my favorite all time movies- the 300 and am glad to have my own Spartan! I hope he shows the same tenacity and seriousness as those chaps. Welcome Sokratis

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm a bit underwhelmed and was more of a fan before he went to Dortmund but I hope he helps us do well and is good. Welcome Sokratis.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Obviously there are better CB out there but with so many positions to improve its not easy to bring in a top tier player without sacrificing another positional upgrade. If we can finish our business well this year we can hopefully start focusing on a couple of positions at a time instead of 5.

Taxi Driver

That picture of Sokratis and the warrior mask shadow in the video, no idea what you call it, whoever at the club that done that; well done, looks amazing!

Edit: just watched the announcement video, very good work, apart from the ****ty music, should have been some hard 300 song with a load of shouting.

That's a Corinthian hoplite helmet if you're curious:

b704aeeb20891b7270668938ae8a42eb.jpg

Time for a "Thermopylae" Mavropanos and Sokratis defence, I just hope it'll end differently :)

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Obviously there are better CB out there but with so many positions to improve its not easy to bring in a top tier player without sacrificing another positional upgrade. If we can finish our business well this year we can hopefully start focusing on a couple of positions at a time instead of 5.

Agree with this, hopefully he will help us get back into the CL, then we can continue the upgrading process.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
I think he'll be a good defender for us, wouldn't surprise me if people jizz about him in 6 months, hopefully he'll be able to contribute to mavropanos development aswell, both being spartans and all

tcahill

Should be an excellent signing. He was a top CB for 3 seasons at Dortmund. He may have just come off a poor season but a change of scenery should help him regain form. His physical style suits the EPL to the ground too.

nick gould

Great signing.

Replace Mustafi with an upgrade and we're sorted at the back.
Mustafi not as bad as most people think. Erase last season from your memories because it distorts everything. Kos made some high profile errors last season. Even nacho did. Their heads were all over the place.

Boateng had a stinker this world cup. Mustafi could end up a Real Madrid or Barcelona. Good passer, dominant in the air for one not so tall, good tackler and above all he has a very strong mentality.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
Mustafi not as bad as most people think. Erase last season from your memories because it distorts everything. Kos made some high profile errors last season. Even nacho did. Their heads were all over the place.

Boateng had a stinker this world cup. Mustafi could end up a Real Madrid or Barcelona. Good passer, dominant in the air for one not so tall, good tackler and above all he has a very strong mentalit

Considering we were actively trying to get rid of him and the only interested club was West Brom, maybe if they finally get caught and relegated like Juve.
In all seriousness I do take your point the difference is Kos' errors are almost exclusively ridiculous lapses in concentration while Mustafi's are mostly basic technical flaws.
His body position appears to be wrong on virtually every goal we concede, whether it's being too square on and not seeing players just wandering past him ,too upright to change direction when people run at him with the ball or something else.

I remember Vidic anaylsing his performance after Newcastle away, he was in a state of disbelief as he explained how a defender should crouch into a jockeying position so he can alter direction quickly.
Vidic probably learnt that when he was five.

Regarding Sokratis, add me to the hugely underwhelmed list, I haven't seen that much of him but what I did see reminded me of a slightly bigger, Greeker Mustafi.
Personally I was hoping for Benatia, however those on here who watch the Bundesliga regularly seem to rate him (Sokratis) and they would know better than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom