• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sol Campbell (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Army of Me

Established Member
Robno.7 said:
what i find funny is Arsenal representatives have to go to Madrid to negotiate a deal, when its them who want OUR player

they're probably just making sure that 25mil they had last season is still available!

KingReyes

Established Member
Moggi has confirmed that he and Wenger did meet to talk but it wasn't about Vieira. Maybe it was about Ashley Cole after all.

famous no 10

Established Member
KingReyes said:
Moggi has confirmed that he and Wenger did meet to talk but it wasn't about Vieira. Maybe it was about Ashley Cole after all.

Thats what I've been thinking all along...been a bit quiet on the Cole front lately.

Ratinho

Established Member
KingReyes said:

I said this last week, in either the Cole thread or here.

Makes a lot more sense, and there's been no actual quotes to back up any interest in Vieira, transfer-wise. We know, i believe, that they made a solid offer for Cole.

Plus, I don't hear much on a new contract for Cole, so i'm still struggling to work out why he isn't being sold.

yonatan

I doubt Cole would wanna move to Juve where he wouldn't be in the starting line up. Zambrotta is a guaranteed starter at Juve.

DB10

there does seem to be something to this vieira leaving story this year.

But if he does go, who will replace him?? i don't think Hleb, he's the replacement for edu. There must be a big money transfer, if we are willing to offload our captain after trying for so long to persuade him to say. I mean he's still definately up there with the best, and not yet at the point were he's getting old like what bergy is.

with the 15m together with the 30m or so remaining, there must be a huge transfer, on the way. The only person that i can think of in that class, and in that position on the market, is Ballack.

Still its good that this year that the club is holding all the cards and not the players. We are not held to ransom, by someone who wants to leave, but rather we are getting rid of those we don't want. Its yet to be seen if Paddy, is one of those we want here, but at least its the club and not the player doing the talking.

asajoseph

Established Member
Ballack is a class player, no doubt, but he's 28 (29 in September). He'd cost big money still too, and I just don't see Wenger spending big bucks on a player that old. If he was available for a reasonable price, he'd be a great option, but I expect Wenger tolook elsewhere should Vieira go.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Nobody in our current team can replace Vieira. Guys just wake up and accept that. This is just a bad move from us. If we sell Vieira we have to get someone who at the very least has the potential to get to vieira's level. You can count them with one hand and believe me we can't afford them.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

DB10 said:
there does seem to be something to this vieira leaving story this year.

But if he does go, who will replace him?? i don't think Hleb, he's the replacement for edu. There must be a big money transfer, if we are willing to offload our captain after trying for so long to persuade him to say. I mean he's still definately up there with the best, and not yet at the point were he's getting old like what bergy is.

with the 15m together with the 30m or so remaining, there must be a huge transfer, on the way. The only person that i can think of in that class, and in that position on the market, is Ballack.

Still its good that this year that the club is holding all the cards and not the players. We are not held to ransom, by someone who wants to leave, but rather we are getting rid of those we don't want. Its yet to be seen if Paddy, is one of those we want here, but at least its the club and not the player doing the talking.

But Ballack is the same age as Vieira...

He's also looking for his biggest ever contract (Vieira is halfway through his) and I can't see us stumping the neccessary cash.

Frankly, this a Peter Hill-Wood driven story.

The man with nowt to do but smoke cigars and wield his giant rubber stamp. Oh,and he's quoted by that paragon of virtue The Sun.

Wouldn't read too much into it.

Ratinho

Established Member
Firstly, what '£30m remaining'? :roll:

Secondly, for Vieira, now is his last real chance if he wants to have a career at another club, and if he does go, i've no issue with that.

However, although Wenger likes a cloak and dagger approach to transfers (don't think he especially appreciated Seville or Baptista's actions in the last shambles), I haven't heard a genuine link to any other player of Vieira's style that could come in, so I add no credibility to this story for now.

dynasty

I think the fact that I cant think of a suitable replacement for him makes me doubt this very much. When a year were we need to reclaim the title we get rid of our captain?
I just cant see a replacement and I cant see a suitable captain full-time as well...

and whats with this appiah and zebina business.. I refuse to believe wenger will take back pieces to sell his capain...

dboo

I believe the best thing that could happen to Arsenal now is to sell Vieira. AW is a very clever man. He knows that from now on, it is downhill for Vieira which is why AW is not even bothering to state that Vieira will not leave. Normally AW would have come out now and denied that Vieira is leaving. At the end of each season, AW reviews the team to see how each player has done. I bet those Prozone stats have showed him that Vieira is declining and can no longer be the engine of the team. Now is a good time to sell him. Bit by bit, AW is changing our team by replacing older or ineffective players. We do not want a situation like Keane where the manager continues to support and pick a player not wanting to let him go when it has become clear to all that the player is no longer the force he used to be. For me, I would sell Vieira now. I don't think he wants to go as he has only just got married but I think it is time to part. There are so many players out there who can do a good job and who are younger and not prone to injuries. Remember that Vieira has never fully recovered from his ankle injury and I bet AW knows he would never which is why he is willing to sell. Leave to AW, he knows and I bet he will replace Vieira. In a couple of months time, it would be Vieira who?

Ratinho

Established Member
Don't agree with that tbh.

However, if he should leave, we have to be realistic as a club, realise how important he was, and considering he would bring in around £15m even now, replace him with someone genuinely capable.

King_Henry_14

guti has said that if he can move he would prefer to come to us (latest from a liverpool rep who is on the figo case after spu*s have reportedly placed a £5m bid)

why have we confirmed that juve are interested if were not going to sell ... to publish that were going to be bullish ?

asajoseph

Established Member
No to Guti, just NO.

I've written far too much about that ponce in the thread about him, so suffice to say, if he's going anywhere I'm happier if it's Sp**s than here.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
dboo said:
AW is not even bothering to state that Vieira will not leave. Normally AW would have come out now and denied that Vieira is leaving..

Actually, Wenger said in the last month that neither Robert, Patrick or Thierry were going anywhere.

dboo said:
In a couple of months time, it would be Vieira who?

It'll never be Vieira who. And everyone that's bollocking on about how we won't miss him if he does go will be changing their tune rather rapidly come the start of the season.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

I consider this story to be total bullshit.

I acept Juve would sign him if they could and I'm sure they have made some formal proposals.

However:-

(1) Why sell him now when we didn't sell him for 30 mill last season?

(2) Why would Vieira want to go to Italy having only just turned down a move to Spain?

(3) Juve are not madrid and can't come up with enough money to make it worth our while selling him.

(4) Arsène would only sell Vieira at a time that suits him & knowing he had an adequate replacement lined up. It dosen't and he hasn't. Moreover there are no world class players available, except Ballack, who will cost a bloody fortune, far more than 15 million, to aquire/pay.

(5) The notion that Arsène would replace Vieira with some unpolished diamond, similar to Vieira when he came from Milan (and numerous names have been linked) is completely ridiculous. We all know how Wenger looks to nurture talent, be the player Henry, Fabregas or whoever. But this is the Arsenal of 2005, not 1997. The whole ethos of Arsenal these days is to look forwards not back. Yes, we will bring talented players through. But unless we're talking sillly money no grade "A" team, Arsenal included, will sell one of it's star players without backup.

Cole I could understand. Vieira, no way.

J the Red

I swear last season we accepted a £22m move from Real Madrid only for the deal to fall through as PV wasnt going to get parrity with other 'galactico's', so considering he is a year older I can't see us getting more than £15-18m for him...

If we do sell Paddy V, then I'm certain we will launch a bid for Lyon's Mahmadou Diarra as a replacement. He is a player we've been linked to for a while and Wenger is a confimed fan of the lad's talents so he is the obvious choice in replacement.

I personally think Vieira probably will end up staying, but if he were to go I'd hold no bitterness towards him at all. He has given Arsenal nearly 10 years of service and after last season where he looked a bit stale I can fully understand him wanting a change of scenery and to try his hand with another club, and to be fair if he did depart his last action for us would have been scoring the winning penalty against Manure in the cup final and thats not a bad way to go is it?.

I also think that this is probably Vieira's last real chance to get a big move away from Arsenal before his career ends, and he will know that. He is 29 and is of the age where he either goes now or stays with us for the rest of his career.
Arsenal wont stand in his way like they did before and will I think adopt the same approach as we did last summer where they left it firmly up to him and the buying club to decide what they wanna do.

I do think he will stay but whatever happens I trust Arsène completely to do the right thing by the club.
Things will move on and Arsenal wont just stand still and stop because he leaves, we will grow and continue progressing, and knowing us probably go and win the CL, the trophy Vieira so much craves... :wink:

fatalfury

Next year, PV will be 30 and worth a lot less than he will be worth now. 30 is like the "over the hill" age for footballers. I guarentee we will miss him but there are some rough diamonds out there that can be polished to become Viera in a few years time.

Than again, since its Jube, why not throw in some money and get Emerson from them..... yeah, like that's gonna happen :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom