• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sol Campbell (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigun

Wenger MUST have a replacment in sight, as i find it strange that arsenal only want money from this possible transfer.

After last season I wouldent be too borthed if he left and a more younger committed player come in. I mean Our CAPTAIN cant be subject to transfer speculation every summer, because its obviously his not %100 committed to the club.

A

Anonymous

RocktheCasbah said:
coolcool2 said:
RocktheCasbah said:
coolcool2 said:
RocktheCasbah said:
coolcool2 said:
Don't want Vieira. Simple as. No matter how good a player is, he isn't bigger than the club, and after what he did last season, I don't want that **** anywhere near our club.

Oh, shut up.

wow, that's a highly mature reply!

To a highly mature post, you aren't worth the energy mate.

atleast justify your opinion with a reason. He wasn't loyal to Arsenal last season and only stayed due to the contract negotiations with Madrid not working out. I don't want such a player at our club. Simple as. Yet we have him as the club captain. Cole, Vieira, mercenaries!

How many jobs have you been in for ten years?

If you haven't, how can you question Vieira's loyalty?

So being a footballer is just like an ordinary job like other jobs now..

fuma75

i really don't understand why we can sell viera & pires....

we lost the title cause we lacked depth in the squad and experienced players.

we can't make same mistake again..

footballus_maximus

i think if we had a poll now, most fans would want vieira to be sold, he's not as dominant in midfield as he used to be. he hasn't showed us any committment last season, running around the pitch thinking he owns the club. :?

patrick42uk

Established Member
jon zebina would be good i reckon if juve wants to give us players. i'm concerned about the lack of cover in defence. i still think senderos is a risk. i wasnt convinced last season. i think zebina can play as a cb too. if wenger feels its time for vieira to go, i'd rather zebina than appiah.

asajoseph

Established Member
You know, I get UNBELIEVABLY sick of people whinging about how it's Vieira, Pires' fault that we're 'perennial failures' in the Champions League, and 'fail' in the League because we don't win back to back titles.

You people obviously believe the Mancs when they try to convince you that we're no good. And believe me, no matter what we win, who we beat, how many trophies in the cabinet, people will ALWAYS find reasons to tell us we've failed.

But the fact of the matter is that we've been a F'ing successful club over the last decade. We win trophy after trophy after trophy, and we've been the most exciting team in the league for over 5 years. So the point is, Vieira and Pires aren't reasons the club is failing, or underachieving, they're the reasons we're even where we are in the first place. A lot of people seem to have forgotten, but we're not Manchester Utd, we're not Liverpool and we're not Chelsea. We are simply not on the same scale of these clubs in terms of size. We're getting there, and thanks to some fantastic investments and general sense from the board, as well as the unbelievable job Wenger has done, but we're still not comparable. Everything we've achieved over the last decade, and everything we will achieve in the next is thanks to some great foresight from the board, the stewardship of Arsène Wenger, and the sheer bloody brilliance of the players he's brought in, none more so than Messrs Vieira and Pires. We don't have the reputation that Liverpool and Manchester Utd carry worldwide, and we don't have the finances of Chelsea, but through nothing more than talent alone we compete, and often knock the **** out of those three clubs.

Arsenal are growing, there's no doubt about it. But are we a 'global club' in the same way that Manchester Utd, Juventus, Real and AC Milan are? Nowhere near it. The fact that Vieira has stayed with a middle sized club climbing (and be damn sure we're climbing) up into the league of truly elite footballing names, resisting the allure of the most prestigious clubs in the world is a testimony to his loyalty to the club, not his disloyalty. He's played a massive part in making this club what it is today, dragging us into the new Wenger era, and giving us the chance to be one of the biggest footballing clubs in the world. He's turned down Real Madrid, the most glamorous club in the world, summer after summer, but if he finally wants to make that move, and Arsenal feel that the club can move on without him, we should thank him profusely for what he's done and wish him all the best for the last few years of his career, rather than treat him like a traitor.

So is the time right to sell Vieira? Well, I still want him at Arsenal, but if the management feel we can replace him, and move on without him, then perhaps. Perhaps Tony Adams was right when he said Vieira's career was destined to be cut short by injury, perhaps Wenger has reasons to believe that last season was perhaps going to be Vieira's true level for the last few years of his career. It's been generally ignored that most reports of Vieira leaving seem to indicate that it was instigated by the club, the man himself had nothing to do with it. But whatever decision the club make, Vieira is one of the big reasons that this club has perennially succeeded, and one of the reasons that we've had an opportunity to take the next step up up to a higher level. If Vieira hadn't been so great for us when he first broke into the team, we wouldn't be a club of this size now. Which probably means no Ashburton. Which would have probably meant temporary success, instead of what we can now look forward to.

Anyway, the point is, Vieira won't be easy to replace, whether or not selling him is the right move. Could Diarra do it? Well, if he's available for 3.5 million, as some believe his buyout clause to be, it seems likely that he'll be the 'new Vieira'. Indeed, selling Vieira for 15 mil and signing Diarra for 3 could be fantastically good business, provided the extra 12 mil is invested in the team too.

So, whether you stay or go Patrick, remember that at least those of us fans who remember what Arsenal was like before you got here appreciate what you have done, and will miss you greatly. Thanks.

Ratinho

Established Member
footballus_maximus said:
i think if we had a poll now, most fans would want vieira to be sold, he's not as dominant in midfield as he used to be. he hasn't showed us any committment last season, running around the pitch thinking he owns the club. :?

Are you pulling a wage to sit in here and talk s**t?

Soler

Established Member
Of course it won't be because like every year, Vieira's going nowhere. Some people are just insane.

KingReyes

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
jon zebina would be good i reckon if juve wants to give us players. i'm concerned about the lack of cover in defence. i still think senderos is a risk. i wasnt convinced last season. i think zebina can play as a cb too. if wenger feels its time for vieira to go, i'd rather zebina than appiah.

I agree with that, if we are going to take someone from juve I would want it to be Zebina,

i have just seen an interview with Arsène on Arsenal plus and he says that he is still looking to bring 1 or 2 players. he doesn't say if they are big names just players that can add quality to the side.

He also says that he wants to keep EVERYBODY. Of course sometimes thats impossible if someone like Pires refuses to sign a new deal or we get a good deal for Vieira.

i still feel Wenger wants Vieira to stay, however if i am wrong and he does leave i believe it will have come down to two possibilities. Either he wants to leave or Wenger wants to change things arund by letting go of Vieira and/or Pires.

At the end of the day I trust Arsène 100%

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
coolcool2 said:
atleast justify your opinion with a reason. He wasn't loyal to Arsenal last season and only stayed due to the contract negotiations with Madrid not working out. I don't want such a player at our club. Simple as. Yet we have him as the club captain. Cole, Vieira, mercenaries!

How many jobs have you been in for ten years?

If you haven't, how can you question Vieira's loyalty?

coolcool2 said:
So being a footballer is just like an ordinary job like other jobs now..

Well, I admit the working conditions of the average footballer are a little different to that of the average british male. But Patrick has still been here 9 years, to put that into perspective one of the world's best midfielders has stayed at a club that has won 2 European competitions in its' history, the last being 11 years ago, and never even threatened to get to a CL final, let alone win the thing. And yet this brilliant footballer is condemned. For what? For checking his options? Does he not have a right to? Why, just because he's a footballer?

Listen, Vieira has been here longer than David Rocastle was, longer than Ian Wright, longer (I think) than Charlie George and longer than anyone else in the first team squad, Dennis excepted.

And you question his loyalty? Give me a break.

If Paddy does go, which I still don't think he will, I will wish him well and thank him for 9 years of largely outstanding service, in fact I'll miss him.

fatalfury

£10.5m???? That can't be right!!!!! Come one he's worth more than that. Anyone have any ratings or articles on Diarra? I mean everyone's been talking about him but I can't find any constructive comments on him. What's his strong points and pace etc?

Ah well... I still think David Pizzaro would be good as a replacement but Inter seem to have wrapped him up for 7.5 mil. I mean we could afford 7 mil I think :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom