• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sol Campbell (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raphael_as

Wenger will not let Sol go yet - We basically have 3 centre backs who we can play day-in-day out (Sol, Toure and Senderos) an emergency-only replacement (Cygan) and a bunch of unproved youngsters.

We need to upgrade the emergency replacement anyway - it would be fantastic if we actually had 4 centre-backs who we would feel comfortable playing (an added bonus being that that would allow Toure to cover Lauren if necessary), but there is no way in hell that Wenger would go into a season with only 2 centre-backs - he did it last season and it cost us big before Senderos stepped up.

Having said that, I can see us letting Sol go at the end of next season - he'll be 31/32, still have 3yrs on his contract (so we'll get good money for him) and it would fit with his stated aims as well. It does depend on us getting a decent 3rd centre-back though, even if it is another old last-contract type of player (although Wenger seems to prefer letting young players come up then to buy old players).

asajoseph

Established Member
OleJose said:
Is it my imagination or do the newspapers just print the same rumours every summer ?

It is your imagination. Because as yet, it doesn't appear that this rumour has cropped up this summer. Not in any news sources, anyway.

KD

niether campbell nor vieir will be leaving this summer. im sure they are both in wenger's plans and vieira has already stated his intention to stay with us.

timmyg

There's been a lot of talk over here about Vieira to Juve. For a couple of weeks now the rags have been covering it, and yesterday one of them said that Juventus reps were in London discussing a deal with Paddy. However, there has been NOTHING in the Gazzetta dello Sport and very, very little actual substance to the articles that I've read.

I personally don't think they're going anywhere, but if the Vieira story keeps going then I'll begin to think that there's something in it...

Jinn

Established Member
If Vieira was going to leave, it was always going to be last season.

If Sol was going to leave, it was always going to be before he joined us.

I don't see any substance to these rumours (Italian sources or otherwise). Therefore I think this is complete fiction, created from the imaginations of bored Italian hacks.

A

Anonymous

exactly, to be honest i see no substance in this thread anyway- it should be looked in my bloody honest opinion :evil:

Jkreffer

Established Member
I do try to be objective about all rumours, but in this case all you can say is, "what a pile of ****!"

Unbeaten

As said above. If Vieira wants to leave he'd left last season, so I really can't see him heading off to Juventus.

Soler

Established Member
If Campbell was going to leave he would not have signed that new deal. We all know he has no problems in leaving on a Bosman like that.

ioricobain

if campbell leave we have senderos... don't worry about that.... and our captain vieira will stay at highbury next season

timmyg

Just an update on the Vieira situation from this end:

The Gazzetta dello Sport today has a big article on a potential Vieira and Pires to Juve story. There isn't actually very much in it at all, but the sub-headline says 'Two Frenchmen for the price of one to bolster (?) the midfield. Arsenal want 25 million Euros', the story being that Vieira is unlikely to leave Highbury, with Arsenal putting a price tag of between 20-25 million on him, but that a package deal is far moer likely... Like I said, there isn't actually very much in the article other than speculation and the Juve camp saying they 'really want' Vieira.

More interesting is the next article down: Arsenal sign Vito Mannone (now THAT is an Italian name), Atalanta's 17 year-old goalkeeper. It doesn't give a fee, but says that it's been done over the last 24 hours and that he's flying into London on Monday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom