• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sol Campbell to train with Arsenal

Nela

Established Member
I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in Football Talk.

Campbell met Wenger on the sidelines of an African education campaign launch at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium and informally spoke about using his former club's training facilities to overcome some minor fitness concerns.

Campbell was with Arsenal for five seasons after moving from their north London rivals Tottenham Hotspur in 2001.

"It will be great to train here and get fit," Campbell said at the "One Goal" launch. "I've spoken to Arsène, hopefully we can get everything right and speak to the right people and get a couple of the physios and fitness guys to help me. My overall fitness is OK. But something else might happen before then."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...coming-takes-campbell-to-arsenal-1798570.html

Invincible

Established Member
Wouldn't mind giving him a one year contract. Still a great player imo and far better than the likes of Tweety. Bartley, Ayling and the young lads will learn a lot from him too.

otfgoon

Established Member
Sol was far from a great player when he left us never mind now. Silvest is probably better than him right now. I would rather our young players learn from Gallas and Verm.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
otfgoon said:
Sol was far from a great player when he left us never mind now. Silvest is probably better than him right now. I would rather our young players learn from Gallas and Verm.
Sol played well for Pompey for the 2 previous seasons (when he was fit).. fully disagree that Silvestre is better than him now..

but training with us doesnt mean he's playing for us.. Becks trained with us, but didnt play..

otfgoon

Established Member
He was raped tons of times by strikers playing for Pompy, just no one cared because it was Pompy and not a top 4 club.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Fine if he wants to use our facilities while he sorts out whatever he needs to sort out, but no way will or should this guy be offered any kind of chance to play for us. His Notts-dalliance was a farce and his game is long gone.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
otfgoon said:
He was raped tons of times by strikers playing for Pompy, just no one cared because it was Pompy and not a top 4 club.
yeah, well so did our defenders last year.. doesnt matter, he's not signing a contract with us, just trying to get his fitness back so he can sign for someone in January..

otfgoon

Established Member
USArsenal said:
yeah, well so did our defenders last year.. doesnt matter, he's not signing a contract with us, just trying to get his fitness back so he can sign for someone in January..

What on earth does that have to do with Sol? He was far from good enough when he left, he's gotten a lot worse since, that's the only point I'm making, so the perfromance of our defenders has little relevance.

And I know, I'm only responding to invincible's suggestion that we sign him for a year.

MAK 14

Established Member
I'm not sure how i feel about this. As people have said he has got some bad habits, and he wasn't that good at Pompey. I suppose it's fine unless he starts giving some of the youngsters or even Vermaelen and Gallas some 'tips'.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
otfgoon said:
USArsenal said:

What on earth does that have to do with Sol? He was far from good enough when he left, he's gotten a lot worse since, that's the only point I'm making, so the perfromance of our defenders has little relevance.

And I know, I'm only responding to invincible's suggestion that we sign him for a year.
i agree with you that we should go nowhere near signing him the season, even though he's no worse than Silvestre (IMO)..

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
MAK 14 said:
I'm not sure how i feel about this. As people have said he has got some bad habits, and he wasn't that good at Pompey. I suppose it's fine unless he starts giving some of the youngsters or even Vermaelen and Gallas some 'tips'.
what tips is he gonna give Gallas? Gallas has won more and been around almost as long as Sol has.. lol

MAK 14

Established Member
USArsenal said:
MAK 14 said:
what tips is he gonna give Gallas? Gallas has won more and been around almost as long as Sol has.. lol
What wouldn't he give him tips? It has got nothing to do with experience. Hypothetically, say Gallas makes a mistake in training and then Sol gives him a 'tip' on how to not make a mistake like that.

That's why i don't want Sol giving Gallas a tip, because Gallas is actually a much better player than Sol is at the moment.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Eh pretty sure Gallas hasn't won more than Sol. Also Sol's performance at times here was better than anything Gallas has produced for us.

No problem though, he's using the facilities to get fit and really I'd be surprised to see him play PL football again full stop.

Rocafella

Established Member
If i'm right, Gallas has two league titles and a carling cup to his name, with Chelsea. Sol has two league titles and an FA cup to his name. So there really isn't anything between them.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
fabo said:
Eh pretty sure Gallas hasn't won more than Sol. Also Sol's performance at times here was better than anything Gallas has produced for us.

No problem though, he's using the facilities to get fit and really I'd be surprised to see him play PL football again full stop.
ok, fabo wins this round..

Sol has won the Prem twice, the FA Cup 4 times (once with Pompey) and a CC (League Cup) with Spuds in '99..

but Gallas has won a Confed Cup (France) and Ligue 2 (Caen '96, i know not a big deal)

they're about even if not one more for Sol, but one with the Spuds, so we can't count that.. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Top Bottom