• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2011/12

AFC-Phil

Established Member
It's that time of the year again, the season is over.

Yet again we have fallen away towards the end of the season as the pressure grew to get results, so there are obviously some problems that need addressing.

Away from your opinions of our manager, what do you think of our squad?

Who is/isn't good enough? Who isn't reliable enough? Who is on their last chance saloon?

Analyse our squad in a 4231/433 formation. (Don't mention the same player in more than one position, otherwise we'll get a false impression due to false depth)

I'll start it off:

Goalkeeper

Almunia
Szczesny
Mannone
Fabianski

Analysis - Almunia has shown time and again that he is not good enough, and that he needs to be moved on. Szczesny and Fabianski have both proved their worth this season and rightfully will be our No.1 and No.2 next season. Mannone had a decent loan spell and has shown enough to at least be a member of the squad.

Goalkeeper's Verdict - Get rid of Almunia, and keep the other 3.

Right Back

Jenkinson
Sagna
Eboue

Analysis - Nothing wrong here, we have 3 solid options at RB that give us a good variety.

Centre Back

Bartley
Vermaelen
Squillaci
Koscielny
Miquel
Djourou

Analysis - Squillaci needs to be moved on, he can't play with Koscielny without our defence falling apart, and individually he's decent at best. Djourou, Vermaelen and Koscielny have proven themselves to at least be worth a place in our squad with their form this season or last season. A replacement will be required for Squillaci, to get us back up to 4 senior CBs. Bartley/Miquel will make a good emergency CB whilst the other could get a chance on loan. (Or even both, with the option to recall one in the event of an injury crisis)

Left Back

Gibbs
Traore
Clichy
Pedro

Analysis - It's time for Clichy to go, as he simply can't contribute enough going forward, and for a team with 60+% possession it's criminal. A replacement must be signed, as our other options aren't good/reliable enough. Gibbs has shown enough potential to remain as our back-up LB, and with a spell without injuries, I can see him having a big part to play next season. Seeing as Pedro is going out on loan, Traore should be kept around as depth when an injury strikes one of our LBs. (Gibbs)

Defence's Verdict - Sell Squillaci and Clichy. Sign a new LB and CB.

Defensive Midfielder

Frimpong
Song
Coquelin

Analysis - One more is definitely needed here. Ideally Song would be a back-up option to a new signing. Frimpong looks likely to go out on loan, and Coquelin may be loaned out too.

Central Midfielder

Denilson
Fabregas
Rosicky
Ramsey
Lansbury
Diaby
Wilshere

Analysis - I think I speak for almost all of us when I want Denilson and Diaby to leave. Fabregas and Wilshere have both proven themselves to be first choice in midfield next season. Ramsey and Lansbury would make good back-ups when Cesc/Jack get injuries/suspensions/rested, i'm still undecided about Rosicky because we may need him if Lansbury struggles.

Midfield's Verdict - Move Denilson and Diaby out. I'm undecided with Rosicky. Get a new DM.

Wing Forward

Arshavin
Walcott
Vela
Nasri

Analysis - Arshavin has shown himself to be a liability both defensively (With his lack of work-rate) and offensively. (with constant careless passes that breaks down our attacks) So i'd ship him out and replace him with a new LWF. Let the new signing, Walcott and Nasri play for the right to be on the pitch, and keep Vela in reserve in the event of injuries.

Centre Forward

Bendtner
Van Persie
Chamakh

Analysis - It seems that Bendtner is leaving, so we'll need a dependable option (Injury-wise) brought in to compete with Chamakh. Van Persie is clearly first choice, so nothing more needs to be said.

Forward's Verdict - Ship Bendtner out and bring a replacement in.

Overall, in an ideal world i'd want a CB, LB, DM, LWF and CF brought in, but in a realistic world, i'd be happy with 3 in. (LB, DM and LWF)

The likes of Almunia, Squillaci, Denilson and Diaby must be shown the door, in my opinion. Ideally, Clichy, Bendtner, Arshavin and possibly Rosicky would too, but that's unlikely to happen, so i'd settle for the first 4.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Re: Squad Analysis 2011/2012

I'd definitely keep Arshavin. And, call me crazy, but Rosicky too. I think he'll be better with this past season under his belt and a good, experienced option to keep around.

I'm somewhat undecided about the Clichy situation, but lean towards keeping him.

Would like another more robust midfielder, ala Song, but still think we can play the likes of Jack, Cesc, and Ramsey together with success.

AFC-Phil

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
I'd definitely keep Arshavin.

Any particular reason you want him to stay?

Personally, I see this as a good opportunity to get a decent amount for him before he's too old, as well as a chance to open up space on our wage bill for other players.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator

Well, Arsh's entering the last year of his contract if I'm not mistaken, so it would also be the last opportunity to get ANY money for him, this summer.
That's just from a business' point of view though, I'm with Anthony here, I'd keep him as an option and let him go at the end of next season, if he decides to leave (or we not to extend his contract).

Not sure about Rosicky, I too think he still offers something but with an eye on his horrid performances in the FA Cup last season where he often started and some of his League games, I'd not be sad to see the back of him tbh.

Clichy will leave I assume, so what's the most important now is bringing in a decent replacement and not rely on Gibbs, yet.

Almunia, Bendtner and Denilson are leaving us I'm sure of that, and I couldn't care about their destination nor the fee we'd receive, as long as we get rid off them. They don't want to be here, made that public (bar Almunia) and therefore shouldn't be around in 2011/12.

Nasri is another case that needs to be addressed finally, because that story's around for too long now. Being honest here, I don't want to lose him but neither the club to extend his contract at all costs (clearly stated my opinion in the Nasri contract thread).

Gervinho is a decent option for us for the wings (if he signs finally), and hopefully we get a LB and a Striker for the departed players in those positions. Denilson's place will be taken by a youngster I assume, and there's still the possibility of Arsène trying to get a new CB in.

Apart from those squad positions, we're pretty much set. One or another squad player (Rosicky, Eboue, Vela e.g.) might consider his future here and could leave as well, but those won't be replaced with new signings I assume, rather with internal solutions.

bazza_afc

Out: Almunia, Eboue, Squillaci, Clichy, Denilson, Rosicky, Bendtner.

I would love to add Diaby to the list but I'm trying to be realistic and I know he won't be going anywhere.

In: (Not going to pretend I watch the Dutch, French, German, Finnish, Romanian leagues regularly, just going to state type of players we need).

A replacement for Clichy: Competent defender, who can contribute to our attack.

Commanding centre back: Vidic/Campbell style defender.

Competition for Song: Powerful, athletic, no frills defensive midfielder.

Wide player: Pace, skill, direct, runner off the ball.

Centre forward: To play alongside RVP and in place when inevitable injury comes along. Top class, again pace and directness preferable.

One player I will name: Ox-Chamberlain, I think he will be a superb player.

Accomplished

Established Member

Keep everyone apart from Almunia, Bentdner, and Denilson, then build on the squad we have with Gervinho, Samba, and hopefully another world-class player.

That's my realistic hope. Doubt we'll get that world-class player, but seriously, signing just Gervinho and Samba would be a very mediocre and frustrating summer IMO.

mo50

Established Member

Wenger has stated before that he doesn't like wholesale changes, so I don't think we'll see too many departures. Denilson and Bendtner will be off. Hopefully Almunia will too, but I have a sneaky suspicion he'll remain here.

At the back, It looks like a new LB will come in, and hopefully its someone who will offer us width and another dimension when teams sit back with two banks of four. Selling Clichy will be a big plus, IMO. There are strong indications we're after a CB, which is also a positive. It means one of Djourou/Koscielny will probably become frustrated and leave, but if it strengthens us I wouldn't care much.

In midfield, I hope the departures of Rosicky/Denilson means Wenger will be forced to bring in a midfielder, but he's lost much more influential midfielders in one window and failed to replace them, so I'm not holding my breath.

Up front, with the sale of Bendtner, another CF should be brought in especially considering Gervinho/Chamakh will be heading to the ACN, along with RvP's fragility.

To summarize, a new CB, LB and wide forward (Gervinho) will come in. Anything else and I would be surprised and elated. There will still be holes, but we can't expect EVERYTHING to be fixed in one summer. Hopefully we'll do enough to win the league.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

AFC-Phil said:
AnthonyG said:

Personally, I see this as a good opportunity to get a decent amount for him before he's too old, as well as a chance to open up space on our wage bill for other players.
Because he's an extremely effective option with experience, more now obviously in the EPL. Make someone else keep him out if they are good enough. The other stuff is nice, but maybe not so realistic.

AFC-Phil

Established Member

AnthonyG said:
AFC-Phil said:
AnthonyG said:

Because he's an extremely effective option with experience, more now obviously in the EPL. Make someone else keep him out if they are good enough. The other stuff is nice, but maybe not so realistic.

Fair enough.

If he could sort out his basic passing and not break down so many of our attacking moves, i'd be more welcoming to the idea of keeping him. (I'd still prefer him to go though, as stated in the OP)

If Nasri was to go, keeping Arshavin wouldn't be too bad, for obvious reasons.

arsenallegends

Established Member

I don't yet see how we will accommodate players next season. Assuming Bendtner, Clichy and Denilson are on the way out, I can could see a squad like this:

Szczeny, Sagna, Vermaelen, x, x, Song, Wilshere, Cesc, Gervinho, Van Persie, Nasri.
Subs: Fabianski, Eboue, Djourou, Diaby, Ramsey, Walcott, Chamakh

Arshavin, Gibbs, Koscielny, Rosicky, Vela will be left out. Begs the question how much time Jenkinson, Arshavin, Lansbury, Chamberlain if we bought him, would see.

Gunner_JT

Realistically, I can see Denilson, Bendtner, Almunia and Vela leaving, or if not a loan until January as we may need cover with the ACN. Eboue is a possibility to leave but we'd be a bit light at RB. Bartley, Botelho, Miquel should go out on loan and with the potential signing of Gervinho, Samba and a CM we'd have a squad ready to kick off the season.

Anzac

Established Member

As it stands we're not good enough to win anything, and neither is AW with these players.

The only question is the 'race' to hold onto top4 & how long we are able to postpone what appears to be our slow slide outside the top4. When that happens I expect to see a free fall similar to that of LFC initially, but I doubt we have the ability/capability on or off the pitch to claw our way back.

IMO we are 'marking time' until AW leaves, and in more ways than 1. When that happens we'll see change by revolution rather than evolution, as IMO many players (whilst perhaps only going through the motions), are only still here because of some 'loyalty' to AW or the 'easy' ride he provides them.

scytheavatar

Established Member

I will be very surprised if Coquelin gets loaned out, he looks the closest of all the loanees to first team action and I think he will be a solid addition to either defensive mid or right back. Lansbury looks less developed and less ready than him.

Vela is a goner, Eboue is anything but a "solid option", I sure hope that Jenkinson will prove himself soon (again, Coquelin is another option too, we'll see where Wenger plays him next season). We'll see who else leaves and who else comes in, either way we certainly need lots of signings this window.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"

AnthonyG said:
I'd definitely keep Arshavin. And, call me crazy, but Rosicky too. I think he'll be better with this past season under his belt and a good, experienced option to keep around.

I'm somewhat undecided about the Clichy situation, but lean towards keeping him.

Would like another more robust midfielder, ala Song, but still think we can play the likes of Jack, Cesc, and Ramsey together with success.
Agree with the bit in bold. Call me crazy too.

I don't mind keeping Clichy, but I want a new left fullback. Also want a new top tall central defender.

Still think the main problem with our squad is that we concede goals to easily. We went 1 goal down too often, we allowed the opposition to comeback after a lead too often. This makes it much, much, more difficult for our attack. It's easier to score when you're already a goal up (or at least not behind). Too many times we cracked an opponent, soon after which we allowed them to get back into the match and had to start all over again against a reparked bus. Same goes for conceding first in a match.

patrick42uk

Established Member

Arshavin, Bendtner, Diaby, Rosicky, Almunia and Denilson. If these are not in our squad come the start of the season, we'd be better for it.

If Cesc leaves, replace him with RVP and get a forward in. Think its imperative we get a cm in. I dont like the idea of a DMC. I dont want an immobile, reactive player. I want someone who goes out and forces the issue when we dont have the ball. In some of the recent reports I read linking us to Odemwingie, Mulumbu was mentioned. That guy is seriously underrated. His engine is pretty remarkable and he wins tackles all day. Not the best technically but I'd more than make that concession for his other qualities. He is exactly the type of player we should be looking at IMO, in terms of style.

AFC-Phil

Established Member

patrick42uk said:
I dont want an immobile, reactive player. I want someone who goes out and forces the issue when we dont have the ball. In some of the recent reports I read linking us to Odemwingie, Mulumbu was mentioned. That guy is seriously underrated. His engine is pretty remarkable and he wins tackles all day. Not the best technically but I'd more than make that concession for his other qualities. He is exactly the type of player we should be looking at IMO, in terms of style.

Would I be right in saying that you want someone who is a ball winner, but isn't restricted to sitting deep and can press higher up the pitch to get the ball back quickly? (In a similar role that Vieira played for us)

Freagle

I am curious as to whether some of you guys would give (Vela, JET, Coquelin, Lansbury) a chance to fight for their spot. I mean, with all the pessimism and lack of patience from fans (although it is justified, will fans remain patient as we look to give chances for those players mentioned?

Vela can play as a winger and Coquelin can provide a good challenge for Song. I haven't seen a lot of Coquelin last season but from what I have seen, he looks like he is ready to burst and fight for his spot. Mind me, I may be wrong but surely some of us are being realistic and that the complete overhaul most are craving for won't happen. At best, I feel we can get 2-3 signings and a couple of youngsters promoted.

Players who need to leave: Almunia, Denilson, Bendtner & Clichy
Players in: LB, CB and a Winger

DM can be promoted and as a ST we have Vela, JET and Walcott.

I have been a huge supporter of Clichy, but it has to be said that he has regressed over the years. I don't really see a point in keeping him to be honest. I just can't understand why a defender of Gaels caliber should take two steps back just to clear a ball. It's mind boggling that one of our experienced full-backs fails at the basics.

patrick42uk

Established Member

AFC-Phil said:
patrick42uk said:
I dont want an immobile, reactive player. I want someone who goes out and forces the issue when we dont have the ball. In some of the recent reports I read linking us to Odemwingie, Mulumbu was mentioned. That guy is seriously underrated. His engine is pretty remarkable and he wins tackles all day. Not the best technically but I'd more than make that concession for his other qualities. He is exactly the type of player we should be looking at IMO, in terms of style.

Would I be right in saying that you want someone who is a ball winner, but isn't restricted to sitting deep and can press higher up the pitch to get the ball back quickly? (In a similar role that Vieira played for us)

Exactly. Win the ball in the opposition's half = creating chances. I dislike the idea of a DMC. It means you have one player less offensively. For a team like us that wants to play as high up the pitch as possible to squeeze the opposition, its a pointless position.

TheEconomist

Established Member

did you mean analysis of 2010/11?

we cant start analysing 2011/12 yet because we are still waiting on transfers

raidersoftheark

Established Member

Rosicky is finished as a footballer. I can't believe people want to keep him. The real problem is who would actually want him given his injuries and terrible form for the past year?

Top Bottom