• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

Aevi

Hale End FC
Anyone noticed how incredibly panicked we looked any time we had possession of the ball? Only Wilshere looked remotely comfortable and that's saying something considering he was not very good (probably only one that played with any intensity though).

Also, anyone noticed how one-dimensional we look without anyone who can dribble? Again, Wilshere probably the only one who looked to take the ball past people. Özil was terrible. We need dribblers in this team.
Completely agree, when teams manage to stifle our passing ability we have no other tools in our locker.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Completely agree, when teams manage to stifle our passing ability we have no other tools in our locker.
Not much passing ability these days honestly. It's the most un-Wenger-like Wenger team I can remember. No ballers except for Nelson and Jeff :lol:. Iwobi doesn't have enough thrust as a dribbler.

City looked so comfy on the ball, both carrying and passing, that it stood out to me. I was quite jealous - they were even missing Sterling. They could have killed us even more brutally on another day.

Vibra

Established Member
Our squad looks like it's been assembled at random, with no rhyme or reason. We look like my sister's fantasy team she forgets about after 3 days

We've always had flaws in the squad but the pieces fit. This is ****

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

After Xhaka, Kolasinac and Mustafi I think we should step back from the Bundesliga, it's a farmers league. We should stick to Spain and France they have the best talents.

I mean we got Mustafi and Gabriel from La Liga, and a whole string of flops from France. There's so many poor errors in the transfer market in recent years.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Not much passing ability these days honestly. It's the most un-Wenger-like Wenger team I can remember. No ballers except for Nelson and Jeff :lol:. Iwobi doesn't have enough thrust as a dribbler.

City looked so comfy on the ball, both carrying and passing, that it stood out to me. I was quite jealous - they were even missing Sterling. They could have killed us even more brutally on another day.

We're a passing team that doesn't know how to pass :lol:

The lack of technical quality throughout this team is painful. Seeing us try to play out the back makes me weep.

Vibra

Established Member
It's the most un-Wenger-like Wenger team I can remember.

Seriously. If Wenger one day writes in his book that the board was responsible for all the signings for the last 3 years I'd say I ****ing knew it. How does someone once so obsessed with technical attacking midfield midgets assemble a team that is so unimaginative, so lacking in technical ability and actual footballing ability? This isn't a rhetorical question I'd actually like to know

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Our bench is also shockingly poor. Just the exclusion of two players, like Laca Mkhitaryan today, and suddenly you literally have no one of the bench competent enough to effect the game. I said this about the Sp**s game as well. If you're looking to Welbeck and Iwobi change the outcome of a result then you're serious trouble.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I mean we got Mustafi and Gabriel from La Liga, and a whole string of flops from France. There's so many poor errors in the transfer market in recent years.
I think the problem is twofold personally. Some of these players might be poor fits in general, but Wenger nowadays seems to sign players without figuring out beforehand exactly what he wants to do with them. A lot of these players have left the club and are actually playing decent football. I watched a Valencia game the other day and even Coquelin looked really good in a role that was designed for him as it relates to the rest of his team (I'm a fan of Marcelino as a manager to be fair).

Even FACKING YAYA SANOGO LOOKS LIKE A NORMAL PLAYER! :lol: Bullied Monaco yesterday.

Xhaka might be limited but Gladbach used him well to mitigate his weaknesses. We do nothing of the sort at Arsenal. I'm even thinking Cazorla/Coquelin was a complete accident :lol:. I normally give Wenger the benefit of the doubt! The errors in the transfer market have not entirely been down to the personnel and more due to how they're used. It's like upside-down from how things used to be.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Our bench is also shockingly poor. Just the exclusion of two players, like Laca Mkhitaryan today, and suddenly you literally have no one of the bench competent enough to effect the game. I said this about the Sp**s game as well. If you're looking to Welbeck and Iwobi change the outcome of a result then you're serious trouble.
Might be a strange opinion but I felt a little bit sorry for Nketiah, seeing as we only progressed in the competition because he turned up in the last couple of minutes v Norwich. I reckon given enough time and minutes, he'd have been far more effective this season than Welbeck but it's too late for that now. Gotta wait and hope next season.

To think, Welbeck actually started the season pretty decently! :lol:

FreakySami

I think the problem is twofold personally. Some of these players might be poor fits in general, but Wenger nowadays seems to sign players without figuring out beforehand exactly what he wants to do with them. A lot of these players have left the club and are actually playing decent football. I watched a Valencia game the other day and even Coquelin looked really good in a role that was designed for him as it relates to the rest of his team (I'm a fan of Marcelino as a manager to be fair).

Even FACKING YAYA SANOGO LOOKS LIKE A NORMAL PLAYER! :lol: Bullied Monaco yesterday.

Xhaka might be limited but Gladbach used him well to mitigate his weaknesses. We do nothing of the sort at Arsenal. I'm even thinking Cazorla/Coquelin was a complete accident :lol:. I normally give Wenger the benefit of the doubt! The errors in the transfer market have not entirely been down to the personnel and more due to how they're used. It's like upside-down from how things used to be.

Sanogoal first of all and that kid needed game time and to get his body back in shape.

Second of all, the transfers took a weird turn after we hired gazidis. Anyways. I'm not in the mood to talk right now.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Might be a strange opinion but I felt a little bit sorry for Nketiah, seeing as we only progressed in the competition because he turned up in the last couple of minutes v Norwich. I reckon given enough time and minutes, he'd have been far more effective this season than Welbeck but it's too late for that now. Gotta wait and hope next season.

To think, Welbeck actually started the season pretty decently! :lol:
Yeah definitely agree with you. Seems Wenger have favored using "throw away" games or moments to give Welbeck minutes to build up his confidence rather than aid in the development of Nketiah. Really strange since most of us can see their is nothing there with Welbeck. At least Nketiah has potential, might as well see just how much he has.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah definitely agree with you. Seems Wenger have favored using "throw away" games or moments to give Welbeck minutes to build up his confidence rather than aid in the development of Nketiah. Really strange since most of us can see their is nothing there with Welbeck. At least Nketiah has potential, might as well see just how much he has.
Wenger used a lot of throwaway games this season to appease squad members who haven't done the business enough or otherwise became surplus. Giroud and Walcott, as much as they have done decently for us, played a number of terrible games for us this season before leaving, when Nelson and Nketiah could have been in their place. Nelson's momentum killed playing RWB, Nketiah scrapping for bench places even after destroying Norwich almost single-handedly.

How different could their seasons have been had they been given more of a rub. Now their momentum is gone. Nelson looks somewhat shorn of confidence. Poor IMO.

It's poor use of a disjointed squad. Sometimes some things work. Then it runs out of steam fast once teams clock the half-baked plan. Many games this season, both in the league and the EL, the system did not look well crafted and players were shoehorned into roles that were not beneficial for them.

Sane and Gundogan are from the Bundesliga.
And here's the all-important follow-up question:

Would either of those players look as good for us as they do for Man City? Guardiola at least has a plan in that City team. Total control and movement by design in the middle and devastating directness on both wings.

Aevi

Hale End FC
And here's the all-important follow-up question:

Would either of those players look as good for us as they do for Man City? Guardiola at least has a plan in that City team. Total control and movement by design in the middle and devastating directness on both wings.
They wouldn't look as good as they do for City, that's for sure. There are definitely tactical issues here, I don't believe Özil, Aubameyang, Wilshere, Ramsey etc. are as bad as these performances suggest. If you flip it and imagine them playing for City, I could see them being consistently good performers. It feels wrong to say but Wenger just doesn't have what it takes anymore.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
We need a completely new spine and have done for years. Ok we now have Auba but we need top GK, 2 x CB's & DM. Then we can start to build around them but before we do any of that we need a new manager and I hope and prey its this summer.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
They wouldn't look as good as they do for City, that's for sure. There are definitely tactical issues here, I don't believe Özil, Aubameyang, Wilshere, Ramsey etc. are as bad as these performances suggest. If you flip it and imagine them playing for City, I could see them being consistently good performers. It feels wrong to say but Wenger just doesn't have what it takes anymore.
I mean, I'm no football manager or coach, but I would assume team/squad building is an essential part of management in any field, including sport. There has to be a decent mixture adhering to that which you want to achieve. The last time I felt we had that was 2011. Since then, the team has been choppy at best. RVP carried us for a season before f*cking off, Arteta held our midfield together until his legs started to fail him, then the same thing happened to Cazorla. The team doesn't have an identity anymore. What are the tactical objectives of the team? What are their roles outside of just their positions? (which seem to change mid-match at will to gung-ho attacks with no design or pattern).

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
giphy.gif

Aevi

Hale End FC
Who's top quality and reliable in this side that you can build around?

???
Bellerin - ??? - ??? - Monreal
??? - Ramshere
Mkhi - Özil - ???
Aubameyang
Lots of work to be done this summer. A new manager could help to revitalize some of the players we already have too.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I mean, I'm no football manager or coach, but I would assume team/squad building is an essential part of management in any field, including sport. There has to be a decent mixture adhering to that which you want to achieve. The last time I felt we had that was 2011. Since then, the team has been choppy at best. RVP carried us for a season before f*cking off, Arteta held our midfield together until his legs started to fail him, then the same thing happened to Cazorla. The team doesn't have an identity anymore. What are the tactical objectives of the team? What are their roles outside of just their positions? (which seem to change mid-match at will to gung-ho attacks with no design or pattern).
I agree, I wonder how long Arsenal/Wenger's reputation is going to last. We supposedly play nice football and get the best out of players, but that couldn't be farther from the truth now. There is a certain amount of respect for this club in the football community but soon enough that will fade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom