• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Has Koscielny ever really played well without Mertesacker next to him? We all rate him as such a legend but he's had almost as many bad performances as good, he's been a big reason why our defence always looks shakey, and not a leader at all.

Crocrodile

There are a few obvious squad/roster problems on this team.

1. No starting GK
At this point in time, neither Čech nor Ospina can be described as a starting option. Both are average shot-stoppers, neither is a presence on set pieces and their distribution often leaves something to be desired. Look to Utd or Tottenham, both have GKs who get them 10-15 pts per season in De Gea and Lloris, this is the type of GK we should be striving to have and sign. Good thing Wenger doesn't rate GKs, he let his best one go to Torino.

2. No competition for Bellerin. Lad is complacent.

3. At CB, just don't know how much of it is training and preparation, however we probably need 2, probably 3 new guys. The issue with Arsenal is a lack of system and then a lack of a vocal organizer and conductor of said system, that isn't all action frontal CB. Again, tied to the manager.

4. LB is a mess with regressing Monreal, out-of-form Kola who might not be a fit and should be sold to recoup the money spent and AMN going in and out of the lineup at aforementioned position. The solution would be to get a dedicated younger starter to make the spot his own, with Monreal staying as backup until a youngster could take over.

5. A real DM would really help, especially in matches vs top sides. A guy who can shield the defense and add other midfielders security and condense the danger area along with key passing lanes is a must.

6. CM is such a clusterfuck, however, I believe ATM baring a rejuvination from a new manager not one of our senior CMs is good enough to win with. Xhaka is deployed wrong, lost confidence and is too slow. He doesn't have great football IQ to compensate, extremely one-footed. Rambo's biggest problem is availability and lack of discipline, he is also technically suspect. Wilshere just lost the quality along the way, there just isn't much there anymore. Not fast, not particularly creative anymore. None of our CMs are actually. Sad. Once a technical side that now can't string 5 decent forward-moving passes.

7. Wingers, again, what on paper looks a good unit doesn't function properly because we have inverted wingers who condense the middle instead of providing good spacing. Even though I hate Özil the player and think he 's a luxury player, I contend it is useless to use him on the wing and not at the #10. The biggest problem though is a lack of players who can take on a man and actually beat them, what a Bailey type of signing could do, even someone like Oxlade could have done in the past and Nelson will hopefully do in the future. I think we do have those types in our youth system, but their time isn't now.

8. A target man would fit us better ATM due to our inability to play technical football and lofting balls up-front. However, this can be remedied through playing good football, which I hope we'll do next year.

9. The bench is horrid, we need more quality and energy there, our youngsters can provide the same as Elnenny, Mertesacker, Welbeck...

We 're looking at a team that needs a thorough rebuild under the lead of a new manager, I myself cannot make an assessment how much due to our coaching stuff and the tendency of players to regress under it, but there is a bunch of work. Youth system looking like they can do their part and SvenSan with hopefully a new manager should do their.

OSBK

Established Member
Need a keeper, why not go for schiemcel from leicester.

Lb and rb, need quality backups not some british kid to make up the youngsters.

Cb, I would ship them all out. Get maguire in, bully spuds for alderwield.

Cm, rambo's had his chance and we cannot afford to have the same crape every season. Neny, xhaka and jack are all easily upgradable.

Cam, I love Özil but he is not what we need. His playstyle is suited to strong powerful runner like ronaldo, atm he is trying to play football with airheads like rambo and neny. We have mhky which playstyle suits us much better.

Cf, actually think we have 2 stars in auba and laca. In welbeck we have the biggest fraud since heskey.

Oh and wenger out please

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

New GK
Bellerin New CB New CB Monreal*
Xhaka
Ramsey** Özil
Mkhitaryan Aubaeyang New LW
I truly believe this is what we should be building around. We need a more modern GK who's kinda a mixture between Cech and Ospina but without the braindead moments. Two new CB's is becoming essential, I suppose Evans would do as one of them for the next season or two but the other has to be top class like a Koulibaly or in fantasy world Alderwiereld. I put the * besides Monreal because I still think he's a top LB he's aging a bit now and will need replacing sooner or later, while ** is for Ramsey in case he doesn't sign an extension so we need a replacement (could do with some competition there anyways because of his fitness). Then another wide forward is obvious at this stage, preferably someone who can score from wide.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
giphy.gif

Worst thing about getting a new manager is that some of these ****** will get a much dreaded second chance. With the exception of a few and new players I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing the back of them all.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Worst thing about getting a new manager is that some of these ****** will get a much dreaded second chance. With the exception of a few and new players I genuinely wouldn't mind seeing the back of them all.

Who would you keep from the current squad?

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
It took LVG a month to bin Welbeck, I doubt a new manager needs a season to value our players, one pre-season would be enough for most of them.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Sane and Gundogan are from the Bundesliga.
And Mustafi came from Spain. So did Gabriel, Perez and Lucas.

Think we should just stop buying players until we get a new man in place that can mould a team

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Özil, Laca, Auba, Micki. That's about it. Maybe Nacho and Kos too, but they'e getting old so a bit indifferent with them. What about you?

Realistically if I was a new manager coming in I'd keep Özil, Auba, Laca, Mkhi, Ramsey, Wilshere, Kos, Chambers, Monreal, Kolasinac, Bellerin & Cech. Plus the youngsters AMN, Nelson, Nketiah etc. Maybe Iwobi as a back-up midfielder, just cos he's still young and I'd give him a season to sort himself out.

But I wouldn't look at those players like guaranteed starters, I'd work from the basis that they're squad players who all need to prove why they should be in the team. I'd recruit around 10 new players immediately and then after one season if some of the existing players are still underperforming even under new coaching I'd ship them out.

Longy

First 11 worth keeping........

--------------GK--------------
Bellerin--CB-CB--Monreal
----------DM--Jack----------
Mikhi------Özil--------LF
------------Auba-------------

Squad players worth keeping on bench.........

Cech
Chambers, Holding, Koscielny, Kolasinac
Elneny, Xhaka, AMN
Lacazette, Neilson, Niketah

The rest you can move on......

arsmile

Established Member
it feels like we need a completely different set up

we ended up with a system to get the best out of alexis with the help of a giroud shaped CF..and to accommodate Özil centrally...then we chucked in an extra CB sometimes to try and counteract a CM area which cannot do anything off the ball..

it's a mishmash of compromises made for players- some of whom are not even at the club anymore.

We should be rethinking everything-but i can't see any system working without a new CM who can defend with some strength and mobility

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
it feels like we need a completely different set up

we ended up with a system to get the best out of alexis with the help of a giroud shaped CF..and to accommodate Özil centrally...then we chucked in an extra CB sometimes to try and counteract a CM area which cannot do anything off the ball..

it's a mishmash of compromises made for players- some of whom are not even at the club anymore.

We should be rethinking everything-but i can't see any system working without a new CM who can defend with some strength and mobility

Exactly. Why we are still playing 343 without Alexis is a mystery

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
One thing Pep's spending spree has highlighted is the fact that you can rip up a squad/sections of it and transform it. Or amend aside,City have a whole new defence. It's what I want us to do.
GK-Allison/Lafont/Oblak/Donnarumma :drool:
CB-Giminez, de Vrij, Rugani,Koulibaly
RB-Tierney?
LB-Gaya
DM-Seri, Jorginho
CM-Meyer, Cebellos,Sergej
Winger-Carrasco, Mahrez,Lemar,Fekir.
There are potentially 3 free transfers in there to help reduce the outlay. I hope were working overtime on Giminez,de Vrij and Meyer. We'd have to sell of course but the players I've mentioned all increase our pace and technical levels and gave the ability to play multiple systems.
It's a dream that I hope will be at least 75% realised.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
One thing Pep's spending spree has highlighted is the fact that you can rip up a squad/sections of it and transform it. Or amend aside,City have a whole new defence. It's what I want us to do.
GK-Allison/Lafont/Oblak/Donnarumma :drool:
CB-Giminez, de Vrij, Rugani,Koulibaly
RB-Tierney?
LB-Gaya
DM-Seri, Jorginho
CM-Meyer, Cebellos,Sergej
Winger-Carrasco, Mahrez,Lemar,Fekir.
There are potentially 3 free transfers in there to help reduce the outlay. I hope were working overtime on Giminez,de Vrij and Meyer. We'd have to sell of course but the players I've mentioned all increase our pace and technical levels and gave the ability to play multiple systems.
It's a dream that I hope will be at least 75% realised.

Oblak just signed a new contract, Carrasco just moved to China and Gimenez isn't actually available on a free. I thought he was myself, but turns out his contract runs till 2020. Not sure why everyone's been saying he's available on a free, but he's a good player. de Vrij is definitely available on a free though and we should go for him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Oblak just signed a new contract, Carrasco just moved to China and Gimenez isn't actually available on a free. I thought he was myself, but turns out his contract runs till 2020. Not sure why everyone's been saying he's available on a free, but he's a good player. de Vrij is definitely available on a free though and we should go for him.
Thanks for the info. I thought Carrasco would wait until after the WC and I didn't know about Oblak and Giminez. Lots of rumours on de Vrij moving to Liverpool or Inter. I just hope we move quickly. I think the window shuts on August 9th-which is about the time our transfer activity usually starts.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
With the domestic season over hope we pick a formation & stick with the same lineup.

So much change is not helping this group when so many lack game intelligence. Let them become comfortable with roles & start to have partnerships form.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
With the domestic season over hope we pick a formation & stick with the same lineup.

So much change is not helping this group when so many lack game intelligence. Let them become comfortable with roles & start to have partnerships form.

We have a fairly easy end of the season, EL aside.

Might as well give Nelson and others some playing time depending on the game at hand.

Top Bottom