• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Did you watch us against CSKA? Pretty good game.

But we're clearly a disjointed team atm. One of our main players left, we signed two new ones to replace him, our midfield is ****, defence even worse, manager lost it, etc.

2011-2013 we were just **** and rebuilding... but since about 2013 we've clearly left the 'play good football at all cost' a bit behind us... something that actually was requested by most, and we've won trophies in the process and actually finally started beating big teams pretty regularly. Teams that used to bully us on a consistent basis like Chelsea and Manure for example.

You know you gotta judge teams over a season and not one game? CSKA aren't on this level.

I don't really see what you're arguing with me about. Regardless of winning domestic cups our league form is still important and it's only been getting worse.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
How are we playing worse than those seasons where we'd have our whole squad injured?

I think it's simply down to the defence. In previous seasons we always had the odd issue at the back but not the entire defence inc GK. We've already conceded more PL goals (45) than we did last season (44) and we've still got 5 games to play. If you look at 15 to 16 and 14 to 15 we conceded 36 PL goals. Our entire defence is awful and its costing us pts!

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Yeah and now we're playing **** football and all our main players are fit, you're proving my point.
Its directionless now more than just ****. Whats our style? Typical goal? Who takes control on the ball?

Wenger always had his guys in the center of midfield be it Cesc, Santi, Arteta to build around even with very average players. Now nothing & no surprise the CL places have gone with it.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
You know you gotta judge teams over a season and not one game? CSKA aren't on this level.

I don't really see what you're arguing with me about. Regardless of winning domestic cups our league form is still important and it's only been getting worse.

Yeah because we used to play good football the whole time back then. :rolleyes: Remember before we signed Arshavin? Three 0-0 home games in a row only for him to come and save us from pointless possession football.

I mentioned trophies because as I said, many tactical geniuses requested at the time that we put the beautiful football aside and be more pragmactic, so it has had its cost.

LG10

Our transfer business from 2015 onwards is whats cost us the most, even more than Wenger I think.

Cech, Xhaka, Mustafi all awful signings for our spine. By the end of next season people will realize Kolasinac, Mikhitaryan, and Lacazette were also poor pieces of business.

I refuse to believe Wenger was the catalyst behind these signings. Despite his many limitations, the man knows talent and was usually spot on with his signings.

HBL

Established Member
Our transfer business from 2015 onwards is whats cost us the most, even more than Wenger I think.

Cech, Xhaka, Mustafi all awful signings for our spine. By the end of next season people will realize Kolasinac, Mikhitaryan, and Lacazette were also poor pieces of business.

I refuse to believe Wenger was the catalyst behind these signings. Despite his many limitations, the man knows talent and was usually spot on with his signings.
Writing off any of those three is a crazy statement to make.

LG10

Writing off any of those three is a crazy statement to make.
You can make a case for kolasinac maybe. The other two are at their peaks, they're not gonna improve substantially. They're good players, but shouldn't be starters for a team that wants to break into the top 4.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
People are still choosing Monreal over Kola even going into the next season?

Cant fathom some people!

And the lunacy of putting Xhaka, Ramsey and Bellerin on the chopping block? Frekkin idiocracy

Longy

Can anyone name a player that has improved under Wenger in the last 5 years (maybe more) that has improved ?

Serious question.

HBL

Established Member
A lot of weak sources suggesting that Xhaka and Mustafi could be gone in the summer. Going to be an interesting summer ahead once we’ve appointed a new manager.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
All the underperforming players should now be aware that they are marked men.

If we get someone like Allegri then he won’t be as much of a gentle father figure to them and won’t tolerate ****ty season after ****ty season and still renew their contracts.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Here's my thoughts on the squad going forward

Cech/Ospina - torn on which would be backup for a new number 1. Cech for the experience he can pass on, or Ospina who has a more years left in the tank compared to Petr. Neither would fetch much in terms of a fee but probably a safe bet that Cech is on quite a bit more when it comes to wage. Possible that Ospina will want out for first team football anyway.

Martinez - time to move on. Continue with Macey as third choice.

Per - obviously retiring

Koscielny - still good for a year or two, but gradually needs to be phased out to more of a backup role. Fitness problems rumoured to improved since taking up yoga.

Holding/Chambers - still too early to write off either, but maybe get one of them out on loan for the season.

Mustafi - split on this. Not sure if I woul sell if a decent offer came in and a solid replacement lined up, or keep due to Per retiring and not wanting to have too much upheaval in the backline over one summer.

Greek lad - know nothing about him but probably best to get him out on loan for half a year and see what he can do.

Monreal - hopefully can go on for another year but a long-term replacement does need to be lined up.

Kolasinac - started off well but his clumsiness became a concern. Would give him another year to improve.

Bellerin - assume he'll be off if a big offer arrives. Hope to keep hold of him though and get him back to his best.

Jenkinson - bin. Needs a move for his own sake.

Mkhitarayn/Özil/Ramsey - keep. Make Ramsey's contract situation a priority.

Wilshere - think he's off and surprisingly I'm not that fussed. Don't see him as a first teamer even if he was to re-sign.

Cazorla - sorry Santi, but time to move on with contract coming to an end.

Elneny - capable squad player and recently signed a new contract

Xhaka - will be interesting to see him under a new manager/in a new system.

Niles/Nelson/Willock/Nketah - hope to see them all continue to develop.

Lacazette/Aubameyang - main men up top. Suspect the club may be tempted to cash in on laca if a large offer arrived and use it to strengthen elsewhere.

Iwobi - frustrating season but maybe a new manager will bring about a wake-up call for him. Very capable on his day.

Welbeck - ok backup but nothing more. Entering last year of his contract so would move on if hints at not resigning.

Perez - would keep if other strikers are moved on.

Akpom/Asano - neither will cut it here. Move on.

Campbell - wouldn't mind giving him another chance but think he'll moved on.

progman07

Established Member
A lot of weak sources suggesting that Xhaka and Mustafi could be gone in the summer. Going to be an interesting summer ahead once we’ve appointed a new manager.
I cannot see why any serious manager would keep Mustafi. Xhaka on the other hand could be a rotation player, he is nowhere near good enough to be starting 30+ games a season, but he could play a role in my opinion.

Hopefully we will get two quality players in their position during the summer.

MustOezil

don't expect an overhaul.

obvious departures are Mertesacker, Perez, Jenkinson and Akpom. I would love to see Mustafi shown to door, but that will depend on the suitors and price. Wilshere might be cut as well since he's not signing the offer on table and we're not going to bend over for his wages after years of injury.

Expect a CM, RB and CB to come in and promotion of a number of youths.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Yes, agreed.

Our squad isnt as bad as the opposition fans like to think it is. We are just in need of proper tactical work on the field, with more defined roles for our players.

Very interested to see the likes of Ramsey, Xhaka, Cech, Bellerin, Elneny and even Mustafi under new management.

Latest posts

Top Bottom