• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

Aevi

Hale End FC
See, you're contradicting yourself right now.
Zaha is good because he missed 10 games and his team is poor, but Lucas is bad because his team relegated.
At Depor, Adrian Lopez was the player involved in most goals this season(14), while Andone and Lucas both share the same numbers (11).

The point is that if we're getting a winger, we should be looking at better players than Zaha and if we can't afford anyone better, then Lucas makes the most sense to be kept for another year, since we have a new defense to buy.
Lucas can't take players on like Zaha can, which is something we desperately need.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Zaha is brilliant & vital to Palace... Physically impressive, great with the ball & last two seasons kicked with his production.

Lucas got shifted wide through lack of goals, fans even protested to get him out the team & hopefully Sven manages to shift him.
Zaha with 8 goals and 3 assists is brilliant and vital for Palace, but he's also physically impressive, being outmuscled by our featherweight players when we played them. What a joke. :lol:

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Lucas can't take players on like Zaha can, which is something we desperately need.
Uhm, Lucas has quite a bit of pace and can go past players. Zaha can dribble, I'll give him that, but his decision making and sometimes clumsy way of playing isn't anything to write home about. He's more similar to Danny in that sense.
I see what you're saying, but english players are always expensive and if you have a good scouting department, you'll find better options for that money.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Zaha with 8 goals and 3 assists is brilliant and vital for Palace, but he's also physically impressive, being outmuscled by our featherweight players when we played them. What a joke. :lol:
Check out points with him vs points without.

Or the chances created, take ons, dribbles completed etc.

Their top scorer has 10 goals.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
As I’ve posted before

Özil, Ramsey, Aubameyang and Lacazette all being starting 11 players poses a problem.

Only formation that fits them in is a diamond with Ramsey as a wise midfielder alongside another wide midfielder and a DM

We have no wingers so might make sense. Keep Welbeck and Nketiah as back up strikers

Mhiki rotates with the wide mids and even Özil

Can 442 Diamond work in the modern game?
I totally agree with the fact we cant play all the players but I'm against a diamond I dont think it would work.

We have massive massive balancing issues right now as you said. It's actually a multifaceted one. In the attack we have Auba and Lacazette as strikers and then literally no out and out wingers. Mkhy is a competent one but doesnt give proper width. Özil is not a winger at all. Welbeck or Iwobi simply cant do the job correctly. We need a balanced attack where we have players who can hug the touchline.. taking the ball to the byline and taking on players consistently. I remember really noticing this in our loss to Sp**s at Wembley... we need a player to get behind the line, someone with searing pace and dribbling ability. Bailey, Malcom come to mind.

Balance issue in midfield atm. We play a bank of 2 with two players who can barely even do one job: defend. Ramsey bombs forward leaving Xhaka who is lost defensively and when pressured with his front to our goal. They both cant really run games through their passing ability. A very weird partnership considering the way Wenger likes to play...

I think we need to sell one of Wilshere/Ramsey (i think ramsey has much more to offer) and bring in either a replacement for xhaka who is a competent CDM.. or switch to a 433 and buy a box to box player to help xhaka and Ramsey. That then poses the issue towards Özil and Mkhy. These two CAN NOT play together on the wings the width is poor. So the manager has an issue.

Our January dealings may have looked exciting at the time but when looked at in terms of balance and tactics were very poor. It was clear we needed a proper winger given Walcott and Sanchez were leaving. We also got rid of our target man for Aubameyang who is cup tied (we lost 2 EL players and gained 0, which had an effect on our performance vs Athleti). We now have two good strikers but no proper wingers. And even though im Armenian so im over the moon we signed Mkhy, hes a winger/creator ... another player who doesnt give us proper width.

Its therefore a must that we sign a proper winger and a competent midfielder depending on the formation we take up

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
If we're going for a winger, then my vote is Depay. Kind of unrealistic considering he signed for Lyon a year ago and he would cost a pretty penny, but he's so worth it because he has it all.
He would slide perfectly in the spot Alexis left and we'd have a player who scores from long range and freekicks.
With the right coach and contract, I'm sure he would look away from not playing a year in the CL.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I totally agree with the fact we cant play all the players but I'm against a diamond I dont think it would work.

We have massive massive balancing issues right now as you said. It's actually a multifaceted one. In the attack we have Auba and Lacazette as strikers and then literally no out and out wingers. Mkhy is a competent one but doesnt give proper width. Özil is not a winger at all. Welbeck or Iwobi simply cant do the job correctly. We need a balanced attack where we have players who can hug the touchline.. taking the ball to the byline and taking on players consistently. I remember really noticing this in our loss to Sp**s at Wembley... we need a player to get behind the line, someone with searing pace and dribbling ability. Bailey, Malcom come to mind.

Balance issue in midfield atm. We play a bank of 2 with two players who can barely even do one job: defend. Ramsey bombs forward leaving Xhaka who is lost defensively and when pressured with his front to our goal. They both cant really run games through their passing ability. A very weird partnership considering the way Wenger likes to play...

I think we need to sell one of Wilshere/Ramsey (i think ramsey has much more to offer) and bring in either a replacement for xhaka who is a competent CDM.. or switch to a 433 and buy a box to box player to help xhaka and Ramsey. That then poses the issue towards Özil and Mkhy. These two CAN NOT play together on the wings the width is poor. So the manager has an issue.

Our January dealings may have looked exciting at the time but when looked at in terms of balance and tactics were very poor. It was clear we needed a proper winger given Walcott and Sanchez were leaving. We also got rid of our target man for Aubameyang who is cup tied (we lost 2 EL players and gained 0, which had an effect on our performance vs Athleti). We now have two good strikers but no proper wingers. And even though im Armenian so im over the moon we signed Mkhy, hes a winger/creator ... another player who doesnt give us proper width.

Its therefore a must that we sign a proper winger and a competent midfielder depending on the formation we take up

Yes it seems we're waking up to this balance issue now. The defence is a massive task to fix in terms of quality and organisation but - provided the new coach plays a back 4 - it's quite simple tactically (just get them communicating in unison and sort out of the fullback positioning).

The midfield and attack is another matter though. I mean right now i'm thinking we should sacrifice a striker (Lacazette) and a midfielder (Ramsey) in order to bring in a proper winger and a DM to play in a 4-2-3-1. Incidentally I think Mkhi is fine as a sort of winger/attacking mid in that formation, as long as there was a proper winger on the other side.

But we don't even know who the new coach is ffs. He could be extremely tied to a completely different formation and then all this will mean nothing haha.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Coach: Conte or Allegri

Formation 352

Macey​
— Chambers — Dinos — Holding —
——————— New DM ——————-
——Özil — Mkhi — Ramsey — Xhaka—
——— Lacazette———— Aubameyang—

If needed Özil and Xhaka can drift out wide and act as wingers and send in crosses into the middle.

Honestly, I have no expectations for next season. If we appoint a top coach then I’d give him some time to fix the team and stay patient.

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Coach: Conte or Allegri

Formation 352

Macey​
— Chambers — Dinos — Holding —
——————— New DM ——————-
——Özil — Mkhi — Ramsey — Xhaka—
——— Lacazette———— Aubameyang—

If needed Özil and Xhaka can drift out wide and act as wingers and send in crosses into the middle.

Honestly, I have no expectations for next season. If we appoint a top coach then I’d give him some time to fix the team and stay patient.

You want to play our least mobile/agile, least capable of dribbling midfielder on the left wing?

Brown Gooner

You want to play our least mobile/agile, least capable of dribbling midfielder on the left wing?
He would be less of a left winger but more of a wide-ish Left midfielder. All he has to go is get in some space and whip in a decent cross.

Or swap Mkhi for Xhaka in that formation.

Longy

I would love to see Sven's dossier of players that he handed in to King Ivan.
My predictions.....

Cech - old but worth keeping as #2 - KEEP
Ospina - only good enough for #2 - SELL
NEED A NEW FIRST TEAM GK

Bellerin - young, good, needs coaching - KEEP
Chambers - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP
Holding - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP/LOAN
Mavropanos - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP
Mustafi - farked - SELL
Koscielny - old, injured, experienced - KEEP
Kolasinac - solid, needs coaching - KEEP
Monreal - solid, experienced - KEEP
NEED A NEW FIRST TEAM CB

Xhaka - solid, needs coaching - KEEP
Elneny - solid - KEEP
AMN - young, potential, versatile - KEEP
Willock - young, potential, needs coaching - LOAN
Wilshere - solid, versatile - KEEP
Ramsey - erratic - SELL (if not willing to be squad player)
Mikhitarian - solid, experienced - KEEP
NEED A NEW FIRST TEAM CM

Özil - solid - KEEP
Iwobi - erratic, needs coaching - KEEP
Nelson - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP
Lacazette - solid - KEEP
Aubemayang - solid - KEEP
Wellbeck - farked as - SELL
Nikhetah - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP/LOAN
NEED A NEW ATTACKER/WINGER

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I would love to see Sven's dossier of players that he handed in to King Ivan.
My predictions.....

Cech - old but worth keeping as #2 - KEEP
Ospina - only good enough for #2 - SELL
NEED A NEW FIRST TEAM GK

Bellerin - young, good, needs coaching - KEEP
Chambers - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP
Holding - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP/LOAN
Mavropanos - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP
Mustafi - farked - SELL
Koscielny - old, injured, experienced - KEEP
Kolasinac - solid, needs coaching - KEEP
Monreal - solid, experienced - KEEP
NEED A NEW FIRST TEAM CB

Xhaka - solid, needs coaching - KEEP
Elneny - solid - KEEP
AMN - young, potential, versatile - KEEP
Willock - young, potential, needs coaching - LOAN
Wilshere - solid, versatile - KEEP
Ramsey - erratic - SELL (if not willing to be squad player)
Mikhitarian - solid, experienced - KEEP
NEED A NEW FIRST TEAM CM

Özil - solid - KEEP
Iwobi - erratic, needs coaching - KEEP
Nelson - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP
Lacazette - solid - KEEP
Aubemayang - solid - KEEP
Wellbeck - farked as - SELL
Nikhetah - young, potential, needs coaching - KEEP/LOAN
NEED A NEW ATTACKER/WINGER

Very good assessment, apart from the obvious anti-Ramsey agenda. Could maybe keep Welbeck too, especially if we play with two strikers.

Brown Gooner

Starting Eleven:

Macey​
Hector — Chambers — Dinos — Sead
—————— New DM ——————
——Ramsey——Xhaka——Mkhi——
———Lacazette———PEA———

Coach: Allegri

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
You guys are coming up with some crazy formations to play 2 up front.

Why are people so against Lacazette being back up to Aubameyeng? Not like he's a world class player.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Looking back, it seems to me that the Sanchez debacle last summer transfer ruined this season for us before it had even started

We need to finally go into a new season without any negative question marks hanging over the club. This season it was the Alexis & Özil situation, the season before it was Wenger's contract situation, and the season before that it was the question of why we didn't buy a single bloody outfield player in the summer.

It's why the Ramsey situation has to be sorted one way or another this summer. For once I just want to go into a new season feeling reasonably content with the state of affairs and excited for what's to come.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
So many interesting posts that my hear is spinning. The main thing for me is what Gary Neville spoke about and that is the orders of the owner/board. Enrique apparently demanded £15m salary and a £200m transfer budget. Too much money cried the board and ran away. It seems that the board doesn't intend to try and win the title. It's obviously trying to scrape top 4 on a budget. To me,we don't have a single player we can sell to rebuild the squad. We will need magical coaching and the greatest luck ever seen to rebalanced this squad.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
If we're going for a winger, then my vote is Depay. Kind of unrealistic considering he signed for Lyon a year ago and he would cost a pretty penny, but he's so worth it because he has it all.
He would slide perfectly in the spot Alexis left and we'd have a player who scores from long range and freekicks.
With the right coach and contract, I'm sure he would look away from not playing a year in the CL.
While I'm sure he's matured as a player and pro since his stint in Manchester, I'm still unconvinced he can keep up with the speed and physicality of the PL; he doesn't have the athleticism to make the trickbox and long shots work here, IMO.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
While I'm sure he's matured as a player and pro since his stint in Manchester, I'm still unconvinced he can keep up with the speed and physicality of the PL; he doesn't have the athleticism to make the trickbox and long shots work here, IMO.
He's jacked if we're talking about physique, although that doesn't always transition into strength,
Depay didn't get a fair shot while at Manure because Van Gaal wasn't playing him in his best position and he spent a lot of time on the bench as well.
By what he's been doing this season at Lyon I think it's worth the gamble to bring him back here, but like I said in the previous post, I don't know if they'll sell after just getting their hands on him.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
He's jacked if we're talking about physique, although that doesn't always transition into strength,
Depay didn't get a fair shot while at Manure because Van Gaal wasn't playing him in his best position and he spent a lot of time on the bench as well.
By what he's been doing this season at Lyon I think it's worth the gamble to bring him back here, but like I said in the previous post, I don't know if they'll sell after just getting their hands on him.
I'm talking more about total athleticism: speed, strength, balance etc. He couldn't beat his man in the league last time around -- though he managed to in the EL(?) -- or keepers with his belters and that's a huge part of his game. Of course that's a fine line to be doing there but not here, so if he's improved tangibly and can now do it in the PL, he's worth a bid.

And if I recall correctly, he wasn't playing his best position because he was dropped for a teenage Martial and/or a geriatric Rooney. I believe he started the season as a bolt-on starter at left attacking mid / supporting striker.

Latest posts

Top Bottom