• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
A look at how few in our squad will be at the WC and starting for their countries speaks volumes about the lack of quality in our squad. This will be the first care free WC I've experienced in 20 years.
Tbf we have players who miss out because their countries are not going or because their countrymen are a vast bucket if talent

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Tbf we have players who miss out because their countries are not going or because their countrymen are a vast bucket if talent
I'd factored that in but cast your mind back to the days when we used to hate internationals because we were worried about injuries. Only three players likely to start at the WC. Probably the least of the top 6 clubs.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent

It's to our advantage as the majority of the squad will have a full pre-season behind them when we reach the first league game.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
Sorry I needed to document my excitement...

Head Coach: Unai Emery

GK: Cech, New signing, Macey

RB: Bellerin, (AMN, Chambers)
CB: New Signing x 2, Chambers, Mavropanos and Holding (with one going on loan when Kos is back in 2019)
LB: Monreal, Kolasinac

CM: Xhaka, Ramsey, Elneny, New Signing x 1, AMN, Willock
AM/Wingers: Mkhi, Özil, Welbz, Iwobi, Nelson (AMN)

ST: Auba, Laca, King Edward of Nketiah

OUT:
Martinez
Ospina
Jenkinson
Mustafi
Per (retiring)
Bramall
Jack (free)
Santi (free)
Joel Campbell
Asano
Akpom
Perez
Potential loans (Iwobi or Nelson, a CB if numbers allow, Willock)

In:
1. CB x 2
2. CM x 1 (Could see a young Sven gem here as an extra though)
3. GK
4. Winger
5. Back up RB

(order of importance)

Mighty exciting

Aevi

Hale End FC
First-team squad going in to the summer...

Goalkeeper
Cech
Ospina
Martinez

Defenders
Bellerin
Mustafi
Koscielny
Chambers
Mavropanos
Holding
Monreal
Kolasinac

Midfielders
Ramsey
Xhaka
Elneny
Özil
Mkhitaryan
Iwobi
Maitland-Niles
Reine-Adelaide

Forwards
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Welbeck
Perez​

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
First-team squad going in to the summer...

Goalkeeper
Cech
Ospina
Martinez

Defenders
Bellerin
Mustafi
Koscielny
Chambers
Mavropanos
Holding
Monreal
Kolasinac

Midfielders
Ramsey
Xhaka
Elneny
Özil
Mkhitaryan
Iwobi
Maitland-Niles
Reine-Adelaide

Forwards
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Welbeck
Perez​

Imagine having a look at this squad and wanting to sell Lacazette for some virgin winger. Lmao.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Imagine having a look at this squad and wanting to sell Lacazette for some virgin winger. Lmao.
That point seems very counter-intuitive. On the one hand you're saying...

"Look at how **** this squad is"

...and then you're saying...

"Your idea to raise funds to fix said **** squad is silly".

Sounds like a great solution to the problem tbh. To me, it depends on whether Emery intends to use a 2-striker formation or not. If he does, great, let's use our star strikers. If not, no point letting big money rot on the bench.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
That point seems very counter-intuitive. On the one hand you're saying...

"Look at how **** this squad is"

...and then you're saying...

"Your idea to raise funds to fix said **** squad is silly".

Sounds like a great solution to the problem tbh. To me, it depends on whether Emery intends to use a 2-striker formation or not. If he does, great, let's use our star strikers. If not, no point letting big money rot on the bench.

Squad overall could deffo be better but my point was there's very little goals in the team, Laca and Auba aside.

This season at home has been the first time for ages where we've not struggled scoring even when we've had off days. I like that and don't think we should give up on it, there's room for both of them.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Good thing is that most of Arsenal’s players will be well rested and raring to go at the start of next season.

Hopefully Emery gets the preseason preparations right so that guys like Ramsey, PEA, Lacazette, Sead, Hector and our defenders can hit the ground running!

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Apparently, without any more departures we have one spot left for a non home grown player - anyone know if that's true?

Linson

New Manager

New Season

Time to be brutal

Lichsteiner on a free is a big bit of business.

There are free agents out there that can improve us without breaking the bank, such as Max Meyer.
Need to keep Wilshere as well, can't believe people think he isn't going to be a loss.

HBL

Established Member
We need to sell at least one centre back and loan/sell another if we’re looking to bring in Sokratis + another cb. There are quite a few players I’m hoping we sell:

Ospina
Mustafi
Welbeck
Perez
Martinez

Should generate around £40-50m from those players. Would also consider selling Holding, Elneny or Chambers if we got a decent offer. Even though Chambers has a good second half of the season, I think if we get an offer of £20m again we should definitley sell.
Obviously we’ll have to sell Ramsey if he doesn’t sign a new contract but it’s looking like he will.

Then you have the dross like Jenkinson, Bramall & Akpom that should be sold without even thinking about it.

I’d then promote Virginia, Nketiah & Nelson. If we can bring in a further three of four signings to add to the two it looks like we’ve already made I’d be very happy.

Goalkeeper
????
Cech
Virginia

Defenders
Bellerin
Lichtsteiner
Sokratis

????
Mavropanos
Chambers
Koscielny
Monreal
Kolasinac

Midfielders
Xhaka
AMN
????
Ramsey
Özil
Iwobi
Adli
Mkhitaryan
Nelson
????

Forwards
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Nketiah

If we had to decrease the size of the squad by one or two, I think Iwobi and Elneny would be the ones to move on. Could be a loan for Iwobi.

Think we need four more players after signing Sokratis, Lichtsteiner and Adli. A GK, another cb, b2b cm and a winger. I’m not sure if we’ll get all four but I’d like to think that it’s possible.

Gk - Oblak = Dream choice
Alternatives - Pavlenka, Pope, Lafont, Cillesen and Leno.
Cb - De Light = Dream choice
Alternatives - Pavard, Soyoncu, Diallo, Lascelles & Tarkowski.
CM - Torreira = Dream choice
Alternatives - Ndombele, Doucoure, Ndidi & Zakaria.
Winger - Martial = Dream choice
Alternatives - Bailey, Sessegnon, Pavon, Guedes & Dembele (loan) :D

cesare

Don’t judge me - I was really bored.

Was talking to a friend the other day about how I’m having a little trouble identifying with the club these days because so much has changed in the past year. So I decided that I wanted to quantify it and see exactly how much turn over we’ve had - not just in terms of the number of players that have left but the amount of time those players had spent at the club. I also wanted to look at the amount of time the players we still have have spent at the club.

Players that have left in the past year (the number in brackets is the number of seasons each spent at the club):

Giroud(6)

Sanchez(4)—Cazorla(6)—Walcott(12)

Ox(6)/Wilshere(10)—Coquelin(6)

Gibbs(9)—Mertesacker(7)—Gabriel(3)—Debuchy(3)

Szczesny(5)

*************Wenger (22)

Players that have come in over the last season:

Lacazette—Aubamayeng

—Mkhitaryan—( )—

—Torreira—AMN—

—Kolasinac—Sokratis—Mavrapanos—Leichstiener—

—Leno—

**************Emery

Players we have remaining at the club from before last season:

—Welbeck(4)—

Iwobi(3)—Özil(5)

Ramsey(10)—El Neny(3)—Xhaka(2)

Monreal(6)—Kos(8)/Mustafi(2)—Chambers(4)\Holding(2)—Bellerin(4)

Cech(3)/Ospina(4)

When you look at the hard numbers, it really is insane how much turnover we’ve had. As someone who grew up with Wenger’s maxim that if you change more than 3-4 players in a squad in one season you’ll destabilize the squad - this is truly insane.

It also goes to show how important it is for us to keep Aaron Ramsey at this club - whether you believe in his footballing abilities or not. The only other players at the club that have spent more than 4 seasons here are Özil, Monreal and Kos. We all know how much Özil divides our fan base and the other two don’t really have long careers ahead of them.

It also shows why so many of us wanted Jack to stay at the club. As someone said the other day, its more the idea of Jack, the player who came through our academy and over whom so many of fantasized and created potential line ups with, it was that idea and that connection with the club that people loved. I remember when Jack and Ramsey were first coming through and we still had Fabregas in the side, there was nothing I wanted more than to have arsenal lineup with both of them in midfield - they were our future I thought. We all know how many times that actually happened. I remember when Özil signed, I was actually a little upset because I could never really conjure up a functioning midfield with Özil, Wilshere and Ramsey in the same midfield.

Anyway, the conclusion from all of this is that the squad turnover we’ve had is definitely not normal and that it is important that we keep the identity of the club through this transition we’re going through. The amount of long serving players we’ve lost combined with the coaching and administrative staff changes we’ve had, this is most definitely the biggest change Arsenal football club has gone through in a long time even if you discounted Arsène Wenger leaving the club.

I hope to God that all of this is actually by design and Ivan really does have a plan. I hope people will look back years from now and see what a masterstroke all of this was. For now, I’m just going to hold on tight to that hope while I watch my beloved Arsenal evolve.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Looking at who might be in next seasons 25 (18 onwards is home grown players):

1 Leno
2 Cech/Ospina/Martinez
3 Lichsteiner
4 Monreal
5 Kolasinac
6 Xhaka
7 Özil
8 Mkhitaryan
9 Lacazette
10 Aubameyang
11 Elnenny
16 (Torreira)
17 (Sokratis)
18 Bellerin
19 Ramsey
20 Holding
21 Iwobi
22 Chambers
23 Welbeck
24 Macey

Although reports of them being done, I don't want to jump the gun which is why I've stuck Torreira and Sokratis in brackets.

Four spots for foreign players remaining and the question whether koscielny is included before January (means the 25 still has to be worked this summer so that there's a spot left for him come January or does the club just get ruthless on that front). There's also Mustafi but I'm assuming it will either be him or a new signing taking up one of the four spots.

AMN doesn't need to be registered this season, along with Mav, Nelson and Eddie.

That leaves the likes of Jenkinson, Campbell and Perez on the outs and likely to be moved on.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Looking at who might be in next seasons 25 (18 onwards is home grown players):

1 Leno
2 Cech/Ospina/Martinez
3 Lichsteiner
4 Monreal
5 Kolasinac
6 Xhaka
7 Özil
8 Mkhitaryan
9 Lacazette
10 Aubameyang
11 Elnenny
16 (Torreira)
17 (Sokratis)
18 Bellerin
19 Ramsey
20 Holding
21 Iwobi
22 Chambers
23 Welbeck
24 Macey

Although reports of them being done, I don't want to jump the gun which is why I've stuck Torreira and Sokratis in brackets.

Four spots for foreign players remaining and the question whether koscielny is included before January (means the 25 still has to be worked this summer so that there's a spot left for him come January or does the club just get ruthless on that front). There's also Mustafi but I'm assuming it will either be him or a new signing taking up one of the four spots.

AMN doesn't need to be registered this season, along with Mav, Nelson and Eddie.

That leaves the likes of Jenkinson, Campbell and Perez on the outs and likely to be moved on.

When you see it like that it does feel like we’re still missing a couple more top quality signings

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Some of these players we're signing have been mediocre if I'm being honest. But it goes to show that whomever is our manager will be held back by the board looking for a deal and players on the cheap. But I guess that's what we got Sven in for.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Some of these players we're signing have been mediocre if I'm being honest. But it goes to show that whomever is our manager will be held back by the board looking for a deal and players on the cheap. But I guess that's what we got Sven in for.
Are the players better than what we currently have?

ThlRama

Player:Saka

Bar Sokratis who I don't like, the rest of our signings / links have been great. We needed a GK that could at least be decent compared to the utter liability that Cech is, and we got Leno. We got an experienced, proven winner as a right back. The midfielders we're linked with (Torreira, Banega and some others, bar Fellaini) are absolute quality.

Top Bottom