• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamefaced

I think what needs to happen from now on is we don't give too many chances to players who aren't cutting the mustard. If it isn't working get shot, otherwise we continue to play players who only look worse and their value plummets probably like Mustafi's and Xhaka's. Get shot quick!

Mohamed7

We're one top quality CB away from having a very solid spine of Laca - Torreira - CB - Leno.

It's paramount we bring in a top class central defender this Summer. We saw how Liverpool benefited with an addition of Van Dyke and it should be a priority for us as well.

I'd focus on wide areas after that, we need wingers and a LB. We need trickery and pace and I'm sure we can find a suitable addition(s), especially if we dip into SA market. Nelson will get his chance as well, I'm sure.

Someone we'll have to fill the Ramsey role in midfield, ESR could be a longterm replacement but he's still miles off atm. If there's any funds left I'd try to add a quality CM but it will all depend on how much we can get from player sales IMO.

If I was Emery (or Sanllehi) I'd try to go big on a CB and a winger rather than spread the funds over multiple transfers. I think we can get away with one more season of Monreal/Kolasinac tbh.
Totally agree with this. We need to be focusing on getting in top quality in the positions we are desperate for it. At the moment it’s a winger and a CB.

There’s no point in dreaming up fantasy scenarios about bringing in up to 7 youngsters who will be an instant it. That kind of turn over never helps a team. Now imagine if they’re all 19...

Liverpool have also been helped by a less aggressive press. They still press, of course, but not as often. And they are compact. They are a lot more organised without the ball. Adding personnel has helped, but it’s not the only reason they haven’t suffered as many counter attacks.

I still maintain that the players still don’t look like they know what they should be doing, and I don’t believe that all 10 outfield players aren’t following instructions. Something that needs to be installed is not just a tactical understanding, but a tactical responsibility.

Absolutely quality posts. Pretty much what I was going to say.

We have to think this rebuilding as a three-year project. So, let's not try to solve everything in this upcoming transfer window. Next season target is to finish top four comfortably.

How do we do that? We must address our obvious weaknesses from this season. For me, it is the defense that let us down hugely. We have scored the 3rd most in the league, only after City and Liverpool; therefore, going forward is not an issue with the quality we have.

On the other hand, we shipped-in 50 goals in the league with only 8 clean sheets thus far. This is beyond unacceptable. This is an area which Emery must improve. This can be done two ways:

The first is signing the right players to replace the dross we have: Mustafi, Monreal, Licht, Jenks, M Elneny, Chambers. Thankfully, three of them will have their contracts expire in the summer, although we will miss out a few $$$ on their sales but at least we won't be stuck with them if no buyers come for them. We must replace them with much better players. We have, as reported, 70m-100m to spend before any sales are made; we cannot afford to sacrifice LACA to raise funds. He is a quality forward whose goals have helped us thus far. We can raise funds through the sales of aforementioned ****e we have.

A strong, world class CB is a must along with a LB. For me, these are the two fundamental positions to sign key players for in the upcoming season. If we can add a winger and central midfielder who are first team material, then we really are set for the season.

The second is to work on our tactics defensively. What we are doing is truly confusing: We are playing aggressive high line without the right defensive organization from defense-to-attack line. One simple through pass allows the opposition to have a clear one-on-one chance with the goalkeeper, and this happens far too often. Our high press has not been maintained throughout the season despite still playing with high defensive line. Personally, I believe this is why we have such high number of goals conceded from open play, 30, where Liverpool has only 14 and City 10. In addition, we have conceded 7 penalties. I am sure around 70% of these penalties are caused by Xhaka and Mustafi (on top of my head: Xhaka against C Palace (away) and Brighton (home), Mustafi vs Sp**s (away)... I am sure there are at least two more by them).

If you look at other types of goals we concede, we are not that off by the two Premier league pace setters. Keep in mind, the 30 we conceded from open play do not include counter attacking goals - Surprisingly, that's low, just 2 for the whole season so far. Coming back to my point, by looking at the type of goals we concede, we can know where the weaknesses are and improve upon.

Overall, this coming summer and season will give us a huge indication of the ability of Unai Emery. Personally, I will be looking at what he does in the transfer window (does he focus on defense, attack, or balanced approach in terms of buying, is he ruthless to offload poorly performed players) and tactic wise in defense. This will show me if he is an improvement on Arsène or not. Arsène could not buy the right players in the defense and was tactically inept solving the woes in defense.

ChefMan21

I think what needs to happen from now on is we don't give too many chances to players who aren't cutting the mustard. If it isn't working get shot, otherwise we continue to play players who only look worse and their value plummets probably like Mustafi's and Xhaka's. Get shot quick!
What defines too many chances?

We could well go from a club who has some semblance of loyalty - it's reciprocal between player and team - to a side who has no stability whatsoever. Why would any player want to join a side like that?

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Ready for massive changes and fresh blood.

Bin:
Özil, Iwobi, Mustafi, Mhiktarayan, Monreal, and Xhaka.

Buy: 1 World Class Centerback and a left fullback that can also play Center back.
Also need a central midfielder that can replace Ramsey.

Keep: Holding. This dude is promising.
Convert Kolasniac to full time left winger...he is friggin awesome when all he needs to do is attack.

Academy: Bring through Smith Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah, and Saka....maybe others too. Trust in the youth like Tottenham did.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Don't want a lb that can play cb. Just want a really good lb. City and Liverpool have proved how important it is to have very good fullbacks.

progman07

Established Member

Bin:

Buy: 1 World Class Centerback and a left fullback that can also play Center back.

Convert Kolasniac to full time left winger...he is friggin awesome when all he needs to do is attack.

Academy: Bring through Smith Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah, and Saka....maybe others too. Trust in the youth like Tottenham did.
Let me summarise this little wish list of yours:

OUT (9 first team players): Ramsey, Özil, Welbeck, Mkhitarian, Cech, Iwobi, Monreal, Xhaka, Mustafi

IN (3 first team players): CB, LB, CM

And you would play Kolasinac the fat and slow cross merchant at our wings, where Marc Overmars, Robert Pires and Tomas Rosicky used to play.

We are also going to rely on unproven youngsters who will get the Guendouzi treatment from the fans after a few inconsistent games.

We are doomed, aren't we.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

OUT (9 first team players): Ramsey, Özil, Welbeck, Mkhitarian, Cech, Iwobi, Monreal, Xhaka, Mustafi

And you would play Kolasinac the fat and slow cross merchant at our wings, where Marc Overmars, Robert Pires and Tomas Rosicky used to play.

We are also going to rely on unproven youngsters who will get the Guendouzi treatment from the fans after a few inconsistent games.

"Doomed" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the sad state we find ourselves in.

A squad riven with conference level players, gross mismanagement at board level, an apathetic fanbase & an absentee owner who's about as ambitious as a sunbathing crocodile.

We're not doomed, we're finished as a club.

In case anyone's keeping track, we were finished as a "Big" club a long time ago.

Manberg

Predator
Seeing the results of **** teams like Sp**s who didn't buy a single player in the summer or Liverpool who buy average players from the premier league (e.g. Wijnaldum from a relegated Newcastle) make me question our whole philosophy. We keep going on about the need to spend big money on top quality players but maybe football is no longer about that. We need a new approach.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!

We need to build buddy and stop overpaying for so called World Class players.

Nobody on our team except for maybe PEA and Lacazette should be making over 100K.

The rest should be 40-60K.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Seeing the results of **** teams like Sp**s who didn't buy a single player in the summer or Liverpool who buy average players from the premier league (e.g. Wijnaldum from a relegated Newcastle) make me question our whole philosophy. We keep going on about the need to spend big money on top quality players but maybe football is no longer about that. We need a new approach.

Gazidis spent years buying **** players and ****ing around with StatDNA and Arsène gave too many minutes to sub par injury prone players that would leave anyway. Terrible squad management by those two.

progman07

Established Member
We need to build buddy and stop overpaying for so called World Class players.

Nobody on our team except for maybe PEA and Lacazette should be making over 100K.

The rest should be 40-60K.
Replacing 9 players with 3, and paying 40-60k to the players in 2019. Out of curiosity I checked, and we would get Phil Jagielka for the salary. I don't even know why I'm answering to this post, it's so far from reality.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
First and foremost we need players with good attitudes, Not skill.

I would rather have a team of James Milners than a team of Ozils. Özil has more skill and talent in his left foot than Milner has in his whole body. But Milner is up for the fight and will give his all every match no matter what the circumstances.

We need to start looking at hard working, modest, honest players who have the right attitude and mentality.

You look at Liverpool and see the professionalism of Van Dijk. Milner. Henderson. You see the young players coming in desperate to prove something. Looking beside them and seeing a leader and thinking.....I want to impress him.

City are full of leaders. Players who take responsibility.

Sp**s the same.

Arsenal and United look like 2 clubs lost of identity, direction and leadership. For sure if Klopp/Poch or Pep told their players to eat their own s#$% for breakfast and it would help their performance they would eat if for lunch and dinner too.

Our club is so void of identity and leadership we are only going to go one way which is down.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli

I would rather have a team of James Milners than a team of Ozils. Özil has more skill and talent in his left foot than Milner has in his whole body. But Milner is up for the fight and will give his all every match no matter what the circumstances.

We need to start looking at hard working, modest, honest players who have the right attitude and mentality.

You look at Liverpool and see the professionalism of Van Dijk. Milner. Henderson. You see the young players coming in desperate to prove something. Looking beside them and seeing a leader and thinking.....I want to impress him.

City are full of leaders. Players who take responsibility.

Sp**s the same.

Arsenal and United look like 2 clubs lost of identity, direction and leadership. For sure if Klopp/Poch or Pep told their players to eat their own s#$% for breakfast and it would help their performance they would eat if for lunch and dinner too.

Our club is so void of identity and leadership we are only going to go one way which is down.

Top post! Couldn't agree more and honestly I think Emery is a coach who will feel the same so let's give him this summer to get players who will fight!

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm not sure where to post this but Keown is really hammering home the importance of getting former players back at the club. It's good news with Freddie and Per here and rumours of a return by Edu and Pires. These players will give the club some identity which may help determine the type of player we get.
Milner and Wijnaldum are getting some praise now but I've always thought both were the solid citizens every team needs. They are what Grimaldi was back in the day. You can rely on them. We need more characters like that.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I'm not sure where to post this but Keown is really hammering home the importance of getting former players back at the club. It's good news with Freddie and Per here and rumours of a return by Edu and Pires. These players will give the club some identity which may help determine the type of player we get.
Milner and Wijnaldum are getting some praise now but I've always thought both were the solid citizens every team needs. They are what Grimaldi was back in the day. You can rely on them. We need more characters like that.

Absolutely, everyone pines for the flashy flavour of the month players but you also need those dependable if unspectacular players who'll simply do their job and will give everything. Just doing the simple things right and can help when the team is up against it.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka

Bin:

Not sure why I'm biting. We wouldn't get top half. This is a ridiculous scenario just further thinning us out. Some of it feels like it's based on a model from the early days of the Premier league.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

I shudder at the thought. This is Arsenal, not Stoke.

Of course effort is the starting point, but the day Arsenal is no longer about skill/technique is the day I lose interest.

I would rather see a team play beautiful football and often go down heroically, but sometimes take home a prize, than to support a 'Mourinho' team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom