• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChefMan21

I don't think booting our current crop of youngsters to the kerb is the way to go. For a few reasons:
  1. They are young and need time to reach their potential. It may not be on your time schedule but let's get real here - we're not Man City, Real et al who can just buy the ready made product year in year out and take financial losses against failures with barely a whimper. We don't have the finances to do that. Give them time - manage it smartly by loaning them out - to reach their potential. If they've plateaued for 18 months or so despite all efforts, sell them.
  2. They've played together - a lot. That to me says we've got our hands on a group of mates who'll fight for each other and fight for the club...
  3. ...which also means we're building a club culture. Club culture is important, as it speaks to who we are in comparison to other teams. Like the fact I'm not sure we want to be seen by youth prospects as an impatient club. There's a competitive and financial advantage in creating a good culture.
  4. They add to squad depth, even if it's not in the first XI.
  5. They also help with our homegrown quota. English players are overpriced, somewhat, which has a carry over effect on the rest of our transfer dealings.
Still this. Especially after tonight.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Fvck it...revolution time.

Only way forward ia with world class talent which we have.

Leta do it the Ajax way. I rather be mitable with 18-20 year olda than 5th and Europa.

Time to unleash, Nelson, Smith Rowe, Saka, Nketiah, and Willock. I see you Amaechi.

Start from scratch and dump 90% of that team that played.

stiiphunn

Established Member
That team, that bench, that squad... It’s embarassing.

I don’t even know where to start. It’s so bad.

ChefMan21

Fvck it...revolution time.

Only way forward ia with world class talent which we have.

Leta do it the Ajax way. I rather be mitable with 18-20 year olda than 5th and Europa.

Time to unleash, Nelson, Smith Rowe, Saka, Nketiah, and Willock. I see you Amaechi.

Start from scratch and dump 90% of that team that played.
This actually makes me feel good. Just having a bunch of guys around who'll grow together not just as a team, but as adults and individuals throughout their career, and as a group of people who have a deep-seated love of the club. Absolutely you can bring in top players to supplement them and pull them further along.

Imagine what a team we'd be if the same amount of feeling that fans of this forum had was out on the field. Better still, imagine what a team it would be if us forumites had been mates for several years. And better again, imagine if that team was filled with people who had great skill at playing football.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The squad needs changing. Simple as.

What we saw in the final tonight was a perfect picture of exactly what we have to work with when it comes to most of the squad we use.

The first thing is how one-paced it is. Did you notice how when Chelsea upped the intensity, all of a sudden we were all over the place and couldn't match the tempo of the game? Xhaka in particular - when the game was slow in the 1st half, he looked pretty good, then became a complete afterthought once the game stepped up a gear. Emery has done as well as he can to give the team more intensity but it's difficult to do that with such a lack of athleticism to work with. How many of these players have a decent turn of pace out there? Aubameyang? Maitland-Niles to a slightly lesser extent? That's about it, at least of the players we had out there. The lack of agility, lack of power etc. The only thing that can truly mitigate that is having a much more technically capable team, which leads to the second problem.

This is the least technically capable Arsenal team I can remember. I can't recall the last time we didn't play a game where there were all sorts of unnecessarily loose touches - even Maitland-Niles, who had a decent game outside of the flurry of goals; and one of the stronger technical players out of Hale End, was leaden footed in some of his touches and has been intermittently throughout the season - and that's just sloppiness. Most of this team aren't comfy on the ball in tight corners, when dribbling and even gathering the ball caused problems today,

So what's the remedy? No idea personally.

I want us to sell quite a few of these guys. Only a few players should be considered untouchable. We will need to sacrifice a few over the course of the next 2 seasons in order to rebuild this squad. It won't be done all in this Summer. What we can do, is hone in on problem positions we cannot solve in-house. I'm looking squarely at LB/LWB, CB and CM. Kolasinac would be one of the first names on the chopping block. He's not terrible, and I know people like him, but I just think he's not the guy to help us move forward, especially with what Emery wants from a full-back.

I'd also build our attack more around speed, dribbling and movement. We need 1v1, and if we're not gonna bring it in from outside, the least we can do is blood some of the youngsters to do it. Now is the time - we've let it get to the point where we're having a 3rd straight Europa League season and I do NOT want to see any first team players playing in the Group Stages. Give it to the youngsters, let them audition and give us an insight into where they are. Our attack right now is stodgy and slow, reliant on two excellent marksmen who don't really have the kind of all-round game that lends itself to creating their own chances from scratch in really tight games like these. Laca can on occasion but not as often as I'd like.

If we aren't bringing in any decent 1v1 players (No, Ryan Fraser is good but he's not exactly great at 1v1), I want 2 of Nelson, Saka or Amaechi in and around the squad more often. I want some more technique and athleticism in midfield. Bring in someone like Sangare or Diawara to give us some dynamism. Call up Willock more often for games and move AMN back into midfield. We need a quicker, more technical LB. Some more energy and character in the offensive midfield positions. We have some of the tools in the academy, we can still recruit smart in the transfer market even with the small funds, we just need to start doing it now. There's no time like now.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Keep

Starters
Leno
Bellerin
Sokratis
Kola
Xhaka
Laca
Auba

Squad
Holding
AMN
Iwobi
Guendouzi
Torreira
Kos

Youngsters
Esr
Reiss
Nketiah
Willock

I want to see us playing 433,

We need starters on following places

LCB
DM
ACM B2B
ARM

BACKUPS
CF
Gk

nick gould

The thing about this defeat is that the starting 11 were all to blame. Every single one of them. Not good enough, not cohesive, not clinical enough with the few chances that came away, not ruthless from setpieces, not solid enough defensively. Shambles. The referee did not let us down so we can't blame it on him. Mustafi wasn't there to shoulder the blame.

nick gould

Keep

Starters
Leno
Bellerin
Sokratis
Kola
Xhaka
Laca
Auba

Squad
Holding
AMN
Iwobi
Guendouzi
Torreira
Kos

Youngsters
Esr
Reiss
Nketiah
Willock

I want to see us playing 433,

We need starters on following places

LCB
DM
ACM B2B
ARM

BACKUPS
CF
Gk
Are you sure about Kola as a starter. He is pure poverty. No stamina to play in that position. Gets into good positions and ****s himself. Not scored a single goal all season despite starting so many games in such an advanced position.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Honestly only laca auba bellerin holding and signings from last season should stay everyone can f**k off.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Are you sure about Kola as a starter. He is pure poverty. No stamina to play in that position. Gets into good positions and ****s himself. Not scored a single goal all season despite starting so many games in such an advanced position.
He wants a squad full of bodybuilders. Kola is big, so he stays by default.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
You're just picking your favorites, Yousif.

Those you mention don't deserve to be here any more than any other of our players.
I chose them based in this year performance Leno Guendouzi Torreira all showed good performance holding bellerin were good before getting injured and laca auba our best players

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
We need to sell loads of players just as much as we need to buy. However, stockpiled too many crap players so it'll be hard to move them all on and we don't have the money to buy the quality of player we need. It's over for us.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I think, as some have said, that we've suffered from slowly losing technical players in our team. The few who are left are incapable of producing consistently.

I don't think Emery is the guy to handle a switch back to a more technical side either, he's shown himself to prefer a more conservative approach. I don't like the direction we're heading in.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Only way I'm excited about next season is if we sell the players who we all need to go, take the losses and replace. Any position we can't afford we promote and use youth players.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I think, as some have said, that we've suffered from slowly losing technical players in our team. The few who are left are incapable of producing consistently.

I don't think Emery is the guy to handle a switch back to a more technical side either, he's shown himself to prefer a more conservative approach. I don't like the direction we're heading in.
This one! Emery is the guy who will scrap some results against the odds like winning the Europa league with Sevilla.
What we needed is someone who would rebuild the club as we knew exactly where we are when Wenger left, but we pushed for the results instead of rebuilding.
I was saying all season, if Emery doesn't deliver results he needs to develop players. He didn't do that, he doesn't understand how to do it and he will never be the right manager for that role.

Tony's nose

This one! Emery is the guy who will scrap some results against the odds like winning the Europa league with Sevilla.
What we needed is someone who would rebuild the club as we knew exactly where we are when Wenger left, but we pushed for the results instead of rebuilding.
I was saying all season, if Emery doesn't deliver results he needs to develop players. He didn't do that, he doesn't understand how to do it and he will never be the right manager for that role.

The first player that this club developes of note will either move on or be sold.

Arsenal as a club are in a rut and i cant see anything better next season , we were a bigger club than Chelski but i doubt you can say that now. God forbid if spuds win on Saturday

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The first player that this club developes of note will either move on or be sold.

Arsenal as a club are in a rut and i cant see anything better next season , we were a bigger club than Chelski but i doubt you can say that now. God forbid if spuds win on Saturday
Are you suggesting that we shouldn't develop players because they could potentially leave? Jadon Sancho will leave Dortmund and they are happy for it, it could bring them 80m and he is still better player now than most of experienced players.

Tony's nose

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't develop players because they could potentially leave? Jadon Sancho will leave Dortmund and they are happy for it, it could bring them 80m and he is still better player now than most of experienced players.

No never said or suggested that but i believe thats the course this club will take ,we have put ourselves in this position and it suites the club fine to be here .
I dont believe any spin whatsoever coming from the club about wanting to be the best win leagues blah blah blah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom