• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Can't agree with that. We've made some wrong decision in the past of not giving chances to some of our young players, most notable were definitely Diarra, Vela and Gnabry who all proved later that they were valuable players we could've use but never gave them a real chance. There are much better examples outside of Arsenal like De Bruyne and Lukaku for example at Chelsea. These mistakes can prove to be very costly and we are currently producing some of the best talents in England and I don't think we should just start spending spree without giving them a proper chance.
Bringing in Dembele is a no brainer, but I'm all against filling our squad again with Elnenys and Welbecks at the expense of our youth players.
You are right that there is enough games, but at this moment homegrown player like Nketiah has only one start or so with a couple of minutes as a substitute.

Of those 3 maybe Gnabry would get into the XI at our club or any of the other clubs in the top 6. If those are the best 3 examples you've got then you've made my point for me. You'll also notice that I didn't say I wanted more Elnenys or Welbecks. I want a top class winger like a Dembele or a Hazard sort. KDB and Lukaku were much higher profile talents when Chelsea bought them than anyone at our club so they're not the best examples either.

Do you see anyone banging down our door for any of our academy players? This assumption that they're some of the best talents when they've shown nothing at all is strange. Would it be great if they were? Yes. Should a club with real ambition handicap itself by not taking the opportunity to strengthen while they wait and hope these players pan out? No, I'm sorry I can't get behind that. We aren't some little neighborhood club sponsored by the local chippy. We should be aspiring to compete for every trophy we can and that means being ruthless. Thankfully I think Sven and Raul understand this.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Of those 3 maybe Gnabry would get into the XI at our club or any of the other clubs in the top 6.
Yes, Diarra was good enough to play for Real Madrid but according to some he wasn't good enough to play for Arsenal or Tottenham...
es. Should a club with real ambition handicap itself by not taking the opportunity to strengthen while they wait and hope these players pan out?
Arsenal is not a club with real ambition, our ambition is to somehow secure top 4 and get additional money from CL. Since we are not able to buy the players you want (Dembele), I would rather go back with our plan from 12 years ago when we were very popular destination for young unproven talents, the same plan that is successfully used by Dortmund. We already see results of that with Torreira and Douzi and I would like to see the mix of those and our academy products. We should target players like Dembele or Sancho when they are at the start of their careers, not when they cost 100mil, and you can't tell now that one of our youth products like Saka, ESR or Nellson will not be worth just as much in a few years.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Yes, Diarra was good enough to play for Real Madrid but according to some he wasn't good enough to play for Arsenal or Tottenham...

Arsenal is not a club with real ambition, our ambition is to somehow secure top 4 and get additional money from CL. Since we are not able to buy the players you want (Dembele), I would rather go back with our plan from 12 years ago when we were very popular destination for young unproven talents, the same plan that is successfully used by Dortmund. We already see results of that with Torreira and Douzi and I would like to see the mix of those and our academy products. We should target players like Dembele or Sancho when they are at the start of their careers, not when they cost 100mil, and you can't tell now that one of our youth products like Saka, ESR or Nellson will not be worth just as much in a few years.
Yes he featured for Real Madrid, no disputing that. He's also on his 10th team at the age of 33. Nobody but Madrid for those 4 years seems to want to keep him around. Chelsea didn't think very much of him either. He quite clearly was not a fit here, in large part because of his attitude so you'll have to forgive me for not considering him any great loss. Now as for our ambition, we're going to find out what it is. We may well be able to buy those sorts players with a new club hierarchy and improved endorsements. Dembele is a wish list player for sure but he's certainly not the only more finished product available to help us in the immediate term. Again, if our young players are 100m talents, they're not going to be deterred from showing that by competition. At a time when La Masia was producing the best generation of talent probably in history they were still active in the transfer market and Messi, Iniesta and Xavi all still managed to make it because they were good enough.

So far this season I would say Mikki, Mustafi and Iwobi are at bottom of the survivor list for next summer window.

Not because they are bad players, but they are arguable the worst performers at the moment. They need to start performing to higher standards if they want to be at our great club for longer!

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
So far this season I would say Mikki, Mustafi and Iwobi are at bottom of the survivor list for next summer window.

Not because they are bad players, but they are arguable the worst performers at the moment. They need to start performing to higher standards if they want to be at our great club for longer!
There's no way we would be able to sell Mkhi, but you are right, Iwobi had enough chances over the last 3 years and he just doesn't know how to use his abilities. He did have some good games but none lately which isn't enough. I still think he will make a decent career somewhere.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Leaving all the work for the next summer and giving January a pass would be like me leaving all my studying for the day before my exams. This squad needs a lot of work and we have to get started NOW. Even if that means paying over the odds a little.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

What's funny is that Mustafi hasn't been a particularly bad performer of late, it's just that you know a mistake isn't far round the corner with him, and a rather substantial one too.

Mhki and Iwobi's spots are marked though IMO.

What's funny is that Mustafi hasn't been a particularly bad performer of late, it's just that you know a mistake isn't far round the corner with him, and a rather substantial one too.

Mhki and Iwobi's spots are marked though IMO.

Mustafi is like that hot female you go with home but then at last minute you find out she has a Willie and you just have to live with it for the night because its to cold outside.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Mustafi is like that hot female you go with home but then at last minute you find out she has a Willie and you just have to live with it for the night because its to cold outside.
tenor.gif

BobP

Memri Fan
GK
Leno
Cech
Martinez

CB
Koscielny

Sokratis
Mustafi
Holding
Mavropanos

RB

Bellerin
Lichtsteiner
Jenkinson

LB
Monreal

Kolasinac

CM
Ramsey

Torreira
Xhaka
Guendouzi
Elneny
Maitland-Niles

RW

AM

Özil
Mkhitaryan

LW

Iwobi

CF

Aubameyang
Lacazette
Welbeck

• The club won't renew Cech's contract using existing terms. It's difficult to say how much of a hit Cech is willing to take on his current wage. I'd like to see him kept on but it's safe to say that the club will only keep him on if it suits them. Martinez is probably out. He's seen very little action, he's been linked to Rennes and we've been linked to the likes of Radoslaw Majecki and Freddie Woodman.
  • Koscielny's contract comes to an end at the end of next season, he looks cooked, and he's been linked with a move away.
  • Whether or not Jenkinson leaves will depend on if a club is willing to take him on before his contract comes to an end. If not, he'll be let go at the end of next season. The contracts of both Lichtsteiner and Monreal expire at the end of this season. Have a feeling we'll keep both of them on. Not only do they still have something to give, keeping them on allows us to address other areas of concern.
  • Ramsey is gone. Elneny is a difficult one. On the one hand he seems happy to be a backup, which is never a bad thing. On the other hand, he's seen very little action. Feel the club will only look to move him on if an inexpensive opportunity to upgrade comes along, someone like Andreas Pereira on a free.
  • Welbeck is gone. Nketiah will replace him.
  • The return of Nelson will add to our wide options.
  • Can say with a degree of certainty that the club will look to add a GK, CB, and RW. Think they'll also keep an eye out for FBs, and CMs.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Alex Iwobi: 13 apps - 1 goal + 3 assists
Henrikh Mkhitaryan: 13 apps - 2 goals + 1 assists

26 apps, 3 goals + 4 assists

Therein lies part of the problem. We replace even one of them with a higher output player, our over-reliance on Auba and Laca goes down.

Inaccurate data, but point is valid.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Mhki and Iwobi's spots are marked though IMO.[/QUOTE

Would say it's the polar opposite with Iwobi. He fits what Emery is trying to achieve and seems q great squad option. Mkhi doesn't seem to be hugely fancied though (Particularly for 90 minutes).

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Arsenal's forgotten man, Calum Chambers, has improved during his stint at Fulham, and we could do with another option in defence

TornadoTed

Established Member
Arsenal's forgotten man, Calum Chambers, has improved during his stint at Fulham, and we could do with another option in defence

I thought he was pretty poor today, Wolves midfield completely dominated in the 2nd half particularly. I also thought he was lucky to stay on the pitch, he made a couple of really badly timed tackles.

pikey2000

Alex Iwobi: 13 apps - 1 goal + 3 assists
Henrikh Mkhitaryan: 13 apps - 2 goals + 1 assists

26 apps, 3 goals + 4 assists

Therein lies part of the problem. We replace even one of them with a higher output player, our over-reliance on Auba and Laca goes down.

Makes you wonder why we persist with these players, and on top of that we persist with them at the same time as playing the likes of Auba/Laca out of position.

Not sure why we don't plump for a diamond midfield right now and let Kolasinac and Bellerin provide the width (which they already do) - and maybe field both of our CF's (our best players) in there best position with Özil/Ramsey behind them?

When the full backs push, Xhaka drops to make a back 3, Douzi and Torreira provide the legs in CM, front 3 makes goals, have we seen this at all this season? What am I missing? Why don't managers like the diamond anymore?

Something like;

===============Leno================

Bellerin===Sokratis=======Mustafi===Kolasinac

===============Xhak=================

====Geundouzi===========Torreira========

===============Özil=================

========Lacazette========Auba=========

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Makes you wonder why we persist with these players, and on top of that we persist with them at the same time as playing the likes of Auba/Laca out of position.

Not sure why we don't plump for a diamond midfield right now and let Kolasinac and Bellerin provide the width (which they already do) - and maybe field both of our CF's (our best players) in there best position with Özil/Ramsey behind them?

When the full backs push, Xhaka drops to make a back 3, Douzi and Torreira provide the legs in CM, front 3 makes goals, have we seen this at all this season? What am I missing? Why don't managers like the diamond anymore?

Something like;

===============Leno================

Bellerin===Sokratis=======Mustafi===Kolasinac

===============Xhak=================

====Geundouzi===========Torreira========

===============Özil=================

========Lacazette========Auba=========

That's pretty much how we were playing today in the first half before the substitutions.

Width is vital in the modern game, especially in the PL.

Not quite 18/19 discussion, but we need to blow this thing up. We're too old, too slow, too unbalanced.

Players that are leaving or that need to leave:
Özil, Mkhitaryan, Welbeck, Chambers, Mustafi, Koscielny, Lichsteiner, Ramsey, ElNeny, Monreal, Cech, Kolasinac (?)

Players Needed:
Winger
CB x2
CAM
LB

I think we're going to have to be brave and trust the Hale End kids to be viable squad options. I don't think our pockets are deep enough to invest any resources on squad depth in the immediate future, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom