• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

We are going to struggle to attract what we need. We dont have the spending power of United to make big signings without CL.
Don't have Wenger to help lure players either. Despite everything he was a guy lots of players wanted to work with even in his later years due to his record and reputation. Emery is only going to get that if he proves he can win, so we have a struggle in that regard in the short term.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Don't have Wenger to help lure players either. Despite everything he was a guy lots of players wanted to work with even in his later years due to his record and reputation. Emery is only going to get that if he proves he can win, so we have a struggle in that regard in the short term.
If he still had that pull we would have been getting better players since Sanchez. He was signing mediocre players up until he left.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Keown and Owen are honest but brutal. We lack coaching and quality in defence. We also have so many holes in the squad that unlike Liverpool, we can't afford to buy the best in any position. £70m for example has to be spread around. We're in a never ending cycle of mediocrity that we can no longer sell our way out of because we don't have any truly top class players. We may get a cup but we'll never challenge for a title again if we continue on this path. We need to find 7 Torreira types to have a squad that can mount any sort of title challenge.

Reactions: Jae
The one bit of good news is that we have £22.62 of player salary coming off the books next year according to spotrac. That's Monreal, Cech, Welbeck, Ramsey, and Lichsteiner. That alone should be enough for 1 transfer fee + annual salary of someone young and exciting.

If we're able to move Mustafi, Koscielny, Mkhitaryan, Elneny, and Chambers, that's an additional £22.10 before accounting for transfer fees.

If we're willing to trust the kids to hold down the backup spots (and thus far they've vindicated themselves relatively well compared to some of their more experience peers), we could have an exciting First XI if Sven plays the cards right...

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don't want to be a doom-monger, but his treatment of Özil is not going to win him many fans either.

Emery needs to fix his relationship with Özil otherwise he will really struggle in the longer term.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We'll have to be smart with our budget for example getting players like Sok Torreira and matteo were smart piece of business and it only cost 50M. We are not in position to sell players for 100M and we not in position to buy 50-60M players.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
We have so many weaknesses, unless we pump in over £100m net this summer, I don't see how we can get back into the CL.

Our most creative player is not playing and when he does its not good enough, we need a creative midfielder/attacker as well as a top CB. On top of this Emery needs to settle the team into a formation, currently we are all over the place. I said a while back that I can see Laca being moved on and I still stand by that. I think he's a great player but we need more pace up front/wing so perhaps he's not the best fit. He's also one of the few players we could get decent money for.

ptrcopp

Considering this conversation has been happening in the Pool game thread, I thought I’d try and move it here:
There are very few players still in the pool squad from three years ago, and only one that’s starts (Ferminho), 2 that regularly play (Lovren and Henderson), and Gomez who has developed well. There’s a handful of other players too like Mignolet, Clyne, Lallana, Moreno, who rarely play.

Out of the current squad, who would be in a hypothetical title challenging squad in three years time?

It could be split into Starting XI, Bench, Squad.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Considering this conversation has been happening in the Pool game thread, I thought I’d try and move it here:
There are very few players still in the pool squad from three years ago, and only one that’s starts (Ferminho), 2 that regularly play (Lovren and Henderson), and Gomez who has developed well. There’s a handful of other players too like Mignolet, Clyne, Lallana, Moreno, who rarely play.

Out of the current squad, who would be in a hypothetical title challenging squad in three years time?

Leno
Bellerin holding, vacant, kola
Torreira guendozi xhaka
Iwobi nelson
Laca

Bench
Nketieh
Sok
Amn (nothing wrong with being a jack of all trades)
Mavro
Emile Smith rowe

Last edited:

progman07

Established Member

Starting XI: Leno, Bellerin, Torreira, Aubameyang/Lacazette

Bench-Squad: Lacazette/Aubameyang, Xhaka, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Nelson (?), Chambers (?)

Giroud12

Yesterday hopefully showed the board that we BADLY need new signings. The task is almost impossible for Emery with this squad. If you have to rely on a half fit Kos, Lich and Mustafi every week, you´ll end up dropping points as we´ve seen the last few weeks. Every one of the five goals we let in yesterday was due to defensive errors (and a dive), we lost 2 points at Brighton because of Lich , 2 points a Man U because of Kola and we lost at Southampton because of errors by Kos.

Losing Holding and Bellerin proved devastating. We need to do what Liverpool did and get an absolute WC defender in, plus a back up and two wingers. Without financial backing, Emery has no chance. Wenger, Emery, Klopp, Pep - it doesn´t matter if they don´t get the backing they need from the owner.

teamsoutheast

We'll have to be smart with our budget for example getting players like Sok Torreira and matteo were smart piece of business and it only cost 50M. We are not in position to sell players for 100M and we not in position to buy 50-60M players.

I agree with this. It's too easy to say let's just throw money at the problem. Our defensive cohesion is absolutely shocking and has been for a number of years. We cannot get into the Champions League or win titles with the way we defend as a unit. The likes of Brighton, Palace, Bournemouth, Wolves, all have a better defensive shape and look organised. We just do not look organised without the ball and it has showed all season. If it wasn't for the fact we were scoring loads of goals we'd be in trouble. We need to defend from the front and must win the ball in midfield quicker when not in posession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom