• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
The problem is we have a squad of good squad players and not enough players with star quality. Leno (debatable), Bellerin, Torreria and Aubameyang are amongst the leagues best in their position and you could argue that only Aubameyang is!

We need a top cb, cm and probably a top forward to replace Laca.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
We need a top cb, cm and probably a top forward to replace Laca.
First of all, we need central and creative midfielders the most right now and second of all, Laca isn't the problem. Our **** style of play and lack of creativity is.

Every year it's the same routine "We need a top CB." and then we see decent defenders turn to clowns here.
It all comes down to tactics on that front and not even the best CBs would look good here in the long run because this team is incapable of defending well.
It's been a fact for a decade, yet you guys are still blind and cry out for defenders every season. Smh.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We have such a big headache this summer, I only see our squad quality dropping in relation to our rivals. We need a CB, DM, CM to bolster our spine and build up play. The issue is both our striker may leave for free in 2021, which gives us a big conundrum in a Euros year...

In the scenario that Laca and Auba stay (where we somehow get them both to sign), I'd like us to sign Ake, Grealish and a DM like Soumare. Would cost over £140m and even after outgoings I'm not sure we will pull anything like that off.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I was thinking, if...and only if Arteta isn't trusting Pepe then the much hated 3 at the back might be a decent solution for our squad.

It pretty much puts everyone in their favoured position and enables that all important strike partnership.

--------------------------Leno
---------Sok-------------Luiz----------------Mari
Bellerin------Torreira-------Xhaka------Saka
----------------------------Özil
-----Martinella/Laca---------Auba----------------

Only downside is having three... mediocre defenders and no Pepe, upside is Saka is probably in even a more suited position and we get both strikers in their favoured positions.

goldengod

I was thinking, if...and only if Arteta isn't trusting Pepe then the much hated 3 at the back might be a decent solution for our squad.

It pretty much puts everyone in their favoured position and enables that all important strike partnership.

--------------------------Leno
---------Sok-------------Luiz----------------Mari
Bellerin------Torreira-------Xhaka------Saka
----------------------------Özil
-----Martinella/Laca---------Auba----------------

Only downside is having three... mediocre defenders and no Pepe, upside is Saka is probably in even a more suited position and we get both strikers in their favoured positions.

I find the idea of not playing Pepe too short-termist. He's under a long contract, and getting the best out of him is our best hope of going somewhere in the next year or two. Aubameyang is gone, Laca might be too.

For that reason I'm really against just dropping Pepe. We should be working on developing a system that can get the best out of him. In fact we should be developing a system for the players we know are most likely to still be here next summer. Who cares how the next few months go - we need to think ahead to next year.

GunnerShy

I think we are selling one or both of Auba and Laca
Then it's a new creative midfielder and striker in. Maybe a DM if the right type turns up.

With Holding, Luiz, Sokratis, Mustafi, Saliba, Chamber and Potentially Mari around it won't be an additional CB unless we move a couple out

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I find the idea of not playing Pepe too short-termist. He's under a long contract, and getting the best out of him is our best hope of going somewhere in the next year or two. Aubameyang is gone, Laca might be too.

For that reason I'm really against just dropping Pepe. We should be working on developing a system that can get the best out of him. In fact we should be developing a system for the players we know are most likely to still be here next summer. Who cares how the next few months go - we need to think ahead to next year.

Yep I do agree, perhaps my comment insinuates that I really want/wanted Pepe dropped, but I honestly don't. I just think if we aren't going to use him like today then atleast getting both strikers in with the three at the back would work really well given the personnel.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Every year it's the same routine "We need a top CB." and then we see decent defenders turn to clowns here.
It all comes down to tactics on that front and not even the best CBs would look good here in the long run because this team is incapable of defending well.
It's been a fact for a decade, yet you guys are still blind and cry out for defenders every season. Smh.

You would think after seeing so many defenders sign for us and then promptly turn to s hit people would suspect perhaps it isn't the individuals but the system. For a long while I felt midfield is by far the weakest part of our team. You can build a solid defence with decent/average defenders provided you have a functioning system. You can't build a great midfield or attack with just decent players, you need real quality to make it work. Hence why anyone involved in football always says the hardest thing to do is score a goal.

Arteta so far has shown it is easier to fix the defence with our current players. We look a lot more solid than I can remember. Even with the fact we aren't controlling games for the majority of the game, thus still allowing too much pressure to be exercised on our defence. The priority is a midfielder, probably 2, to start controlling games better which in turn lessens the burden on our defence even more. If that happens I can't really see us having an issue at the back.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Arteta so far has shown it is easier to fix the defence with our current players. We look a lot more solid than I can remember.
Aside from that, I'm not seeing anything different from what Emery did.
In the first couple of games we were pressing more, but now we're back to our usual routine.
This is a recipe for disaster even if we're improving defensively, because we're still inviting pressure and teams will still score against us.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Aside from that, I'm not seeing anything different from what Emery did.
In the first couple of games we were pressing more, but now we're back to our usual routine.
This is a recipe for disaster even if we're improving defensively, because we're still inviting pressure and teams will still score against us.

After defensive organisation the best way to minimise the goals you let in is by pinning down your opponent in their defensive third of the field. Controlling the game and launching wave after wave of attacks. Even if we don't score by ourselves their defenders under relentless pressure are far more likely to make mistakes. Unsurprisingly, just like our defenders when we were allowing 30 shots a game, any defence however good, will most likely buckle if they have to repel too many attacks.

You are right, if we keep inviting so much pressure then it is inevitable we will concede. We really need to fix the issues further up the field. I gave Emery time to see what he could, I will give Arteta plenty of time too. He really needs to show he can get the whole team, not just one part, working efficiently. He has only been here for a very short time though. Way too early for me to make any conclusions.

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I wouldn't think of dropping Pep. He is the future. We now need to build a team around him. I think we should play him in the Özil position. I say he should play 10, but people take a 10 as Zidane floating around the pitch in a world cup game running the show. Özil just wears the number 10 on his back. He is basically playing in the inside right channel as we do not push our full back on.

-------Saka-------------Auba--------------Martinelli
-----------------------------------Laca
-----------------------------------------Özil

-----------Xhaka-------Guendouzi----------------Bellerin

---------------------Luiz----------Mustafi

----------------------------Leno

That is how we lined up vs Burnley. More of a 2-3-5. What the squad lacks is balance, speed, aerial ability, dribbling, power and agility. We need players who can beat a man and travel.

In the above line up, you have Laca dropping off to link play, Özil in the right half space just playing it safe, Saka playing as a left winger, Xhaka holding the left space as he cant drive forward, Bellerin held back to protect the counter and Guendouzi being the primary playmaker.

We have two players doing one job, which means we just aren't efficient enough. For example, if we bought a striker that could head, hold the ball up, play a pass, and score a decent amount of goals, essentially you don't need Lacazette or Auba. That allows you to play Saka as a genuine left winger and play Tierney behind him.

In Arteta's early games he had Nelson on the right over Pepe, as he is technically secure. If you played him there and had Pepe in the Özil role, you would have two players that can dribble and alternate positions. Nelson gives you the work rate Pepe doesn't.

Saka-----------------------????????---------------------Nelson

------------------------------------------------Pepe

If you then ensure your midfield two are dynamic, defensively solid, fast and switched on, you can then solve problems by overloading on either side. One needs to be more offensive than the other, but still agile.

------------------------??????????-----------------

Tierney------------------??????????----------------Bellerin

------------------??????????--------Saliba--------------------

--------------------------------Leno

So in short I would:

Sell Auba, spend the cash on a genuine centre forward that can do all of their jobs.

Sell Xhaka and Torreira, spend the cash on two dynamic midfielders, one more defensive, one more attacking.

Sell Mustafi and buy a left sided centre back.

Sign Mari for depth if he works out, sell Sokratis, turn down the Soares deal and buy a young right back. Saka can always cover left back if needed.

LCB: Gabriel at Lille.
DM: Sangare from Toulouse.
CM: Blas from Nantes
RB: Bogle from Derby

CF is arguably the hardest position to find. Chelsea and United will be looking at strikers. That means we need to find the striker who will become a 25+ goal striker which may mean a 16 goal season striker next year.

Profile must have speed, good back to goal link play, good movement, finishing, and aerial ability.

Dolberg, Schik and Dembele seem the right age. I'd go for Edouard.

That is if Arteta sticks with the 4231. Going to a 433 may be possible with signings.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So, you want us to fade into midtable obscurity in the next 5 years?

This is the usual response when I post a squad analysis, but hate to break it to you. We are not buying ourselves out of this situation. Its going to take smart gambles to get us to where we need to be.

It's easy saying Arsenal need to sell and spend on another 50 million pound winger but that just leaves us short everywhere else. It's all about the coach.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
This is the usual response when I post a squad analysis, but hate to break it to you. We are not buying ourselves out of this situation. Its going to take smart gambles to get us to where we need to be.

It's easy saying Arsenal need to sell and spend on another 50 million pound winger but that just leaves us short everywhere else. It's all about the coach.
We're not getting back into the top four with Saka and Nelson as our wingers and Pepe behind them.

You can risk that, but 10 games later when you find yourself sitting in 8th or 10th and you ask yourself how it happened, you should know it's a rhetorical question.

Everton buys Richarlison without CL money and you want us to start the season with these guys up front in our attempt to get back to our old self? That won't cut the mustard, man. It's a recipe for disaster.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Watching the FA Cup game tonight, it really amazes me how I want players from other teams, ALOT more than I did in the past.

When we had the likes of Patrick Vieira or Cesc Fabregas in the middle, you could have gone to the best teams in the world, offered me the likes of Edgar Davids or Michael Ballack...and I would have been like "Nah mate, you keep 'em, I am happy with my boys".

Now I watch Southampton and think, "wouldn't mind having their midfield start for Arsenal" ...what the **** happened!? :lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Now I watch Southampton and think, "wouldn't mind having their midfield start for Arsenal" ...what the **** happened!? :lol:
You tell us? Only you know why you want players that conceded 9 against Leicester 2 months ago and were fighting to survive in the PL.

Bet you dream about Traore at Wolves too?

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
First of all, we need central and creative midfielders the most right now and second of all, Laca isn't the problem. Our **** style of play and lack of creativity is.

I think the answer lies somewhere in between, but certainly, our problem's root cause is the overall structure of the team and probably a lack of quality in midfield foremost.

Our defenders aren't that great to be honest, but I agree that almost any defender would've looked mediocre within the last 1-2 seasons here due to the general problems we face.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I do wonder if Aubameyang and Lacazette move on do we really need to go big and replace them. Martinelli is already there and with Tierney coming back moving Saka further forward seems logical. Its interesting to see how the squad shapes up as we are stacked in certain areas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom