• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Tierney, Leno and Auba are our only players good enough to win the title.

So that's 8 starting 11 signings away from winning the title.

To be fair, 4-5 years ago,would anyone have forseen Jordan Henderson being captain of Premier League & Champions League winning teams? Or Wijnaldum at Newcastle? Or Robertson at Hull.

I agree we have some that definitely can't get to that level because they are at or past their peaks, but lets see what Arteta does next season before we reach too many conclusions about those under 25

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

No faith in Martinelli or Saka? Also xhaka could quite easily be our henderson type midfielder. Also no faith in Pepe?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No faith in Martinelli or Saka? Also xhaka could quite easily be our henderson type midfielder. Also no faith in Pepe?

Of course Saka and Martinelli have great promise but they wouldn't start for Liverpool. I meant starting XI quality for title winning side

Xhaka couldn't even captain us to top 4

Before we signed Pepe I had just watched the Afcon and I told you guys that Chikwuezee, Sarr or Zaha would be better options. Turns out I was correct. Pepe needs to massively improve his game for him to be worth a mention imo. Too many times he cuts in and kills counter-attacks when the better option would be to beat the opposition on the outside ala Salah and getting more into one on ones. He also needs to replicate Auba's runs on the left. I mean, what's the point of being pacy when you can't use it.

Very soon teams will begin overloading us on their right-defensive-wing since we almost always begin our attacks from there.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Before we signed Pepe I had just watched the Afcon and I told you guys that Chikwuezee, Sarr or Zaha would be better options. Turns out I was correct. Pepe needs to massively improve his game for him to be worth a mention imo. Too many times he cuts in and kills counter-attacks when the better option would be to beat the opposition on the outside ala Salah and getting more into one on ones. He also needs to replicate Auba's runs on the left. I mean, what's the point of being pacy when you can't use it.

Very soon teams will begin overloading us on their right-defensive-wing since we almost always begin our attacks from there.

Hes showed a lot of promise its harsh to write him off after this shambles of a season.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I think the squad is showing its chameleon like abilities at the moment. A few smart additions and we will be contending for prizes in no time.

It still lacks a balance but defensively we are much better organised. It shows in how we hold a line and hold shape.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I think the squad is showing its chameleon like abilities at the moment. A few smart additions and we will be contending for prizes in no time.

It still lacks a balance but defensively we are much better organised. It shows in how we hold a line and hold shape.
Don't get fooled by this, we are a complete mess defensively and we can only cover it up by parking a bus like we did yesterday, but even then we were lucky with some situations where the could've scored.

ChefMan21

I'd start with two genuinely top quality signings this window: CB and a defensive midfielder. Might not win us the title, but it will help with some of those 50/50 games or games we should've won or drew, which can easily get us 20-25 points I would think. Still 15-20 points from Liverpool, but it gets back into the top 4-6 depending on how the season pans out.

My preference is Skriniar and Bentancur respectively, but they really do have to be very high calibre players whoever they are.

Hes showed a lot of promise its harsh to write him off after this shambles of a season.
In no way am I writing him off. Just reckon that the money was not spent wisely and he needs to improve his game massively if he is to survive in this low tolerance league.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Lmfao. What has Tierney done to warrant such praise above the rest of the team? Guy is more stiff than @bingobob's dong when watching him.

Leno is already shown up by Martinez.

Auba has his own faults as well.

Always find it hilarious when people pick a couple of players and put them above the rest of the team, truth is they're all the same level more or less, we have no standouts aside from maybe Auba, who's not even trusted by the manager to play up front due to his limitations.

By your logic we need 11 new signings, not 8.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Tierney just really resonates with the fans, so yeah he’s just rated crazy high without having to really do too much.

I don’t think the squad is too far from 4th place myself our main challenge is moving the dead wood and getting funds. Quite a few of our players are more than capable of holding up at CL level our team just isn’t quite right.

We made 3 chances in total last night for example, it’s just weird.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Tierney just really resonates with the fans, so yeah he’s just rated crazy high without having to really do too much.

I don’t think the squad is too far from 4th place myself our main challenge is moving the dead wood and getting funds. Quite a few of our players are more than capable of holding up at CL level our team just isn’t quite right.

We made 3 chances in total last night for example, it’s just weird.
I think he is a good defender, but piss poor at passing. Not sure what's his role in this team if that's the case

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Lmfao. What has Tierney done to warrant such praise above the rest of the team? Guy is more stiff than @bingobob's dong when watching him.

Leno is already shown up by Martinez.

Auba has his own faults as well.

Always find it hilarious when people pick a couple of players and put them above the rest of the team, truth is they're all the same level more or less, we have no standouts aside from maybe Auba, who's not even trusted by the manager to play up front due to his limitations.

By your logic we need 11 new signings, not 8.

Yeah ok, just my opinion on the players. Martinez if he carries on with this form is wonderful but we have to wait and see.

Not sure what you're on about with my logic stuff

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Don't get fooled by this, we are a complete mess defensively and we can only cover it up by parking a bus like we did yesterday, but even then we were lucky with some situations where the could've scored.
We really arent. Defensively we are solid. Look at the amount of disallowed goals the opposition have had. Even Leicesters goal was a ball hair from being offside. That's due to hard work on our part to organise better.

You can see it with the naked eye from corners were we have no men on the posts to the other week when Bellerin noticeably played everyone onside by failing to push out yet everyone else was up in a line.

Unfortunately parking the bus is deemed easy. if it was teams that get relegated more often than not would be fighting for European places. It's hard work, drilling coaching and having players not switch off - which happened last night with Liverpools goal when Luiz lost his man and Xhaka failed to track Mane to cover.

Go back and rewatch the united game were we played terrific stuff in the first half and then defended brilliantly. I also believe if we didnt go down to 10 we would have beaten Leicester given the improvement in our defence.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'd start with two genuinely top quality signings this window: CB and a defensive midfielder. Might not win us the title, but it will help with some of those 50/50 games or games we should've won or drew, which can easily get us 20-25 points I would think. Still 15-20 points from Liverpool, but it gets back into the top 4-6 depending on how the season pans out.

My preference is Skriniar and Bentancur respectively, but they really do have to be very high calibre players whoever they are.

I think a creative player is just as important, as Arteta said... we need some magic.

I'm pretty sure we'll sign a CB, CDM and creative player this summer.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
We really arent. Defensively we are solid. Look at the amount of disallowed goals the opposition have had. Even Leicesters goal was a ball hair from being offside. That's due to hard work on our part to organise better.

You can see it with the naked eye from corners were we have no men on the posts to the other week when Bellerin noticeably played everyone onside by failing to push out yet everyone else was up in a line.

Unfortunately parking the bus is deemed easy. if it was teams that get relegated more often than not would be fighting for European places. It's hard work, drilling coaching and having players not switch off - which happened last night with Liverpools goal when Luiz lost his man and Xhaka failed to track Mane to cover.

Go back and rewatch the united game were we played terrific stuff in the first half and then defended brilliantly. I also believe if we didnt go down to 10 we would have beaten Leicester given the improvement in our defence.
As I'm saying, we are just masking the problem by overloading our backline with defenders. 3 CB's, 2 defensive minded FB's and even Xhaka often become a part of that backline. All that comes at the expense of our attacking play where Pepe, Auba and Laca will struggle a lot. Our midfield is constantly being overrun because other teams have more players.
As soon as we move to some normal tactics worthy of a top club, our defence would become a massive issue again. There's just not enough quality there and Arteta can't do much about it atm so I can understand his decision to play like we are playing, but saying we would be stable otherwise is wrong for me

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
As I'm saying, we are just masking the problem by overloading our backline with defenders. 3 CB's, 2 defensive minded FB's and even Xhaka often become a part of that backline. All that comes at the expense of our attacking play where Pepe, Auba and Laca will struggle a lot. Our midfield is constantly being overrun because other teams have more players.
As soon as we move to some normal tactics worthy of a top club, our defence would become a massive issue again. There's just not enough quality there and Arteta can't do much about it atm so I can understand his decision to play like we are playing, but saying we would be stable otherwise is wrong for me

Hypothetically if we were to sign a CB, Partey and play 433 like Arteta wants our backline would be -

Leno/Martinez
Cedric/Bellerin
Saliba
New CB
Tierney
Partey

CB's are of course an unknown but they cannot be worse than Mustafi/Kola/Luiz/Holding.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I'd say you're wrong. Weve played a lot of games with a back 4 and genuinely been more solid. We lined up against City with a back 4 and looked competitive until red cards and injuries killed us. Since then weve switched to a back 3.

Our midfield didnt struggle against Leicester or Sp**s with a back 3 it was that our strikers couldnt finish the chances we created.

there are pros and cons to a 4 or a 3 or a 5 but each formation weve used weve looked better defensively for it.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Individual mistakes have led to most of the goals we conceded.

Not much creativity has led to lack of chances up the other end.

Change the CB's, add creativity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom