• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I'm fine with Lacazette, he's been underperforming this season so it follows that his form will improve. But long-term can you really keep both Auba and Laca? Do you sign Laca to a new contract? At some point down the line, in 2 or 3 years, you're gonna want to have a new young long-term striker and you won't be able to raise funds from Auba or Laca to fund it.

So the argument is that now is the time to raise funds from them while they still have some value, even if short-term it's better to keep them.

If Arteta wanted to play Auba as a 9 it would be ideal to sign him up to a new contract and sell Laca. However its blindingly obvious that Arteta doesnt want this. Which makes it a difficult situation because Laca seems to be able to do some of what Arteta wants as a 9. However hes 29 and to tie him to another big contract is a risk. You also lose resale value.

Martinelli injury complicates things too.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We’re not keeping both Lacazette and Aubameyang.

Laca is off is Auba stays.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I'm fine with Lacazette, he's been underperforming this season so it follows that his form will improve. But long-term can you really keep both Auba and Laca? Do you sign Laca to a new contract? At some point down the line, in 2 or 3 years, you're gonna want to have a new young long-term striker and you won't be able to raise funds from Auba or Laca to fund it.

So the argument is that now is the time to raise funds from them while they still have some value, even if short-term it's better to keep them.

I guess it really is dependent on Auba signing. Only two games left, if we also lose today then you can expect a bombardment of news in the couple of weeks after the last game of the season.

After Arteta's words we really need to make EL to have a great window.

@Hunta in your opinion if we make the EL how do you think our window will go?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
If Arteta wanted to play Auba as a 9 it would be ideal to sign him up to a new contract and sell Laca. However its blindingly obvious that Arteta doesnt want this. Which makes it a difficult situation because Laca seems to be able to do some of what Arteta wants as a 9. However hes 29 and to tie him to another big contract is a risk. You also lose resale value.

Martinelli injury complicates things too.

Yeah I just think ideally you'd buy a really good young striker this summer, Odsonne Edouard being the ideal one, so that you're not worrying about the future so much. Like even if both Auba and Laca were playing well next season and the season after, you'd always be slightly worried about the future and how you're gonna replace them.

If you could keep Auba and sign a guy like Edouard, you'd feel like you're sorted for the present but also for the future.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yeah I just think ideally you'd buy a really good young striker this summer, Odsonne Edouard being the ideal one, so that you're not worrying about the future so much. Like even if both Auba and Laca were playing well next season and the season after, you'd always be slightly worried about the future and how you're gonna replace them.

If you could keep Auba and sign a guy like Edouard, you'd feel like you're sorted for the present but also for the future.

Think Edouard sees next season at Celtic and winning the 10th in a row. Another year developing and making history. Doubt he would come to us without some guarantees about playing time.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Think Edouard sees next season at Celtic and winning the 10th in a row. Another year developing and making history. Doubt he would come to us without some guarantees about playing time.

If Auba stays and Laca goes then he's guaranteed as our starting striker pretty much.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

If we sold Lacazette then surely he'd be our first choice no. 9? We wouldn't pay 30-40m for him to not play him.

Also I don't get the 10 in a row thing. Firstly it's a meaningless record, it just sounds good. Secondly he has no emotional attachment to the club. More importantly is his career helped by playing another season in the SPL? He's already the best player in that league. If he stays there another year he'll score a tonne more goals, but does he really move forward as a player.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
If we sold Lacazette then surely he'd be our first choice no. 9? We wouldn't pay 30-40m for him to not play him.

Also I don't get the 10 in a row thing. Firstly it's a meaningless record, it just sounds good. Secondly he has no emotional attachment to the club. More importantly is his career helped by playing another season in the SPL? He's already the best player in that league. If he stays there another year he'll score a tonne more goals, but does he really move forward as a player.

You may think it's a meaningless record but for him it probably means something. Also hes only 22. He may feel one more year developing his trade and continuing the same will not hinder him. It may not improve him but at 22 it's about regular football.

You way we wouldnt pay 35-40m for him and not play him. The idea may be to start him but with the step up in quality and adaption to the league it may not be straightforward and he may find himself on the bench abit. He may hit the ground running and take to the league and club but who knows.

One positive thing we have in our favour is Tierney is here and by the sounds of things he is enjoying the challenge and his football. It could be a major influence if he is maybe between Arsenal and maybe another team in the league.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
You may think it's a meaningless record but for him it probably means something. Also hes only 22. He may feel one more year developing his trade and continuing the same will not hinder him. It may not improve him but at 22 it's about regular football.

You way we wouldnt pay 35-40m for him and not play him. The idea may be to start him but with the step up in quality and adaption to the league it may not be straightforward and he may find himself on the bench abit. He may hit the ground running and take to the league and club but who knows.

One positive thing we have in our favour is Tierney is here and by the sounds of things he is enjoying the challenge and his football. It could be a major influence if he is maybe between Arsenal and maybe another team in the league.

I guess, but if I was a 22 year old Frenchman with an offer to move to London and join Arsenal, I wouldn't be hesitating.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I guess, but if I was a 22 year old Frenchman with an offer to move to London and join Arsenal, I wouldn't be hesitating.

Yeah to be honest Arsenal would be a perfect place for him in regards to us being midtable. While there is some pressure it's not the same as being in a say Man U or City.

It just depends on what he feels. Is now the right time or is next year better. Saying that if we strike now we may avoid competition. Another good year next year at celtic and could get complicated.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Tierney was 25m. He would cost more.

Different times now. He's being touted around £20-25M. Quality full backs started costing premium prices when City splashed 100m on Mendy and Walker. For example we got Auba for around the same price as Mendy, Walker and AWB.

Edouard won't go for more than £27M. Nor would I want to pay more than that.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Different times now. He's being touted around £20-25M. Quality full backs started costing premium prices when City splashed 100m on Mendy and Walker. For example we got Auba for around the same price as Mendy, Walker and AWB.

Edouard won't go for more than £27M. Nor would I want to pay more than that.

It's not really different times. People only think it is. And CV certainly wont affect Celtic in comparison to the other teams in that league. Walker was the best RB in the league. Young and English. AWB was probably the 2nd/3rd best RB in the league at Palace. Was making tackles for fun and looked a top player. Hes also English. Plus sold to United who always have to pay a premium.

Celtic dont need to sell. They know if not this year next year they will get more than enough.

For them a 30 goal a season striker is worth more than a left back. Also while the 10 in a row may seem meaningless think of the merchandise that Celtic can sell because of that.

If we could get 30m for Laca and manage to get him for 30m I would take it.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Just taking a look into what we could potentially do business wise... I'm not sure if these figures will change due to Covid but -

For winning the FA cup you get a total of £6.6M (that's going from the third round to winning it)

For getting into the Europa league its worth an extra £30M or so according to reports.

The restructuring of our debt should *in theory* allow us to use the ring fenced cash which is £30-37M a year.

So you can see why Arteta doesn't have a clue what's going to be available. We could have next to nothing, we could have £70M even before sales.

In terms of sales Guendouzi is the obvious money maker. Probably looking at getting £30M in for him. Won't bother including Laca or Auba as they'll have to be replaced like for like in terms of cash.

AMN sale could yield another £15-20M. Deadwood will be hard to shift but can imagine we should be able to get £5-15M in deadwood sales along with a lot of wages off the books.

Basically getting Europa league football is probably the difference in getting say an Aouar type signing over Coutinho on loan.

Or even a top level CB over say Sarr on a free.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Celtic fans do not see it that way. They'd have one up on Rangers if they win 10 in a row. Celtic is a massive club, stuck in a tinpot league.

As for Edouard, I don't think that will happen unless we sell Lacazette. Arteta is happy with Auba floating in from the left, and the player seems happy with it too.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Celtic fans do not see it that way. They'd have one up on Rangers if they win 10 in a row. Celtic is a massive club, stuck in a tinpot league.

As for Edouard, I don't think that will happen unless we sell Lacazette. Arteta is happy with Auba floating in from the left, and the player seems happy with it too.

Yeah i'm sure it matters to Celtic fans, but at the end of the day it's just a record that sounds good. It's not materially a particularly impressive achievement. If you win 10 leagues in a row, it means the league isn't very difficult to win.

Top Bottom