• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Look at Liverpool now why they desperate want Thiago because they want something different from being heavily rely on thier TAA and Robertson or Mane. They have zero creativity despite they creating chances

Yes if you compare their main creators to ours... stats are taken from the premier league official website.

This is just one example but Trent vs all of our right backs combined (AMN/Bellerin) Not including Cedric as he hasn't played enough.

Trent
Appearances - 36
Big chances created 17
Assists 12
Goals 3

Bellerin
Appearances - 15
Big chances created - 1
Assists - 0
Goals - 1

Ainsley
Appearances - 19
Big chances created - 1
Assists - 2
Goals - 0

Then you have Robertson, 12 big chances created this season, 10 assists and 2 goals in the league.

Mane, Salah and Firmino all create as many chances as their full backs. Auba and Pepe create a similar amount for us.

So yeah whichever way you do it you need to add creativity, it doesn't matter which position that's from. But we essentially need to double the creativity to start getting anywhere near Liverpool/City etc.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You are attributing these things to purely mental factors. When in fact the attitude of the players has completely changed under Arteta.

Look at our squad. Look at how many times we've had to play in the last month and then look at our fixtures.

From the 17th of June -

City away
Brighton away
Southampton away
Sheff Utd away
Norwich home
Wolves away
Leicester home
Sp**s away
Liverpool home
City Wembley
Villa away

11 games so far in 5 weeks. We've won the exact amount of games we should be winning with the squad we have. And have you noticed the pattern of us winning against teams we don't usually win against in that run of games? Because all we can do is play on the counter as we lack creativity.

@14Henry you're being very reactionary, just try to relax. It was a big ask getting European football with our fixtures remaining and the squad we have. The FA cup final is in our favour considering the opposition. Even if we don't win it its not club defining, trust the process and relax.

I dont think beating Villa maybe 2 0 and watford the same is a big ask. especially when Wolves play Chelsea in a game they are more than likely going to need to win.

It's not a big ask to beat mediocre teams. I dont wont winning 1 big game to make an excuse for not beating teams we should be beating. We were in a position to have 2 chance for EL and now we have 1 because we couldnt beat Aston Villa.

GunnerShy

I dont think beating Villa maybe 2 0 and watford the same is a big ask. especially when Wolves play Chelsea in a game they are more than likely going to need to win.

It's not a big ask to beat mediocre teams. I dont wont winning 1 big game to make an excuse for not beating teams we should be beating. We were in a position to have 2 chance for EL and now we have 1 because we couldnt beat Aston Villa.

Yes, everybody was saying our chances of qualifying through the league were slim, but I thought it offered a better chance than beating Chelsea. Hoping Wolves beat Chelsea now and we can keep Tottenham out of Europe.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Didn't you not want to qualify for the Europa not that long ago, so we could clear out the squad...or am I mixing you up with someone else?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

You are saying it isn't a big ask but we have struggled against smaller teams all season for a reason, we lack creativity. You cannot beat these teams if you don't have the tools to beat them. We are relying on set pieces, pens and magic from Pepe/Auba.

There's some key similarities. However finding someone like Bruno will be near impossible. So we have to buy smart and spread the creativity across 2 or 3 positions.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Didn't you not want to qualify for the Europa not that long ago, so we could clear out the squad...or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Yeah I did until Arteta basically said that we have 3 options to sign players CL, EL or the 3rd option of no Europe means basically we have to sign free players or loans.

So while I thought the added distraction may not have been good if it means being able to sign Partey and Auba on a new contract then I'm for it.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You are saying it isn't a big ask but we have struggled against smaller teams all season for a reason, we lack creativity. You cannot beat these teams if you don't have the tools to beat them. We are relying on set pieces, pens and magic from Pepe/Auba.

There's some key similarities. However finding someone like Bruno will be near impossible. So we have to buy smart and spread the creativity across 2 or 3 positions.

We spent 72m on a player who was meant to provide creativity. Apart from the odd ball whipped into the box hes providing nothing.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We spent 72m on a player who was meant to provide creativity. Apart frñom the odd ball whipped into the box hes providing nothing.

Your outlook on football needs to change. Pepe is a right winger, we have no link to Pepe nobody providing for him... look at it properly.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Your outlook on football needs to change. Pepe is a right winger, we have no link to Pepe nobody providing for him... look at it properly.

My outlook doesnt need to change.

What actually does Pepe do as a right winger.

Does he run at a defender? No.

Does he beat a defender on the outside? No.

Does he run abit at a slow speed and then cut back and pass either inside or backwards. Yes.

I dont rate him and theres a reason why he has been labelled the biggest flop of this season.

He is predictable. And easy to mark out of the game. Show him the outside and hes out of the game. Doesnt do enough defensively either.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
My outlook doesnt need to change.

What actually does Pepe do as a right winger.

Does he run at a defender? No.

Does he beat a defender on the outside? No.

Does he run abit at a slow speed and then cut back and pass either inside or backwards. Yes.

I dont rate him and theres a reason why he has been labelled the biggest flop of this season.

He is predictable. And easy to mark out of the game. Show him the outside and hes out of the game. Doesnt do enough defensively either.

Going by what Pepe offers when you watch him, he does run at defenders, but defenders are now doubling up on him which means he needs a right back willing to make runs beyond him. He's excellent when he works infield, doesn't have a right foot but neither does Salah.

Now lets compare his stats.

Pepe has 8 goals and 9 assists in all comps this season in 2555 minutes. That's a goal or assist every 150 minutes, not bad for your first season in a rubbish team with 3 managerial changes. In comparison you look at Sterling and he has a goal contribution every 96 minutes or so BUT he has KDB, David Silva, Foden, Aguero, Gundogan, Bernardo Silva etc around him.

Lets compare him to Mane and Salah who have less creative talent in midfield around him creating chances but a well balanced set squad. Both have a goal involvement every 115 minutes.

So for his first season, with all things considered Pepe's contribution is very very good.

Now lets look at take ons, because as you say Pepe doesn't do take ons he just cuts back. 4 players in the premier league have completed over 100 take ons this season. Traore, Maximin, Zaha and Buendia. Lets take Zaha as an example. 162 completed take ons in 3190 minutes. Averaging a take on every 20 minutes. Pepe sits on 70 take ons in 1913 minutes. A take on completed every 27 minutes.

I think if you want to be a world class wide forward like Mane, Salah and Sterling you need the correct tools around you. Mane, Salah and Sterling don't have mad take on stats, they make fantastic runs and are regularly found by elite talent elsewhere on the pitch.

Most of Pepe's goals have come from individual magic or brilliance. For me Pepe is the Zaha of our team with way more finesse in the final third and I think he will get even better next season.

Now with everything said and done, if you think 17G/A this season is flop worthy then you need to give yourself a wobble.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Going by what Pepe offers when you watch him, he does run at defenders, but defenders are now doubling up on him which means he needs a right back willing to make runs beyond him. He's excellent when he works infield, doesn't have a right foot but neither does Salah.

Now lets compare his stats.

Pepe has 8 goals and 9 assists in all comps this season in 2555 minutes. That's a goal or assist every 150 minutes, not bad for your first season in a rubbish team with 3 managerial changes. In comparison you look at Sterling and he has a goal contribution every 96 minutes or so BUT he has KDB, David Silva, Foden, Aguero, Gundogan, Bernardo Silva etc around him.

Lets compare him to Mane and Salah who have less creative talent in midfield around him creating chances but a well balanced set squad. Both have a goal involvement every 115 minutes.

So for his first season, with all things considered Pepe's contribution is very very good.

Now lets look at take ons, because as you say Pepe doesn't do take ons he just cuts back. 4 players in the premier league have completed over 100 take ons this season. Traore, Maximin, Zaha and Buendia. Lets take Zaha as an example. 162 completed take ons in 3190 minutes. Averaging a take on every 20 minutes. Pepe sits on 70 take ons in 1913 minutes. A take on completed every 27 minutes.

I think if you want to be a world class wide forward like Mane, Salah and Sterling you need the correct tools around you. Mane, Salah and Sterling don't have mad take on stats, they make fantastic runs and are regularly found by elite talent elsewhere on the pitch.

Most of Pepe's goals have come from individual magic or brilliance. For me Pepe is the Zaha of our team with way more finesse in the final third and I think he will get even better next season.

Now with everything said and done, if you think 17G/A this season is flop worthy then you need to give yourself a wobble.

I base my stats of PL. As that is how I can compare like for like competitions. Not playing a farmers team in the Europa league.

Pepe has scored 5 goals. To put this into perspective other players who have chipped in with 5 or more goals for their clubs are.

Sarr (watford)
Snodgrass (west ham)
Fleck (sheffield u)
Shelvey (newcastle)
Barnes (Leciester)

Those are all teams with worse players behind them. Apart from Barnes who isnt a guaranteed starter.

In terms of assists Pepe has 6 league assists.

Hes in the company of:

Dan James (united bench warmer)
Westwood (burnley)
Azpilcueta (chelsea)
Digne (everton) has more
Buendia (norwich) has more
Barnes (Leciester) has more

Again hes in great company all players who either play in worse teams than us or play as full backs. Digne hits a few set pieces but so does Pepe. Azpi doesnt hit set pieces.

So if you think that Pepes contribution among those players is really good and represent value for 72m then I'm afraid to say it is your very self that needs to give yourself a wobble.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I base my stats of PL. As that is how I can compare like for like competitions. Not playing a farmers team in the Europa league.

Pepe has scored 5 goals. To put this into perspective other players who have chipped in with 5 or more goals for their clubs are.

Sarr (watford)
Snodgrass (west ham)
Fleck (sheffield u)
Shelvey (newcastle)
Barnes (Leciester)

Those are all teams with worse players behind them. Apart from Barnes who isnt a guaranteed starter.

In terms of assists Pepe has 6 league assists.

Hes in the company of:

Dan James (united bench warmer)
Westwood (burnley)
Azpilcueta (chelsea)
Digne (everton) has more
Buendia (norwich) has more
Barnes (Leciester) has more

Again hes in great company all players who either play in worse teams than us or play as full backs. Digne hits a few set pieces but so does Pepe. Azpi doesnt hit set pieces.

So if you think that Pepes contribution among those players is really good and represent value for 72m then I'm afraid to say it is your very self that needs to give yourself a wobble.

Interesting that you name Sarr, who many on here believe to be a top talent akin to Mane. Goal contribution in the league every 242 minutes for him. Pepe is at a goal contribution every 176 minutes.

Can't just go by outright stats, some players have played more or less than others.

Also completely disregarding my other points, you can see that Pepe is a quality player and just needs a stable team with consistency to shine. When he performs even better next season i'll expect a typical U turn from yourself.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Interesting that you name Sarr, who many on here believe to be a top talent akin to Mane. Goal contribution in the league every 242 minutes for him. Pepe is at a goal contribution every 176 minutes.

Can't just go by outright stats, some players have played more or less than others.

Also completely disregarding my other points, you can see that Pepe is a quality player and just needs a stable team with consistency to shine. When he performs even better next season i'll expect a typical U turn from yourself.

I will happy say next season if hes improved and good enough. But as yet he hasnt done anything that Walcott or Iwobi wouldnt have done this season in my opinion.

And I'm going on evidence now. Not something neither me nor you know what will happened. We cant justify our arguments based on next year. Only the now.

And now he hasnt been good enough and his numbers indicate that also.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I will happy say next season if hes improved and good enough. But as yet he hasnt done anything that Walcott or Iwobi wouldnt have done this season in my opinion.

And I'm going on evidence now. Not something neither me nor you know what will happened. We cant justify our arguments based on next year. Only the now.

And now he hasnt been good enough and his numbers indicate that also.

From the eye test alone you can see he clearly offers way more than both Walcott and Iwobi.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
From the eye test alone you can see he clearly offers way more than both Walcott and Iwobi.

For 72m I would want my eyes to be lightening up every time he gets the ball. We spend 22m more than we earned for Iwobi and Walcott and both of those bums would have had similar impacts on matches.

I can think of one match where I went away thinking. Wow. And that was when he banged in 2 free kicks in Europa. The average.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
For 72m I would want my eyes to be lightening up every time he gets the ball. We spend 22m more than we earned for Iwobi and Walcott and both of those bums would have had similar impacts on matches.

I can think of one match where I went away thinking. Wow. And that was when he banged in 2 free kicks in Europa. The average.

Look you're going to have this opinion on him, i'm of the thinking 17 goals and assists from a player who has come into the worst Arsenal team in 30 years under 3 different managers isn't bad at all, and next season should be the season where he is under the radar.

Don't care if he cost 72m, 172m or 2m, prices are irrelevant these days. Unless you buy premier league proven quality or players like Mbappe and such you don't know what you're going to get from abroad.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Look you're going to have this opinion on him, i'm of the thinking 17 goals and assists from a player who has come into the worst Arsenal team in 30 years under 3 different managers isn't bad at all, and next season should be the season where he is under the radar.

Don't care if he cost 72m, 172m or 2m, prices are irrelevant these days. Unless you buy premier league proven quality or players like Mbappe and such you don't know what you're going to get from abroad.

Prices are not irrelevant if you have blown your entire budget on a player who's meant to win you maybe 8-10 points on his own this season and doesnt.

If you signed a keeper for 72m even if you had a semi dodgy defence you would still expect him to save you 5-10 points during the course of a season. After all every match isnt city away. Arsenal should be competitive against every team apart from the top 2. So to say we are the worst team in 30 year is true. But our worst team in 30 years should still be able to compete against even a minimum of 15 other teams in the league. Take away top 4. So it isnt like we are a Norwich getting battered.

If you signed a 72m striker and he got you 8-10 league goals this season even if he is new to the league you would be disappointed.

Auba is in an equally **** team as Pepe and still is hitting double figures in goals every season. So it shows. Theres more output from him. And to be honest he plays as a wide forward drifting in. Not even a fox in the box.

We disagree and that's the nature of football. But 72m does matter. It was the difference in signing maybe 2 more effective players.

If we didnt have Pepe this season would we be worse of? In my honest opinion no.

Could that 72m been spent in better area. I believe so. Pepe basically needs to be throwing in the league only (not against farmers teams in carabao and fa cup) 10-12 goals and similar number assists next season to be considered worthwhile in my opinion.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Prices are not irrelevant if you have blown your entire budget on a player who's meant to win you maybe 8-10 points on his own this season and doesnt.

If you signed a keeper for 72m even if you had a semi dodgy defence you would still expect him to save you 5-10 points during the course of a season. After all every match isnt city away. Arsenal should be competitive against every team apart from the top 2. So to say we are the worst team in 30 year is true. But our worst team in 30 years should still be able to compete against even a minimum of 15 other teams in the league. Take away top 4. So it isnt like we are a Norwich getting battered.

If you signed a 72m striker and he got you 8-10 league goals this season even if he is new to the league you would be disappointed.

Auba is in an equally **** team as Pepe and still is hitting double figures in goals every season. So it shows. Theres more output from him. And to be honest he plays as a wide forward drifting in. Not even a fox in the box.

We disagree and that's the nature of football. But 72m does matter. It was the difference in signing maybe 2 more effective players.

If we didnt have Pepe this season would we be worse of? In my honest opinion no.

Could that 72m been spent in better area. I believe so. Pepe basically needs to be throwing in the league only (not against farmers teams in carabao and fa cup) 10-12 goals and similar number assists next season to be considered worthwhile in my opinion.

If we didn't have Pepe we probably wouldn't be in a FA cup final this season.

Top Bottom