Squad Analysis 2019/20

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Dutch D, Jun 12, 2019.

1. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

Dont drink the koolaid.

I an not hating on Santi, i'm hating on the notion that he is the end all of what is great and what we need.

We were in the same boat back then but people view those days with rose tinted glasses. Doesnt matter if we looked better or not, we didnt win the league or Europe with him neither

What he does in spain has No bearing on what he could do in the PL.

2. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

A somewhat realistic take:

GK

Leno
    Martínez

CB

New Signing
    Sokratis
    Holding
    Chambers

RB

Bellerín
    Maitland-Niles

LB

Tierney
    Monreal

CM

Xhaka
    Torreira
    Guendouzi
    Willock

RW

Pépé
    Mkhitaryan
    Martinelli

AM

Ceballos
    Özil

LW

Iwobi
    Nelson

ST

Aubameyang
    Lacazette
    John-Jules

Out
    Ospina
    Elneny
    Koscielny
    Mustafi
    Jenkinson
    Asano
    Kolašinac
    Bielik
    Smith Rowe [Loan]
    Mavropanos [Loan]
    Nketiah [Loan]

AL the gooner and lufere7 like this.
  3. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

The ages of our players an interesting thing. Of those you have staying only handful are over 28.

4. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

The squad is only going to get younger as well.

Sokratis, Monreal, Mkhitaryan, and Özil will all be gone in the space of two seasons, and that's without even touching on Aubameyang and Lacazette.

5. Dutch D

Dutch D Well-Known Member

Although I'm personally biased towards exciting signings below 23 years old, this might actually mean we would do well to buy in the 26-28 category in the next few windows. Can't have a squad of 20-24 year olds, need some experience as well.

At the start of the window, our squad was fairly old with few valuable assets. Much different outlook now.

Think you're largely right that this will be our squad at the start of the season. Think it's more likely Monreal is sold than Kolasinac though. Hope we manage to sell Mkhitaryan, but zero links, unfortunately.

Think with Kos, Musti, Kola/Monreal and Mkhi out, we'd have largely covered the loss of last season due to high wages. That could mean a positive financial balance despite missing out on CL.

6. YeahBee

Modern training and sports medicine has come a long way, you can buy 30+ today and still excpect alotta years

7. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

Good list, shaping up to be an exciting squad. But I’d keep Kolasinac ahead of Nacho- I love him but his legs are gone.

Mkhitaryan needs selling. He can’t coast through another season, surely. Hard to see where he goes though.

8. Jasard

Jasard Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Has there been any links for Elneny? See Monreal going if we get Tierney but honestly I'd not mind if Kola went, has some value and a big wage.

Tourbillion likes this.
  9. Pat Rice

Pat Rice Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy

Leno
    Martinez
    Macey

Bellerin
    AMN
    Jenkinson (can’t see us selling)

Sokratis
    New CB
    Holding
    Chambers (also cover at RB and DM)
    Medley
    (Saliba loan)
    (Mavropanos loan)

Tierney (?)
    Kolasinac
    Monreal (could see going back to Spain depending on how we look end of August)

Xhaka
    Torreira
    Ceballos (could also see as a 10 against bigger sides when we want a harder worker behind the striker)
    Guendouzi
    Willock

Pepe
    Mhki
    Martinelli

Özil
    Iwobi
    (Smith-Rowe loan)

Aubameyang
    Nelson
    Saka

Lacazette
    Nketiah

4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 depending on how we set up the midfield against different oppositions.

This will be the best squad we’ve had in years.

Divided_Pie likes this.
  10. BobP

BobP Memri Fan

What concerns me about Kolasinac are his wages and his inability to play as a LB in a back 4. Don't get me wrong, Monreal is in decline, but if we can ring one final season out of him as back up to Tierney, we can then let him go on a free and bring in a cheap backup to Tierney.

Mkhitaryan and Özil are probably a chance to leave at the end of the upcoming season, the former more than the latter for obvious reasons.

Elneny was linked to West Ham a little while ago.

Dutch D and Jasard like this.
  11. Reyes no.11

Reyes no.11 Member

Formation: 4-3-3

GK: Leno, Martinez, Macey
    LB: *Tierney, Monreal
    CB: Sokratis, Holding, Mavropanos
    CB: *Rugani, Chambers
    RB: Bellerin, Jenkinson

CM: *Bakayoko, Guendouzi, Smith Rowe
    DM: Torreira, Maitland-Niles
    CM: *Ceballos, Willock

LM: *Zaha, Iwobi
    CF: Aubameyang, Martinelli, Nketiah
    RM: *Pepe, Mkhitaryan

In: Tierney, Rugani, Bakayoko, Ceballos, Zaha, Pepe
    Out: Koscielny, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Elneny, Xhaka, Özil, Lacazette

First XI

------------------------------------Leno

Bellerin--------------Rugani----------------Sokratis--------------Tierney

-----------------------------------Torreira
    --------------------Ceballos-------------------Bakayoko

Pepe-------------------------------------------------------------------Zaha
    --------------------------------Aubameyang

Subs: Martinez, Holding, Maitland-Niles, Guendouzi, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Martinelli

12. GoonerJeeves

GoonerJeeves Up The Terriers

We're not buying Pepe and Zaha.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    SingmeasongSong likes this.
  13. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

14. Ricardinho

Ricardinho La Liga Correspondent

Updated.

AL the gooner and THunter like this.
  15. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

I hope there's a chance we sign Ceballos.

THunter likes this.
  16. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

GK Leno Martines
    RB Bellerin AMN
    CB Sokratis CB Holding Chambers Medley
    LB Tierney Kolasinac
    CM Torreira Guendozi Xhaka Ceballos Willock
    AM Özil Mkhi
    Wingers Pepe Nelson Iwobi Auba Martinelli
    CF Laca Nektiah

i think this will be our squad we still short on wings we'll have to improve it next summer also i think Elneny Kosh Mustafi Monreal will be sold this month.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    THunter likes this.
  17. OSBK

OSBK Well-Known Member

So if we get tierney and a cb and get rid of mustafi and kos then the last 2 summer transfer windows will be the best this club has seen for over a decade.

THunter likes this.
  18. YeahBee

Probably doesnt dare to leave the UK or he Will be extradited ;)

19. Giroud12

Giroud12 Well-Known Member

If we get in a new CB like Umtiti (hopefully someone better) this squad is really starting to look good.

Leno is a top keeper. Tierney is very exciting and Bellerin is one of the best RB´s in the league. Sokratis, Holding and a new CB could just be good enough. Torreira will only get better, same with Guendouzi, and Xhaka is not as bad as some people think. Willock will have his big breakthrough this season.

Going forward we´re absolutely fantastic. Laca and Auba has shown they are world class, Ceballos has the potential to tear it up in this league and we´ve all seen the stuff Pepe can do.

We won´t have great depth, but Iwobi, Miki, Nketiah, Martinelli etc. could do a job.

Granted, were "only" an injury crisis a la last year away from giving significant game time to Mustafi, AMN and possibly even Jenkinson, but if we can avoid major injuries I think this team is the best after Pool and City.

United is a mess at the moment and is lacking quality forwards. Sp**s is very reliant on Son and Kane and it will be interesting to see how VAR is going to affect them. Chelsea without Hazard seems fecked and both Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic need to hit the ground running.

We should have taken third last season despite a massive injury crisis and quite a bit of bad luck (away to Chelsea, Man U, Sp**s). We´re much stronger now, especially if Tierney and a new CB joins.

Can´t wait for the season to start now.

20. samshere

samshere Why so serieuse?

Holding is there in all the training pics. He's fit to start against Newcastle, right?