• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2020/21

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
You think a partner for Partey is an urgent need? Shouldn't we wait and see first, one of Xhaka or Ceballos could turn out to form a great partnership with Partey.

I rate Xhaka as decent and rate Ceballos more highly. Neither is a player to unlock defences though and with our attack being so dysfunctional, we need more to be coming from the middle in terms of goals and assists.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

You think a partner for Partey is an urgent need? Shouldn't we wait and see first, one of Xhaka or Ceballos could turn out to form a great partnership with Partey.

I think it'll become evident, maybe not an urgent need but imagine someone like Rice next to Partey, it'd be a flawless partnership. Xhaka has his flaws and Ceballos-Partey isn't a great partnership, both would effectively look to do the same role. I think we're to play a double-pivot then it's essential we've got the right balance and a partnership which has everything. I think Xhaka-Partey could be a decent partnership but there's always gonna be that question mark with Xhaka and I'm not sure Partey alone is enough to make up for his obvious flaws. I mean maybe it will end up working but I've got my doubts.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The gap between midfield and attack is too big we heavily depending on wingbacks to get chances in we really need to use the midfield too we have Partey Ceballos and Xhaka all can comfortably pass from deep none of them done that yesterday

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
You need to start put question mark on the squad itself, where is the creativity coming from?

Ceballos best assist tally per season is always 2 so his creativity in the final third was never good enough, can he develop and improve? Yes. But it will take time and suitable system for him to develop and improve an aspect that he never had.

None of your full backs are equal to Liverpool full back in their creativity and end product. Laca, aubameyang and Pepe are goal scorers not creative playmaking.

Saka is your best creative player and relying on one teenager alone to create is never gonna work.

And player who is known as assist king isn’t in the squad registration which I find it very silly consider that he has ridiculous high wages. Why throw money away to someone who is not going to be registered?

There are goal scorers but lack of quality in the creativity department.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Our forwards are as big a problem as the midfield now, if not more imo. People talk about the midfield not linking to the attack, but it works both ways. Lacazette is a waste of space, you don't know what you're going to get from Pepe, and Auba is only useful on the left when the team is completely dominant.

Auba-Lacazette-Pepe have 0 chemistry as a trio as well. Back end of last season we started seeing Pepe cut in onto his left for the back post cross to Auba, but so for this season I'm not sure that has happened once.

You get away with Xhaka-Partey-Ceballos if the front 3 can create for themselves.

GoonerJay24

I'm not going to over exaggerate after yesterday's result, obviously it's disappointing but Leicester are a well coached side who recently thrashed City at the Etihad. I do believe Arteta needs to be ruthless to get the balance right between our attacking and defending, which will surely take awhile with this group of players. Additionally, there are new guys still integrating in the team and English football. This is a process!

Moving forwards I want to see more adaptation towards tactics and formations depending on the opponent's we face. Last week against Rapid Wien I felt Mikel set up the team too defensive by playing five defenders plus Elneny in midfield, in such a match a 4231 or 442 would've sufficed. In yesterday's match the team looked in control first half but lacked creativity through the middle. Second half without David Luis making those switching long passes we struggled and were just too slow and ponderous, perhaps due to tiredness.

I would like Arteta to opt for the 4231 formation in more matches with Someone playing behind the striker. Aubamayang and Lacazette have always been better with a 10 behind them i.e. Mkhitharian, Fekir plus this could enable Pepe to perform better.

Leno
Amn Luiz Gabriel Tierney
Xhaka Partey
Pepe Willian Saka
Lacazette

This team isn't the best and isn't not vintage Arsenal but is well-balanced enough to perform well against lower midtable sides at home especially. Now I don't advocate dropping Aubamayang permanently but his form has definitely dipped and without being harsh, sometimes its like playing with 10 men when he's on the field but not scoring; what does he actually do?! Lacazette isn't playing his best football neither but his movement is always better in a 4231 than 433 or 343 system. I feel William will provide more vigour in a central role rather than right-wing and that Xhaka-Partey can form an impressive duo in midfield.
Bellerin has performed badly in all aspects of the game; physically, technically and mentally there hasn't been consistency from him for awhile and feel Niles deserves a chance.

In away matches or when playing against the bigger sides it'll be more appropriate to use a 433 or 343 systems. Overall I just feel Arteta needs to focus on our possession play in central by emphasizing better movements, positional interchanging in the final third and combination plays. Still think despite the defeats we have a great chance to make top four because most other teams are also struggling this season, this there's a real opportunity to have a successful domestic campaign if Mikel can learn quickly to implement the correct balance

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You need to start put question mark on the squad itself, where is the creativity coming from?

Ceballos best assist tally per season is always 2 so his creativity in the final third was never good enough, can he develop and improve? Yes. But it will take time and suitable system for him to develop and improve an aspect that he never had.

None of your full backs are equal to Liverpool full back in their creativity and end product. Laca, aubameyang and Pepe are goal scorers not creative playmaking.

Saka is your best creative player and relying on one teenager alone to create is never gonna work.

And player who is known as assist king isn’t in the squad registration which I find it very silly consider that he has ridiculous high wages. Why throw money away to someone who is not going to be registered?

Fans from the outside can see it but some in here just want to bash the manager.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

This is both worrying and unsurprising given how many of our attacks break down.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You’ve left Willian out tbf and although he’s no peak Özil he’s still better than made out on here.

Was the main creator for a Chelsea side last year that banged in a lot of goals.

I don’t think a creative midfielder is an obstacle to playing good football though and creating chances. Look at your last title for example.

Outside of Rooney who had ten assists and at that point doubled up as a striker and a number 10 you didn’t have anyone who came close to that title.

You built a top team on an elite striker and a solid enough back four and goalkeeper even though your CB pairing was on its last legs and your goalkeeper was still acclimatising.

The difference was you had a midfield which pressed when needed and looked to hurt teams quickly on the break by aggressively countering.

You controlled possession and you threatened. Obviously you had far better players but there’s ways of winning games convincingly with less than creative options.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Our forwards are as big a problem as the midfield now, if not more imo. People talk about the midfield not linking to the attack, but it works both ways. Lacazette is a waste of space, you don't know what you're going to get from Pepe, and Auba is only useful on the left when the team is completely dominant.

Auba-Lacazette-Pepe have 0 chemistry as a trio as well. Back end of last season we started seeing Pepe cut in onto his left for the back post cross to Auba, but so for this season I'm not sure that has happened once.

You get away with Xhaka-Partey-Ceballos if the front 3 can create for themselves.
I’ve been saying this for a while, our front 3 is very overrated. None of them can make the ball stick, receive the ball on the half turn in between the lines or combine. Their deficiencies are glaring in games like last night where teams sit in a deep block.

We tried the Liverpool formula with a flat 3 in midfield and fullbacks pushing high as wingers last night but nothing happened in attack because our attackers are miles away, quality and profile-wise, from Mane, Firmino and Salah. Our attack wasn’t poor because our midfield is worse than Liverpool’s. We need more from the front 3 and the fullbacks if we’re going to continue with this system.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
You’ve left Willian out tbf and although he’s no peak Özil he’s still better than made out on here.

Was the main creator for a Chelsea side last year that banged in a lot of goals.

I don’t think a creative midfielder is an obstacle to playing good football though and creating chances. Look at your last title for example.

Outside of Rooney who had ten assists and at that point doubled up as a striker and a number 10 you didn’t have anyone who came close to that title.

You built a top team on an elite striker and a solid enough back four and goalkeeper even though your CB pairing was on its last legs and your goalkeeper was still acclimatising.

The difference was you had a midfield which pressed when needed and looked to hurt teams quickly on the break by aggressively countering.

You controlled possession and you threatened. Obviously you had far better players but there’s ways of winning games convincingly with less than creative options.

It wasn’t just Rooney 10 assists but also RVP also had 10 assists and Evra had 6 assists.

In 10/11 season we had Nani with 18 assists in the league, Rooney 11 assists, Giggs 7 assists & fletcher 6 assists

In 11/12 season we had Valencia 12 assists, Nani 11 assists, Giggs 8 assists, Young had 7 while Rooney also had 7 assists

Not sure why you mentioned Willian goals when I’m talking about creativity. Beside, Lot of Willian goals came from penalty and free kick. Either way that’s not the point. His highest tally assists was 7 assists in the league. Better than Saka last season but that’s still considered as one of the low number compare to our players in our last title.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It wasn’t just Rooney 10 assists but also RVP also had 10 assists and Evra had 6 assists.

In 10/11 season we had Nani with 18 assists in the league, Rooney 11 assists, Giggs 7 assists & fletcher 6 assists

In 11/12 season we had Valencia 12 assists, Nani 11 assists, Giggs 8 assists, Young had 7 while Rooney also had 7 assists

Not sure why you mentioned Willian goals when I’m talking about creativity. Beside, Lot of Willian goals came from penalty and free kick. Either way that’s not the point. His highest tally assists was 7 assists in the league. Better than Saka last season but that’s still considered as one of the low number compare to our players in our last title.

Site I’m looking at says RvP had 9 assists and Evra 5.

I mentioned Willian because of all Chelsea players last year he created the most goal opportunities from open play passes.

That doesn’t mean goals he scored directly, it’s goals that came from something that he did.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Site I’m looking at says RvP had 9 assists and Evra 5.

https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/MostAssists?comp_id=415

I mentioned Willian because of all Chelsea players last year he created the most goal opportunities from open play passes.

That doesn’t mean goals he scored directly, it’s goals that came from something that he did.

Is that good enough to be the main creativity for team like arsenal? Because it’s not good enough for Chelsea and probably the main reason why Lampard still went buy & spent most of the money on creativity and attackers including attacking left back Chilwell, Havertz, Werner & Ziyech despite of the defensive problem.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/MostAssists?comp_id=415

Is that good enough to be the main creativity for team like arsenal? Because it’s not good enough for Chelsea and probably the main reason why Lampard still went buy & spent most of the money on creativity and attackers including attacking left back Chilwell, Havertz, Werner & Ziyech despite of the defensive problem.

I got mine from FBRef which is powered by Statsbomb so tbf it could just be a differentiation in classing assists.

Obviously he’s not a top solution and I’ve already said he’s not a final ball player but he was still the creative engine of a Chelsea side that banged in a lot of goals last year.

Lampard was apparently keen on keeping him and with Ziyech not fit to get on the field yet they’ve clearly missed him because Pulisic and Havertz can’t do what he can.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Chelsea are struggling creatively as well to be honest.
Werner had one good week but their goals have been Jorginho penalties, wonder goals from their wingbacks smashing it in..
I’d say they probably miss Willian a bit maybe.

We definitely lack a creative force but it’s way over blown I think. I blame our structure and weird playing style more than anything. Our most dangerous players are not getting the ball in the oppositions box.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
I got mine from FBRef which is powered by Statsbomb so tbf it could just be a differentiation in classing assists.

Obviously he’s not a top solution and I’ve already said he’s not a final ball player but he was still the creative engine of a Chelsea side that banged in a lot of goals last year.

Lampard was apparently keen on keeping him and with Ziyech not fit to get on the field yet they’ve clearly missed him because Pulisic and Havertz can’t do what he can.

The argument isn’t about Willian not being creative enough but is he good enough to be Arsenal main creative player. Because even if Chelsea keep him, he won’t be their main creative player as they signed Ziyech. And they also had others who had equal or more assist numbers than Saka.

Let me give you the hindsight of the others team creativity.

Man Utd:
Bruno only joined us in February, that’s about 35/100 percent of our season and within short period of time, he produced 7 assists which equal to Willian best assists tally in full season. Imagine him playing the whole season.

Rashford is a goalscorer not creative player but he produced 7 assists last season which the same number as Willian. Martial is a goalscorer and he had 6.

Pogba missed majority his season in 19/20 due injury, but in 18/19 & 17/18 he had 9 & 10 assists. That’s what Pogba capable of when doesn’t get long term injury.

United just signed VDB & Telles those two had 5 & 8 assists last season. And their highest number per season are 10 & 13 league assists, even though it’s only eredivise & Portuguese league, it’s still something.

City:
They had De Bruyne with 20 assists, combine Saka & Willian last season, both only reached 60% of De Bruyne number. And they still have Silva, Mahrez and etc.

Liverpool, well, I don’t need to give names. You know it.

Sp**s:
Son - 10 assists last season and Kane with his new role this season now drop deep more often already produced 8 assists so far. That’s already more than what Willian had best with 7 assists.

And if you still think Willian being as your main creativity is good enough with Saka and your full backs to back him up and if that’s your standard then I’m not complaining.

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Nobody saying Willian is enough tbh :lol:

We tried to recruit a creative player anyways and for one reason or another it didn’t come off.

I feel like we have enough to get by for now though.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Nobody saying Willian is enough tbh :lol:

We tried to recruit a creative player anyways and for one reason or another it didn’t come off.

I feel like we have enough to get by for now though.

Nobody? I literary the one who said it to make my point about the situation of Arsenal issue in the creativity department.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Nobody? I literary the one who said it to make my point about the situation of Arsenal issue in the creativity department.
Well, you’d be pointing out the obvious, so you’re not wrong.

As for Mesut, you’re more than welcome to him? Please?

Latest posts

Top Bottom