• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2020/21

Whare do you all think Arsenal will end up in the PL next season?
There are several teams that are going forward and establishing higher up but for Arsenal i dont see any hints that we are gona be higher then this year.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
There are several teams that are going forward and establishing higher up but for Arsenal i dont see any hints that we are gona be higher then this year.

Challenging for 5th-8th again. A sign of progress would be 5th with a small gap on 4th. Let's hope we can spring a surprise.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Similar position as this year. The current top 4 are all stronger than us and will heavily invest in 2-3 world class talents or extremely good players.

Leciesters biggest challenge is keeping their current squad and adding 2 or 3 more.

Wolves the same. Keep what they have and add a few more.

Sp**s will be similar to ourselves unless they spend big which they wont.

The harsh reality is today we are paying for the mistakes dating back as far as 10 years ago. And unfortunately it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
20/21 comes a bit too soon for us, and we do need to enter the market. Its not going to be a year of much improvement, perhaps top four assured at best.

Let me take a look further though, that's when we start to see a potentially better picture for the club.

We have to get rid of players who are killing our wage bill, but what's encouraging is that we have a group of youngsters at the club with first team experience already and who can be the platform for our squad in the 2020s.

Youngsters, could be our core squad for the next 8 years;
Saka, Matinelli, Nketiah, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Tierney, Saliba, Willock, ESR, Guendouzi*

Add to these, a group of youngish players who can play for us for a while still, easily the next 5 years;
Pepe, Ceballos, Bellerin, Leno, Martinez, Xhaka.

Long term signings to get us to a strong side.
Center back, defensive midfield, attacking midfield, left winger and striker.

Which leaves us with the gaps we need to fill in the short term getting us back to Champions League qualifying quality.

Sell over the next 2 years
Mustafi, Sokratis, Cedric, Holding/Chambers, Kolasinac, Torreira, Elneny,

Keep and phase out with the youth or new signings
Aubameyang, Özil, Lacazette, Bellerin, Holding/Chambers, Luiz

Short term signings to get us back to CL quality
Center back, Center defensive midfield, attacking midfield, winger.

Conclusion

In the short to medium term, we need;

To ship out the deadwood
About 4 signings to get us back to CL quality
A continued integration of our young players, getting them more exposure to first team quality football as we build our squad for the decade.

Last edited:

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
4th has got to be the target.
My blood boiled when AW said it was a trophy, but OMG, he was soooo right!

EDIT: And as to where I think we'll finish...
Well, it won't be 4th.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
4th has got to be the target.
My blood boiled when AW said it was a trophy, but OMG, he was soooo right!

EDIT: And as to where I think we'll finish...
Well, it won't be 4th.

That was part of the downfall of this club. Aiming for 4th when we were still arguably one of the top 3/4 teams in the league instead of saying ok enough of 4th. What do we need to do to challenge and let's do it.

It's like teams setting out to play for a draw. Even if they think for them it's a success to get a draw if you only ever play for a draw you automatically eliminate winning.

SA Gunner

Again beyond 20/21...

Wishlisty I know, but for example this as our starting XI in 2-3 years.

Eduoard*
Martinelli/Joelson* Auoar* Pepe
Saka Partey*/Ceballos*
Tierney Sarr* Saliba AMN/Bellerin
Leno/Martinez

6 ambitious signings, I think within our reach, and a young quality team IMO.

Last edited:

Again beyond 20/21...

Wishlisty I know, but for example this as our starting XI in 2-3 years.

Eduoard*
Martinelli/Joelson* Auoar* Pepe
Saka Partey*/Ceballos*
Tierney Sarr* Saliba AMN/Bellerin
Leno/Martinez

6 ambitious signings, I think within our reach, and a young quality team IMO.
This team hardly improves our situation imo. Looks like a top 5-6 team

SA Gunner

Y0u think so? Team looks a top four contender at least. Creativity, width, pace, power all over that side I'd say.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Saving grace is the forward line.

Contracts up next summer - Özil, Sokratis, Mustafi, Luiz and Auba. Hopefully Auba signs on.

Mustafi will see out his contract, if he performs next season coming back from injury he'll sign a new deal no doubt.
Sokratis will leave on a free next summer unless we terminate his contract.
Özil will probably be loaned out this summer and leave on a free next summer.
Luiz will be gone by next summer.

Chambers is injured until later this year, he wont be sold. Holding will be sold or used in some sort of deal. Has good value due to low wages etc. Probably around £10M.

Kolasinac has two years left on very high wages, he needs to go but I don't think he will unless it's a loan.

If an offer comes in for Bellerin we should sell and use AMN/Cedric.

Sellable assets are in our midfield and attack. Guendouzi, Torreira, Elneny and Lacazette should all be sold along with Holding.

Guendouzi - £25-30M value.
Torreira - £20M value.
Elneny - £2M maybe.
Lacazette - £25-30M value.
Holding - £10M value.

Even if you're going with the lower end of prices we can make £75-80M from selling players who shouldn't be starting for us.

By the time the season starts I want the squad to realistically look like this -

Leno, Martinez, Macey
Bellerin, AMN, Cedric
Saliba, Chambers, Mustafi
Mari, Luiz, Sokratis
Tierney, Kolasinac
Ceballos (another loan), Xhaka
Partey, Willock
NewSigning, ESR
Pepe, Nelson
Auba, Martinelli, Nketiah
NewSinging, Saka, Joelson

6 "new" signings including Ceballos and Saliba. 4 new starters including Saliba and a young talent in Joelson.

Thats the minimum we need to challenge properly for top 4.

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
That was part of the downfall of this club. Aiming for 4th when we were still arguably one of the top 3/4 teams in the league instead of saying ok enough of 4th. What do we need to do to challenge and let's do it.

It's like teams setting out to play for a draw. Even if they think for them it's a success to get a draw if you only ever play for a draw you automatically eliminate winning.
Absolutely. When AW said it he was 'playing for a draw'
Now, a few years later, his words ring true, but the context has changed.
AW's Project Youth, though laudable, was only fit for a gaming console, not for The Arsenal.
Next Season a challenge for the top places is possible, but there have to be some massive signings, even if we can't balance the books by getting rid of our losers.
Will that happen?
I hope so, but there is no foundation to this hope.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Agreed with this. Replacing Lacazette and Auba with Edouard is ****. That team looks like it severely lacks goals. If we have any chance at top 4 we must keep Auba.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I've never really bought into the Kroenke's lack of investment is the reason we have been poor over the years argument, I think Wenger/Gazidis/Mislintat spent a lot of money poorly (new have the 3rd highest net spend over the last 5 years).

But for me this summer will really show us how much the Kroenke's care about the club and the team. We desperately need 5 top class first 11 players just to compete for the top 4 next season, especially given that it looks as if Chelsea and United are back. If we don't sign those players, the club is doomed imo, I just can't see how we would ever get back to competing.

First 11 CB, CM, AM, FWD is needed at the very least, as well as keeping Auba.

If the Kroenke's do not invest, especially given FFP will be relaxed, then they need to **** off and sell up.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I've never really bought into the Kroenke's lack of investment is the reason we have been poor over the years argument, I think Wenger/Gazidis/Mislintat spent a lot of money poorly (new have the 3rd highest net spend over the last 5 years).

But for me this summer will really show us how much the Kroenke's care about the club and the team. We desperately need 5 top class first 11 players just to compete for the top 4 next season, especially given that it looks as if Chelsea and United are back. If we don't sign those players, the club is doomed imo, I just can't see how we would ever get back to competing.

If the Kroenke's do not invest, especially given FFP will be relaxed, then they need to **** off and sell up.

"Owners of top clubs will temporarily be permitted by Uefa’s financial fair play rules to put more money into their clubs, to cover increased losses caused by football’s shutdown due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Uefa announced a series of “emergency measures” to acknowledge that clubs competing in the Champions League and Europa League, who must comply with FFP “break-even” limits, cannot do so this season because of drastic losses caused by the shutdown.

The principles accept that clubs can make losses greater than the permitted €30m over a rolling three-year period, and that owners can cover those losses. Uefa stressed, however, that it was still committed to encouraging good financial management by clubs, and the measures were aimed only at “neutralising the adverse effects of the pandemic”: lost ticket income while matches are played behind closed doors, and the potentially major loss of some TV, commercial and sponsorship income."

This is why we don't know our budget. CL and EL teams owners can cover losses made. If that's just teams in those competitions then Saturday is even bigger than we thought. If we win the final it could really be a huge turning point for this club in terms of investment from the owner.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Your right you have to look at what the club has done with the money over the years. Wasted it. Signed the easy options everytime.

We wont be signing 5 first team players that are obvious improvements. Why? Because that would cost close to 200m.

Also we offer players nothing. Why would they come here? We cant start offering every new player 200k a week to make up for no CL or titles as that's where problems come unless theres constant money being handed out.

Last season we spent

72m Pepe (not important the structure of payments)
27m Saliba
8m Luiz
7m Martinelli
25m Tierney.

Thatz 137m. In one window. And we went backwards. Not because we didnt spend. But because we spent horribly.

Look at Sp**s. They signed Lo Celso and Ndombele. 2 signings who havent really worked out and what happened. Backwards.

The Kronkes could throw 300m at the club but those making the signings havent been good enough. Wenger picked his players. Emery wasnt allowed to pick the ones he wanted. Let's see what happens with Arteta.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Agreed with this. Replacing Lacazette and Auba with Edouard is ****. That team looks like it severely lacks goals. If we have any chance at top 4 we must keep Auba.

This is part of the problem and why we won't go anywhere. No chance of getting top four without Auba is the same outlook that will see us keep Xhaka in our starting line up and rely on people who self destruct at any moment.

United- playing Greenwood, Martial, Rashford with Ighalo in January. Sold Lukaku. Their 20+ goal striker. Secured top 4

Chelsea - Giroud, Abraham (unproven at Premiership level), Pulisic (injured most of the season), sold Hazard, the best player in the league at the time. They had 1 player that scored over 10 goals this season. Abraham on 15.

Its not about having a world class goal scorer. It's about having a team that can score goals and create chances from multiple areas.

I'd rather build a team where we have a front 3 who can score 15 goals each and provide assists than have a 22 goal season striker playing on the left requiring a formation imbalance and a cf who can barely score 10 goals himself.

Why are we so scared to sell players? Auba is going to decline ffs. He has statistically already shown a decline. Sell him, bring a creative wide forward who can score goals for 30 million. Ffs its doable.

Sell Lacazette and bring in a forward who can create and score and feed of crosses from Tierney, Saka and Pepe.

Sell the plodders in midfield and buy goal scorers who are dynamic.

Sick of keeping players who keep moving us down the table.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
As much as we want new signings, it feels like we should only make some if we can trim a lot of the fat in the squad.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom