• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2020/21

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I know a lot of people will complain about us not getting Aouar but I want to at least explain why it’s not the end of the world from a squad building perspective.
Okay we all know Arteta wants a 4atb, a Partey transfer does this. By process of removing a CB for a CM that already gives us more creativity. I think people get too hung up that you need one player to create all chances. That’s outdated. Teams are creating through different avenues. From fullbacks, wingers, midfielders, strikers dropping deep, even centre backs and goalkeepers can create chances.
Secondly, Arteta has always been a “stability first” kinda guy. It’s interesting that his most costly transfers were Gabriel and Partey. Two defensive signings but most importantly, two signings that address a lack of athleticism and stability. Guys like Xhaka, Mustafi, Luiz, Holding, Cellabos and Elneny are all rated by Arteta but it’s clear as day that all the above players need hand holding. Whether it’s a lack of pace, height, strength or technical ability; they all struggle by themselves. Players like Partey, AMN, Saka, Gabriel, Tierney, Auba, Pepe and Bellerin do not need hand holding. They’re physically, technically and tactically capable (for most of the time)
Thirdly, and finally, us not signing Aouar gives more chance for one of our homegrown talents to stake a claim. ESR, Saka, Willock and Nelson. As long as none of them go out on loan, those players should taking every chance they have to showcase their talent. You never know we could unearth another Saka situation and maybe this could force Arteta to reconsider.
Look I’m upset about not signing Aouar but Partey is the first step to modernising Arsenal. Like Mane was the first for Liverpool, we may look back at this and see where it all began when Arteta became a legend for us.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
We've got two top players and re-signed our captain and best youth player. There's 12 weeks until the January window opens and I do feel that might be the time to try and fire sale the dross and look again at the squad. Partey adds what we've been missing. We just need to find the right formation and be lucky with injuries.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The only problem we got here who we won't register for first half of season? Most of our center backs are fit maybe only Chambers isn't until November. I guess him and Sokratis won't be registered?

Anyway with Partey addition our current squad capable of finishing in CL we improved the defense and the midfield our attack is good but hope Willian pepe Laca step up and score goals.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Missed the second half of deadline day today, I don't understand why we've kept Sokratis? Why would we turn down cancelling his contract and just letting him go? He's not wanted here, he's not gonna get games when we have 10 CBs, so why pay his wages just for the hell of it?

And Saliba not loaned...am I missing something here? Can there still be outgoings?

Last edited:

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Missed the second half of deadline day today, I don't understand why we've kept Sokratis? Why would we turn down cancelling his contract and just letting him go? He's not wanted here, he's not gonna get games when we have 10 CBs, so why pay his wages just for the hell of it?

And Saliba not loaned...am I missing something here? Can there still be outgoings?
Saliba wanted to be move to Saint-Etienne but didn't happen Sokratis psg came with an offer of taking him for free but we rejected kola move collapsed because Leverkusen couldn't make space in thier squad otherwise there were no more news on outgoings.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Leno (Runarsson)

Bellerin (Cedric)
Luiz (Holding, Mari, Saliba)
Gabriel (Chambers, Mustafi, Sokratis)
Tierney (Kolasinac)

Xhaka (Elneny)
Partey (Maitland-Niles, Willock)
Ceballos (ESR, Özil)

Willian (Nelson)
Pepe (Saka, Martinelli)
Aubameyang (Lacazette, Nketiah)

Solid squad with impressive depth. Of course there are variables (Saka should start, can play multiple positions, AMN very much a utility man, Özil still frozen out etc) but we have a lot of talent to work with.

Is this enough to win the title? Maybe not, but when you look at the teams around us- if we put together a strong run between now and the turn of the year, who knows?

For the first time in a long while I feel we’re on the cusp of something great. The Partey signing means we can now play a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 fear free. Saka is getting better every single week. Pepe continues to give us glimpses of what he can do. Leno is a top quality keeper. Ceballos is looking like a creative hub. Gabriel already looks a world beater. And of course.... we have the best striker in the league.

I’m super optimistic about this coming season. I feel we can achieve something special. I’ve got complete faith in our manager and squad. COYG <3

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Actually love this 4-3-3 in possession/ 3-4-3 out that Arteta has invented, convinced that's now our best set-up and lineup (never thought I'd say that about anything whatsoever to do with a 3 at the back formation):

Bellerín-Luiz-Gabriel-Tierney- (Saka)
(Bellerín) Thomas-Ceballos-Saka
Pepe-Auba-Willian

That's actually quite an attacking lineup in terms of personnel but because of this clever, fluid formation Arteta has trained, and thanks to the versatility and quality of players like Tierney and Saka, it looks to make for a rather solid and well-rounded formation attacking and defending.

Hope to see this as our best XI.

Makavelii

I just want to see Willian and Pépé on the pitch at the same time. Not sure why Mikel is keeping them apart. I feel like they’d compliment each other. Pépé especially would benefit from Willians service and space creation.

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
We can't register 2 of our seniors

Who do we drop?
Sokratis for sure, 1 has to be a CB and Arteta clearly doesn't rate him (baffles me why we didn't let him go on a free). The other is up in the air but I'd say Özil, completely frozen out it seems.

balthazar

The only problem we got here who we won't register for first half of season? Most of our center backs are fit maybe only Chambers isn't until November. I guess him and Sokratis won't be registered?

Anyway with Partey addition our current squad capable of finishing in CL we improved the defense and the midfield our attack is good but hope Willian pepe Laca step up and score goals.

When is Martinelli fit again? if it is not until January he can be left of the rooster until then.
Also, is it possible to register a player for Carling and EL, and not the PL? Then Sokratis can s be left out of the PL squad, but someone else from the Carling and EL squad.

Last edited:

balthazar

With the Guendouzi issue solved for now, Arteta really most set out a pathway for redemption for Özil. This can't be healthy for team morale. This team so needs creativity at AM and Özil surely can be used on occasion. He is no worse than Willian.
Hope Arteta is not too stubborn for his own good.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
I believe with Partey in we could bring back Özil as Partey will do the dirty work in midfield and will Özil to be the creator for a front 3 that I would love to see of Saka-Auba-Pepe

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
When is Martinelli fit again? if it is not until January he can be left of the rooster until then.
Also, it is possible to register a player for Carling and EL, and not the PL? Then Sokratis can s be left out of the PL squad, but someone else from the Carling and EL squad.
Martinelli doesn't have to be registered at all even if he's fit. Coz he's u21

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Seems Portuguese and Dutch windows are still open for a short while. Should try to find clubs to atleast loan sokratis and kolasinac or someone else

Even if it's not 100% wages we should take it.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Very happy with the squad. Think we could have done with a better back up LB than Sokratis and we have too many players now, but our bench will have quality on it.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'm sure it wasn't for lack of trying, but it's a shame we couldn't shift out a couple more players just to reduce the squad size. I mean it's a season where you'll need a big squad, but 32 players is way too much. I feel especially for Sokratis, guy's basically done nothing wrong and now he's looking at not playing for a whole season just cos he couldn't find a club.

Top Bottom