• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2020/21

Jason Jace

H
You probably haven't seen Mari play yet and you want to drop him out the entire squad. Mari is there behind Gabriel as LCB depth.
Has been injured for almost all the time he's been here, what's point of registering a player of you can't count on them to stay fit a d play football

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah not that big a decision tbh he has already made it.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Raul bought Mari and Cedric to help his dodgy crooked friend Joorabchian out. He got sacked for doing dodgy stuff with our sacred club and rightly so. Arteta won the power struggle but unfortunately Raul already damaged the club

Goonger

Mari screamed pointless signing from the off. Hopefully his Brazilian team willing to take him back when possible.

Nice that we're stuck with Cedric for four years.

I hope Mari will evolve to provide solid cover for Gabriel at left centre back.

Cedric for the experienced right back cover once we sell Bellerin next summer & buy Lamptey. ;)

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

If anyone’s out until January surely they’re the ones we leave out?

Squad registration opens back up then and we should be able to sort a few loans out and teams around Europe get desperate to make a signing.

Feel this is being made into a much bigger deal than it needs to tbh.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Mari screamed pointless signing from the off.

Why? He's a LCB with good quality on the ball and great leadership. He was possibly the best defender in Brazil and the leader of the best team in South América.

He looked good in his few appearances for us.

It's easy to give this lazy Raúl-Kia argument, and as much as I'd like to pile on that incompetent bastard, he and Cedric were pretty clearly Arteta demands.

Again, on Cedric, he looks a good professional in the dressing room, which was certainly something Mikel wanted to address upon arriving, as well as a solid RB on the ball, pretty much all you can ask from a back-up RB. He also would've allowed us to generate funds with AMN if we played our cards right.

I really do not get the hate for these two signings. Maybe you can question giving Cedric 4 years--maybe that's where Kia and Raúl buddy buddy and latter's incompetence comes in--but tbh these experienced players who accept their role as a back-up in positions like RB are useful pieces to have. Look at PSG who is constantly scurrying about bringing in Florenzi type short-term fixes. Also we can't afford to pay £30m for a back-up fullback like Barça, City, and Madrid regularly do (Junior Firpo, Angeliño, Oriozola, etc.). Like it or not you need types like Cedric in the squad and he played a good game the other day against Liverpool, very decent quality on the ball and decision making for a RB.

gkoat

Presuming everyone is on the same page in the fact that Aubameyang is our best player, who is our second and third best player?

Not asking about value or potential, just curious what order we all pick at the schoolyard to win today

balthazar

Mari screamed pointless signing from the off. Hopefully his Brazilian team willing to take him back when possible.

Nice that we're stuck with Cedric for four years.

nothing against Mari as such, but it seems like a big fail now that we have 8 CB's and that with that extra money we could have got Aouar as well.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Well Cedric was a bad deal, I've said that several times and it's unbelievable that we signed him.

If he's been left out of the squad then he'll be a cup RB which I'm fine with.

I don't have an issue with the Mari move, infact I quite liked it, cheap enough to take the risk on (£11M or so?) but also has good credentials from his time in Brazil.

If he's been left out it's probably less about ability and more about fitness. We can adjust the registration in January I think? It's already October, Mari is back in training I think, but when will he get back to his best, November? December? It does make sense then to leave him out for now.

Vanfrothan

Presuming everyone is on the same page in the fact that Aubameyang is our best player, who is our second and third best player?

Not asking about value or potential, just curious what order we all pick at the schoolyard to win today

Scares me a bit on crosses but I think Leno has to be up there. Was brilliant for us last year before his injury.

It depends on how quickly he settles but I'd say Partey after that. Got a feeling that he's going to be one of those players who just hits the ground running. He's made for the his league.

Makavelii

Off the top of my head without giving it too much though. Based on recent form and recent bias :D
Auba
Partey
Ceballos
Willian
Pépé
Gabriel
Xhaka
Tierney

Jason Jace

Aubameyang
Leno
Pepe
Partey
Ceballos
Tierney
Gabriel
Saka
Xhaka
Martinelli
Lacazette
David Luiz
Bellerin

Anyone not on this list is just below average and should be sold at the first opportunity we get

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
So looking at the squad we have some players that you hope will stay with us for a few years, develop and improve the team and contribute now

formation-07-10-2020-10-14-48.png

The spots we need to plan/buy for me are:

RB - Rumblings Bellerin might have had a move and I expect that to happen next summer especially if we don't get CL

CB - Saliba isn't ready and at 20, next season it's unlikely he will be ready to start for us. Bench/cup player next season

Creative Mid - Aouar? Is he Madrid bound now? We need to add someone more technical and creative to the starting 11. Could that be Saka is he conti yes his trajectory?

LW - the positions are fluid, perhaps we need another CM and a .ore creative out let on LW. Regardless, Willian will decline, Reiss might never be ready

So that's still a lot of work to do to the starting 11

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So looking at the squad we have some players that you hope will stay with us for a few years, develop and improve the team and contribute now

formation-07-10-2020-10-14-48.png

The spots we need to plan/buy for me are:

RB - Rumblings Bellerin might have had a move and I expect that to happen next summer especially if we don't get CL

CB - Saliba isn't ready and at 20, next season it's unlikely he will be ready to start for us. Bench/cup player next season

Creative Mid - Aouar? Is he Madrid bound now? We need to add someone more technical and creative to the starting 11. Could that be Saka is he conti yes his trajectory?

LW - the positions are fluid, perhaps we need another CM and a .ore creative out let on LW. Regardless, Willian will decline, Reiss might never be ready

So that's still a lot of work to do to the starting 11

Gotta remember Ceballos isn't a dead cert to stay either.

Leno
Bellerin/Ains - Saliba - Gabriel - Tierney
Xhaka
Partey - Aouar
Pepe - Auba - Saka​

Saka is our number 7 so long term i'm fully expecting him to start LW for us and I think that is the plan. Also have Martinelli for LW. No point blocking their path by signing someone. Might be an idea to go down the signing of a younger striker route to eventually replace Auba.

If we get CL football I'm very confident we'll sign Aouar next summer. And its a long shot but IF we are looking like title challengers come January I reckon the club could go for Aouar then to try and push for it.

CB wise there's no point in signing someone like Upamecano because he's only 2 years older than Saliba. So any CB coming in would be older and more experienced. Maybe even Luiz for another year who knows.

So yeah I think next summer creative CM is the most important signing. After that if Laca goes you sign another forward. We could get away with spending what we spent this summer if all things go to plan.

Makavelii

Agree with the above.

Priorities for the next windows are:
  1. Attacking midfielder
  2. Young striker
  3. Maybe loan an experienced CB
  4. Look for an upgrade at right back if Bellerín hasn’t found his old form from years ago

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We've definitely strengthened from last season. Willian/Partey/Gabriel all improve the first 11. I still think we are behind Sp**s/Chelsea in terms of quality, but the gap isn't massive.

Pepe is the key this season imo, we need him to get some consistency and give us that X factor. Hopefully we see more of what we saw against Sheffield, where he is more direct when he gets the ball.

We will definitely look to get in a new 9 next season imo, probably Eduoard, and of course a creative midfield that can play 8 in a 433, probably Aouar.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I hope Martinelli is able to eventually make an impact this season. Could define what what we do a bit next summer. With Laca probably going and about 35m in wages freed up from contracts expiring alone it will be interesting to see what we do about our attack. Martinelli and Saka actually makes our attack seem quite strong.

Top Bottom