• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2020/21

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We've definitely strengthened from last season. Willian/Partey/Gabriel all improve the first 11. I still think we are behind Sp**s/Chelsea in terms of quality, but the gap isn't massive.

Pepe is the key this season imo, we need him to get some consistency and give us that X factor. Hopefully we see more of what we saw against Sheffield, where he is more direct when he gets the ball.

We will definitely look to get in a new 9 next season imo, probably Eduoard, and of course a creative midfield that can play 8 in a 433, probably Aouar.

Edouard doesn't have "it" for me. We need a young striker who will eventually replace Auba's goal tally. Need to be looking at the Haaland and Martinez' of the world ahead of Edouard.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Flat 3 with Xhaka - Partey - Ceb may be a possibility with Xhaka dropping to LCB when defending. Think however it'll be Ceb - Partey pivot in the long run.

Jason Jace

Edouard doesn't have "it" for me. We need a young striker who will eventually replace Auba's goal tally. Need to be looking at the Haaland and Martinez' of the world ahead of Edouard.
Is martinelli a joke to you?

Besides there is JJ, and the blike with the Nigerian name, we also just spent some money on an 18year old striker on deadline day , if we can find a way to develop these players then I dont think we need to spend big on a young striker

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Is martinelli a joke to you?

Besides there is JJ, and the blike with the Nigerian name, we also just spent some money on an 18year old striker on deadline day , if we can find a way to develop these players then I dont think we need to spend big on a young striker

Whatever happens we will need to replace Auba's output with a signing you can't get away from that.

Martinelli isn't a joke to me no, he is a left winger as he's said multiple times in multiple interviews. He prefers to play on the left but will fill in at striker when needed. LW for me, when thinking about it deeper isn't the real issue. Mainly because of Saka and Martinelli. I believe they'll be elite footballers in years to come.

So in that sense a young striker will have to be signed at some stage. Someone proven between 20-25. As some have already mentioned Daka looks a quality option, but for proven quality Haaland and players of that ilk are better.

Jason Jace

Whatever happens we will need to replace Auba's output with a signing you can't get away from that.

Martinelli isn't a joke to me no, he is a left winger as he's said multiple times in multiple interviews. He prefers to play on the left but will fill in at striker when needed. LW for me, when thinking about it deeper isn't the real issue. Mainly because of Saka and Martinelli. I believe they'll be elite footballers in years to come.

So in that sense a young striker will have to be signed at some stage. Someone proven between 20-25. As some have already mentioned Daka looks a quality option, but for proven quality Haaland and players of that ilk are better.
Martinelli may say he is a left winger all he likes but the fact remains he performs better as a centre forward , there has been many instances where players performs better in positions which they feel isn't their natural position

Walcott always said he was a centre forward when obviously he was a better winger
Henry was a winger before he came to us
Van Persie was a manageable winger before he came to us
Even Auba was a winger in the early stages of his career
Martinelli may be a very good winger but in all the times I have seen him play he always performs better as a canter forward and I am sure Arteta knows that too , Gabi has all the tools of an elite centre forward

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Will this be mirrored in the PL? Wonder if Sokratis was obstructive to a transfer or if he's also been on bad list since issue with Guendouzi in Dubai

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I'm confused ( a not uncommon state of affairs) - does this mean there was no need to exclude Özil and Papa from the squad simply on the grounds of numbers of Non HG?

Last edited:

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Okay so I was right about the homegrown rule after all.

I believe the earlier discussions were about our PL squad. Confusingly the homegrown rule and limits are slightly different for UEFA competitions.

For the PL squad Martinelli and Saliba can be registered without them taking up any space as they are under 21. You can register as many under 21 players as you wish.

For UEFA competitions to register a player as under 21 they must have been with the club for 2 years after they turned 15.

Makavelii

I'm on the Daka bandwagon.
Haaland just doesn't seem like a good dude. Some of his interviews are appalling. And he has a punchable face.

But these are the most in demand young strikers in the world. Let's be realistic here. A player like Haaland would only leave Dortmund to go to a very very top tier team like City, Bayern, Real Madrid or Barca.

Daka, we might have a slither of a chance.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Haaland will go to one of the elite European clubs next, we have no chance. I'm not convinced about Martinez either, I dont see him as a 60mplus player.

Edouard on paper has all of the skills you want from a modern 9. Big, physical, good touch, can link the player and scores goals. I think we will bring him in next summer.

Daka also looks immense, but I'm not sure Auba-Daka-Pepe is very well balanced.

I dont see any other center forward out there that we could realistically bring in, unless someone has a breakthrough season somewhere.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Martinelli may say he is a left winger all he likes but the fact remains he performs better as a centre forward , there has been many instances where players performs better in positions which they feel isn't their natural position

Walcott always said he was a centre forward when obviously he was a better winger
Henry was a winger before he came to us
Van Persie was a manageable winger before he came to us
Even Auba was a winger in the early stages of his career
Martinelli may be a very good winger but in all the times I have seen him play he always performs better as a canter forward and I am sure Arteta knows that too , Gabi has all the tools of an elite centre forward

Arteta actually even said so, and Martinelli said that Arteta rates him there more highly.
He is much more a predator in the box than a creative trick LW.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Why on earth are we picking 5 goalies & 9-10 defenders for the Europa League squad, hardly any midfielders or attackers? Can anyone answer me that? Hell, I know hardly anyone likes Özil but I surely would have picked Özil before Hillson & Kolasinac/Mustafi. So much for Arteta being more attacking then defending.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Why on earth are we picking 5 goalies & 9-10 defenders for the Europa League squad, hardly any midfielders or attackers? Can anyone answer me that? Hell, I know hardly anyone likes Özil but I surely would have picked Özil before Hillson & Kolasinac/Mustafi. So much for Arteta being more attacking then defending.

The only players left out are Martinelli and Özil. Martinelli due to injury and Özil because he isn't wanted here. All our other youngsters like Saka and such will also be registered.

We registered 5 keepers because we can. Same with the defenders.

Top Bottom