• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2020/21

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

GK
With Leno seemingly wanting out it'd make sense to get someone in, but I don't really see the need of it. If it comes to it Maignan and Onana (pending ban lift) would be the frontrunners. Get Ryan in on a permanent as backup.

CB
We're defensively sound and are only in real need of a good right back and backup left back. Imo ideally we'd keep Luiz for a year while easing in Saliba and move on Holding and Chambers. Extend and loan Mavro and then have him and Saliba from 22/23 and onwards. With Holding's new contract it doesn't seem likely that he'll leave though and that's fine imo.

FB

Backup left back I think the most important thing is to get someone in with as little effort as possible. From that perspective I'm fine with Bertrand, even though he'll probably only come on a 3-4 years contract which isn't ideal. My first choice would be Buchanan though. Right back Hakimi is the dream I think, other candidates would be Zeki Celik, Baku, Mazraoui, Mukiele.

CM
For central midfield it comes down to how many games we'll play, but we should be able to go quality over quantity here. Ceballos, Guendouzi, AMN, Elneny all need to go imo. If we're not in any European competition I think getting one high quality player with at least some experience (upgrade on Xhaka) along with a prospect that have broken through senior football but at a lower level would be good. Alternatively we could go for two high quality players with a bit different profiles and then we could keep either Elneny or Xhaka. Loan out Willock a full year and assess after that. Azeez as fifth player and blood him during the campaign. Bissouma is the prime candidate and then I personally really like Sabitzer. Dasilva also in the mix if available.

AM/W
With attacking midfield and wings the biggest issue is the lack of output. Lack of goals and assists but also general chance creation and creativity. I actually believe that chance creation and creativity is very much a function of how we set up to play and would see much improvement if we're able to transition faster. Both in terms of defence to attack but also shifting play from one side to the other. Upgrading on Xhaka/Elneny/Ceballos, who are all a bit slow and cowardly, is key here. We're also too reliant on Saka and ESR beig the creative forces right now, imo. Not that they're not good enough but rather that they shouldn't have to carry that amount of pressure at their age. Ödegaard is not the solution and I'd look for a player like Grealish or Buendia, that's more "powerful" and can break through lines on their own while still being excellent on the pass. Pepe is in the mix but more as a goalscoring winger - something he has the potential to be, but still haven't showed, or been given room to show. Martinelli on loan to develop properly with plenty of game time. We're stuck with Willian and he's fine as a backup. Nelson needs a fresh start and it's best for everyone to part ways at this point.

CF
I'd extend Laca one year, or at least keep him and let him leave for free. He's been our best attacker this year and with his link up game we're much better off than with Auba (although this probably changes with faster transition and a Grealish/Buendia like playmaker). Having both Auba and Laca with Balogun or TJJ (the other loaned out) behind them takes away the pressure of getting someone in this year and also facilitates Martinelli's loan. Next year we'll rid ourselves of Laca as well as potentially Auba and can go big for one of the up and coming forwards in Europe (Daka, Vlahovic, Isak, Edouard, David etc). If Laca or Auba leaves this year I'd try for Depay on a free or even consider trying Pépé there. We should probably try to cash in on Nketiah this summer.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
New GK, Ryan
New RB, Chambers
New CB, Saliba, Holding
Gabriel, Mari
Tierney, Doig/Bertrand
Partey, Camavinga, Azeez
Bissouma, Willock, Elneny
Saka, Pepe
ESR
Grealish, Martinelli
Auba, Laca, Balogun

Is what I want to see next season if we are serious about squad overhaul.

Iceman10

Established Member
GK
With Leno seemingly wanting out it'd make sense to get someone in, but I don't really see the need of it. If it comes to it Maignan and Onana (pending ban lift) would be the frontrunners. Get Ryan in on a permanent as backup.

CB
We're defensively sound and are only in real need of a good right back and backup left back. Imo ideally we'd keep Luiz for a year while easing in Saliba and move on Holding and Chambers. Extend and loan Mavro and then have him and Saliba from 22/23 and onwards. With Holding's new contract it doesn't seem likely that he'll leave though and that's fine imo.

FB

Backup left back I think the most important thing is to get someone in with as little effort as possible. From that perspective I'm fine with Bertrand, even though he'll probably only come on a 3-4 years contract which isn't ideal. My first choice would be Buchanan though. Right back Hakimi is the dream I think, other candidates would be Zeki Celik, Baku, Mazraoui, Mukiele.

CM
For central midfield it comes down to how many games we'll play, but we should be able to go quality over quantity here. Ceballos, Guendouzi, AMN, Elneny all need to go imo. If we're not in any European competition I think getting one high quality player with at least some experience (upgrade on Xhaka) along with a prospect that have broken through senior football but at a lower level would be good. Alternatively we could go for two high quality players with a bit different profiles and then we could keep either Elneny or Xhaka. Loan out Willock a full year and assess after that. Azeez as fifth player and blood him during the campaign. Bissouma is the prime candidate and then I personally really like Sabitzer. Dasilva also in the mix if available.

AM/W
With attacking midfield and wings the biggest issue is the lack of output. Lack of goals and assists but also general chance creation and creativity. I actually believe that chance creation and creativity is very much a function of how we set up to play and would see much improvement if we're able to transition faster. Both in terms of defence to attack but also shifting play from one side to the other. Upgrading on Xhaka/Elneny/Ceballos, who are all a bit slow and cowardly, is key here. We're also too reliant on Saka and ESR beig the creative forces right now, imo. Not that they're not good enough but rather that they shouldn't have to carry that amount of pressure at their age. Ödegaard is not the solution and I'd look for a player like Grealish or Buendia, that's more "powerful" and can break through lines on their own while still being excellent on the pass. Pepe is in the mix but more as a goalscoring winger - something he has the potential to be, but still haven't showed, or been given room to show. Martinelli on loan to develop properly with plenty of game time. We're stuck with Willian and he's fine as a backup. Nelson needs a fresh start and it's best for everyone to part ways at this point.

CF
I'd extend Laca one year, or at least keep him and let him leave for free. He's been our best attacker this year and with his link up game we're much better off than with Auba (although this probably changes with faster transition and a Grealish/Buendia like playmaker). Having both Auba and Laca with Balogun or TJJ (the other loaned out) behind them takes away the pressure of getting someone in this year and also facilitates Martinelli's loan. Next year we'll rid ourselves of Laca as well as potentially Auba and can go big for one of the up and coming forwards in Europe (Daka, Vlahovic, Isak, Edouard, David etc). If Laca or Auba leaves this year I'd try for Depay on a free or even consider trying Pépé there. We should probably try to cash in on Nketiah this summer.
Well put together, and mostly agree. My main point of contention is CB's and "defensively sound". We played 3 CB's against Chelsea and that isn't expected to be normal going forwards, was more a short term thing. I will only be at ease when I see Arteta regularly playing and trusting Saliba. I'm also.not too happy with Mikel's cloudiness over first choice for LCB, he really does need to commit to, and show trust in, Gabriel. This all kind of blurs the manager with the players (squad), but if Saliba doesn't work out we are going to have to spend big on sorting RCB for once and for all, because Holding cannot be reliable first choice in any back four formation.

I also think if the Kroenke's really are making out that they are willing to help with spend this summer there is no excuse not to go out and target a GK such as Oblak, as often suggested by @American_Gooner . We are just holding back on this kind of thing because we believe hype for this window is BS, which it very likely is.

I also think CM needs a clear out with two CM additions. A cut price Berge might help with that, to get someone like Bissouma or Camavinga on top.

Goonger

Ok, so what players / team will we use in the Intertoto Johnstons Paint Trophy UEFA Conference thing if we end up in that?

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Well put together, and mostly agree. My main point of contention is CB's and "defensively sound". We played 3 CB's against Chelsea and that isn't expected to be normal going forwards, was more a short term thing. I will only be at ease when I see Arteta regularly playing and trusting Saliba. I'm also.not too happy with Mikel's cloudiness over first choice for LCB, he really does need to commit to, and show trust in, Gabriel. This all kind of blurs the manager with the players (squad), but if Saliba doesn't work out we are going to have to spend big on sorting RCB for once and for all, because Holding cannot be reliable first choice in any back four formation.

I also think if the Kroenke's really are making out that they are willing to help with spend this summer there is no excuse not to go out and target a GK such as Oblak, as often suggested by @American_Gooner . We are just holding back on this kind of thing because we believe hype for this window is BS, which it very likely is.

I also think CM needs a clear out with two CM additions. A cut price Berge might help with that, to get someone like Bissouma or Camavinga on top.
With defensively sound I mean as a team more than CB, but that in turn means we don't necessarily have to upgrade any of our CB's this summer. If Saliba doesn't work out we'll need to get someone next summer. This mainly comes from thinking it'll be hard to get in and integrate more than 4 major signings and I'd reserve those for RB, CMx2 and LW/AM this summer. Next summer we can focus on GK, RCB and CF depending on the development of Saliba, Martinelli, Balogun etc. Of course this changes with outs in terms of Leno, Holding, Laca, Auba.

I completely agree on two additions at CM, but I think Berge is a very underwhelming name even as backup as he's not an upgrade on Xhaka and maybe not even on Ceballos or Elneny. I'd want us to look at a "6" that can work well in both a double pivot and as the holding mid in a three. Bissouma seems to be our first choice going off of rumours and I'm happy with that. Would take a look at Bentancur as well if he's actually on the market. Then Sabitzer would work well in both a pivot and as a bit of a more technical/passing "8" in a three and complement Partey. If we go for 4-3-3 then I'd look at Aouar as a "free8". I think he could become a player in the mould of David Silva or Gündogan. I also think Buendia could work well as a "free 8" given he really puts in a shift and is an aggressive player that takes defensive responsibility.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
So now we are down to 1 game a week no Europe let's see what the squad should look like. Arteta and Edu need to show how good they are moving players on. There's no credit paying a player off. Has to work in our benefit.

Leno
Ryan TRY TO KEEP
Runnarson SELL

Chambers
Bellerin SELL
Soares SELL
Holding
Saliba
Gabriel
Mari
Tierney
Kolasinac SELL

Xhaka
Partey
Willock
Elneny SELL
AMN SELL

Willian SELL
Saka
ESR
Martinelli
Nelson SELL
Pepe

Auba
Laca SELL
Eddie SELL
Balogun

Could sell one of Holding/Mari if we bought a top centre back which I think we need.

In my opinion we need.

CB (right side)
LB
CM
ACM
STR

I doubt Edu and Arteta will be able to shift them all on but we need a smaller squad so time to clear out the players who don't improve us.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It's a chance to cull the squad and offer proper progression to the reserves. We sell the deadwood like Runarsson and Elneny before we sell Willock just because the latter is quality and has a value. Kroenke will have to find the money to achieve this. There's no point keeping squad fillers who won't help us progress. I want us to try something new and hopefully better.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Easier said than done but without europe and we looking of maximum 45 games next season most of our squad players should go this covid thing not helping nobody and we choosing the worst time to be without europe but good news for us that the players that will get no chance next season they'll leave guys like Kola Torreira Nektiah Nelson Runarson Guendouzi AMN should be the first one that need to leave and quick.

BobP

Memri Fan
GK
Bernd Leno
?

CB
Rob Holding [HG]
Gabriel
Pablo Marí
William Saliba [U21]

RB
?
Calum Chambers [HG]

LB
Kieran Tierney
?

CM
Thomas Partey
?
Mohamed Elneny
Joe Willock [HG]
Miguel Azeez [U21]

AM
?
Emile Smith Rowe [U21]

W
Bukayo Saka [U21]
Nicolas Pépé
Gabriel Martinelli [U21]

ST
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
Alexandre Lacazette
Folarin Balogun [U21]

Out
Héctor Bellerín, Dani Ceballos, Martin Ødegaard, Willian, Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson, Cédric Soares, David Luiz, Reiss Nelson, Eddie Nketiah, Mathew Ryan, Granit Xhaka, Lucas Torreira, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Konstantinos Mavropanos, Matteo Guendouzi, Sead Kolašinac.

Redo of my post from a few pages back now that the season has finished.

• Chambers should be rewarded with a new contract. He's notched up 3 assists in 16 starts since returning from injury, he's homegrown, he can play at CB, and he doesn't seem fussed about being a squad player.
  • There are no concrete reports linking either Lacazette or Leno away from the club so will assume that they'll still be around next season.
  • I wouldn't hand Elneny a new contract but I'd like to see us retain him until his contract ends. He may not be glamorous but he can do a job.
  • Really hope Willock sticks around.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
First, we have to identify the problems in our tactics.

After that, we should evaluate our players, to see if they are suitable to play in this system. If they are not, then we will have to find the right players in the transfers market.

———————————————————
Problem 1) Pressing.

In our pressing phase, our presses are not often aggressive enough. But why?

Our defenders are staying too deep. They don’t have enough pace to deal with fast strikers in transition, if they leave too much space behind them, so they are not pushing high enough.

If our strikers are pressing high and our defenders are staying deep. This means we leave a big gap in the midfield area.

If we press aggressively (sometimes we do), and the opponent somehow break our press. They can easily exploit the spaces we left in the midfield.

Therefore, because our players have to consider covering spaces in the midfield area, our press will not be aggressive enough.

Solution 1)

Sell slow defenders to raise fund. Replace with quicker defenders. So that we can push the defensive line higher up when pressing, closing down the vertical distance of our team. They should also be good on the ball, so we are less likely to lose the ball high up the pitch with spaces left behind.

Solution 2)

Sell our keeper, replace with a sweeper keeper to protect the spaces left behind by the defenders.

Last edited:

BobP

Memri Fan
GK: Leno, GK, Okonkwo
CB: White, Gabriel, Holding, Marí
RB: Chambers, Cédric
LB: Tierney, Tavares
CM: Partey, Xhaka, Lokonga, Elneny
RW: Pépé
AM: AM [Ødegaard], Smith Rowe
LW: Saka, Martinelli
ST: Aubameyang, ST [Abraham], Balogun

Out: Bellerín, Lacazette, Torreira, Willian, Rúnarsson, Maitland-Niles, Nelson, Willock, Nketiah, Kolašinac, Guendouzi, Mavropanos, Saliba [Loan].

Reckon this is what the club wants the squad to look like by the end of this window. Not sure how successful they'll be.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Out: Bellerín, Lacazette, Torreira, Willian, Rúnarsson, Maitland-Niles, Nelson, Willock, Nketiah, Kolašinac, Guendouzi, Mavropanos, Saliba [Loan].

Reckon this is what the club wants the squad to look like by the end of this window. Not sure how successful they'll be.

A slight improvement on 19/20 and potentially 150m spent. Arteta and Edu are out of their depth.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Not good enough in my opinion.

Replace Elneny with Auoar, replace Tammy with a real prospect like Vlahovic, and replace Chambers with a proper RB like Baku, and we have something even Arteta can work with.

Further outlay, 85-95m, depending on whether a cheap backup GK comes in.

BobP

Memri Fan
Yeah, we're in desperate need of quality at CM and RB. Hopefully the club intends to retain Saliba. With his return, I can see the CB area being the least of our worries for a very long time. The Leno situation is a worry, not sure where he's at with things. You can see why the club is looking for a long-term replacement there. The search for a younger striker also makes sense given that both Laca and Auba are getting up in years, and the fact that the former's contract ends at the end of this season.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Pepe, Balogun, Elneny, AMN, Mari, Holding, Chambers aren't Arsenal good imo (perhaps Balogun in the future) and I'm tired of Xhaka as well.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
This isn't a great squad, that should be challenging for the title.

This isn't a very good squad, that should be challenging for Champions League.

But this is a good squad, that should be getting Europa League...and one that should be looking to get seriously in the mix for Top Four in the next year or two.

Don't look like this at all at the minute, and that's mainly on Arteta.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
This isn't a great squad, that should be challenging for the title.

This isn't a very good squad, that should be challenging for Champions League.

But this is a good squad, that should be getting Europa League...and one that should be looking to get seriously in the mix for Top Four in the next year or two.

Don't look like this at all at the minute, and that's mainly on Arteta.
I don’t get how people think Gabriel/White should be our CB pairing going forward. They’re both way too young, inexperienced and frankly don’t have the quality to lead a line.

I think eventually we’re gonna have to go 3 at the back, we got the team for it.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Gabriel, Tierney, Partey, Saka, ESR, Martinelli, Balogun.

All the new signings excluded, the names above are the only players I’d be gutted to lose. Most are kids who have high potential, it’s some of the worst squad building you’ll ever see.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom