• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 23/24

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
That's a side effect, the "problem" is the club is loaded with money and Arteta doesn't have to play them to keep their value, because for him it makes no difference if we sell a player for £5M or £10, or even give him for free.
Saying that, he wouldn't be the right man for the job if he needed to manage our finances through the way we recruit and play football (something that Wenger needed to do and managers and Dortumnd for example).
In a way I'm OK with it, they are pushing for high value first team regulars and one of them could fetch us 3x more than all our rejects combined if we ever need money from sales.

Well the club might be loaded but we still have to fall within PSR and FFP regulations. And I think that’s where we bear the brunt of diminished value of our reserved players.

Being able to command more from our players, particularly those with no transfer payments left, would put us in a far stronger position financially.

We must be able to create the space needed to flex our financial muscle

Gn1212

ITK Police 👮
The problem is Arteta, he tanks value.

Eddie, Smith Rowe, Nelson, Lokonga should be going for proper fees. Instead we are in a difficult situation now. Hopefully this is the last of the group, and we can start to get big fees going forward.
I expect this nonsense from others, not you.
How did he tank their value?

Arteta's job is to win football matches. He's not an accountant.

There is not a single top club that operates this way, why would we want to operate like a Dortmund or Benfica?

SA Gunner

I expect this nonsense from others, not you.
How did he tank their value?

Arteta's job is to win football matches. He's not an accountant.

There is not a single top club that operates this way, why would we want to operate like a Dortmund or Benfica?

You could argue Cole Palmer gave his move to Chelsea a shot in the arm with his Shield cameo.

A few examples come to mind.

We can rotate Saka and Ødegaard in matches with Nelson, Vieira, Jesus, Smith Rowe.

Defensively we can rotate Kiwior with Zinchenko, which is what we’ve seen actually.

We do not need them to start, we need them to get minutes, to build in game momentum which brings confidence and form. That, in combination with teams seeing them in action, builds value.

This is within Arteta’s remit, and I expect to see it more in time. The other end of this argument is that we are now left with our core squad, with not many bench warmers anymore, so what I describe here should naturally follow.

Gn1212

ITK Police 👮
You could argue Cole Palmer gave his move to Chelsea a shot in the arm with his Shield cameo.

A few examples come to mind.
So it's not an Arteta problem. It's a "selling at the right time" problem.

That's probably what they're gonna do with Kiwior. Sell while his stock is high.

SA Gunner

So it's not an Arteta problem. It's a "selling at the right time" problem.

Arteta contributes to the problem is my point. There are other factors as well, of course. Edu seemingly being another one.

Gn1212

ITK Police 👮
Arteta contributes to the problem is my point. There are other factors as well, of course. Edu seemingly being another one.
Arteta is responsible for blocking certain moves, like he did with Nketiah, Ainsley and probably others we haven't heard about.

Tanking values isn't one. He's primarily responsible for turning a ****e team into the #1/#2 most valuable squads in world football.

SA Gunner

Arteta is responsible for blocking certain moves, like he did with Nketiah, Ainsley and probably others we haven't heard about.

Tanking values isn't one. He's primarily responsible for turning a ****e team into the #1/#2 most valuable squads in world football.

Of course he’s doing that, we see it with our starters, and our key players probably doubling their value already. Our team is probably the best value, pound for pound in the world right now.

Tanking value may not be his mandate, but i think it’s a byproduct of our rigidity of squad use and rotation. That is what I’m referring to and expect to be improved upon.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Well the club might be loaded but we still have to fall within PSR and FFP regulations. And I think that’s where we bear the brunt of diminished value of our reserved players.
Think that was a thing when our squad had no value and we suddenly started investing loads without the CL income.

Now that we are in the CL, I don't think FFP could do anything to us, but even if that's the case we can sell one of the first team players (let's say Zinchenko/Kiwior/Tommy) that has some value but not needed meaning we still don't depend on selling rejects like Nelson and Nketiah.

Don't fall for that mob opinion, we are gonna see what he can or can't do from this point forward with potential sales of Kiwior, Ramsdale, and Zinchenko. I've seen people on this forum asking 30M for Nketiah and ESR and 20M for Nelson and blaming Edu for not getting that. These players have very little value, ESR might be talented but his fitness levels and injury record will be a concern for every club that will have to pay anything more than 15M.

He did sell Balogun for a lot of money with the player proving later he wasn't worth that at all.

SA Gunner

Think that was a thing when our squad had no value and we suddenly started investing loads without the CL income.

Now that we are in the CL, I don't think FFP could do anything to us, but even if that's the case we can sell one of the first team players (let's say Zinchenko/Kiwior/Tommy) that has some value but not needed meaning we still don't depend on selling rejects like Nelson and Nketiah.

I agree with the thinking that our improved performances over the last 2 years, both on and off the field has contributed favourably to our financial situation. We are in a better position now to deal with low sales like Lokonga, Tavares and others.

That said, I still want us to command bigger fees for our players going forward, and it comes back to the Arteta tanking issue I have. What is good is that this problem should naturally go away as our rotation players now, were once starting players in a title challenging team, meaning that they are likely to be actual rotation going forward.

Don't fall for that mob opinion, we are gonna see what he can or can't do from this point forward with potential sales of Kiwior, Ramsdale, and Zinchenko. I've seen people on this forum asking 30M for Nketiah and ESR and 20M for Nelson and blaming Edu for not getting that. These players have very little value, ESR might be talented but his fitness levels and injury record will be a concern for every club that will have to pay anything more than 15M.

He did sell Balogun for a lot of money with the player proving later he wasn't worth that at all.

There is a mob or agenda based aspect to this idea, I agree. Like many of the discussion points around Arteta, there seems to be an element of bitterness and anger built into viewpoints made.

But these elements aren’t all bad because of this. Exaggerated possibly, but I think there are merits to points made as well in certain situations. I think you do see this when you do not have an axe to grind re Mikel.

He has done a lot of good things, far more good than bad at this point. But there are also areas which can be improved upon. Player value being one high on my list.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

2024 Summer Transfers Deadline

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, July 19

Marseille would offer around £20m for Eddie Nketiah, but it’s likely that Arsenal would ask for more [Alan Nixon - The Sun]

West Ham are frontrunners to sign Reiss Nelson and a fee of £15m-20m could be enough to clinch a deal [Evening Standard]

Inter and Juventus have asked Arsenal about loaning Jakub Kiwior, but the club will only let him leave on a permanent transfer [Goal Poland]

Academy striker Chido Obi-Martin visited Manchester United’s training ground to discuss a move to the club [AcademyScoop]

Crystal Palace are preparing a £30m bid for Emile Smith Rowe [Ed Aarons - The Guardian]

Latest posts

Top Bottom