• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

$tan Kroenke Becomes Soul Owner

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Matt Scott is a hack. Our wage bill isn’t going to be 60% of turnover. It was 47% in the last financial reports and a lot of the increase in wages is offset by outgoings. It will probably increase by £2om ish which is more like a 5% increase. He also says we will eat into 25% of the cash reserves (£30m) with our current spending and we will add £50m in sponsorship revenues from 2018/19 but will need champions league money to become self funding. That doesn’t add up.

He's a massive hack and I took him to task over Twitter for that little tidbit there. I asked him to provide his workings on how he got 60% wages to turnover ratio when just last financial period it was one of the best in the PL at 47% - I got absolute radio silence from him.

Let's get one thing straight here. Arsenal have averaged around £100m in net operating cash flows for the past four financial periods. That means we bank £100m AFTER all our variable and fixed costs (e.g. wages, administrative et al). That is literally the very opposite of living beyond our means. Take around £20m away from the £100m figure (the £20m represents our fixed debt repayments per year) and we have £80m per season to invest in capex and player trading. That's not taking into account player sales and not taking into account the instalment nature of player acquisitions. Aubameyang for example, cost around £57m - this is paid in x3 instalments so only £19m initial fee will hit the books up front.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Arsenal will make it back into the Champions League and everything will be alright. Then that rich dude from Africa will make Kroenke an offer he can't refuse in 2020 or 2021 and you'll have your plaything owner pumping billions into the club. Be patient.
Why is it people can't remember his name? Is it because he is African?
Aliko Dangote.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Aliko Dangote.

In a sense, yes, because over here in self-obsessed America we get very little news from Africa (unless it's actually about us) and I don't remember hearing of him before reading awhile back that he was set on buying the club in the future.

On the other hand, there are 574 billionaires in the United States and I probably couldn't name more than a dozen of them off the top of my head (extraordinarily famous guys like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, political influencers like the Koch Brothers and a handful of sports franchise owners such as Kroenke. Trump if he really is a billionaire, which I doubt.). Couldn't name the richest person in the U.K. or all of Europe. I do know of a few billionaire Russian mobsters though.

But if Dangote gets serious about buying the club and I keep reading his name, I'll remember it. Heck, I might even remember it now since you mention it. But don't hold me to that. :lol:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
In a sense, yes, because over here in self-obsessed America we get very little news from Africa (unless it's actually about us) and I don't remember hearing of him before reading awhile back that he was set on buying the club in the future.

On the other hand, there are 574 billionaires in the United States and I probably couldn't name more than a dozen of them off the top of my head (extraordinarily famous guys like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, political influencers like the Koch Brothers and a handful of sports franchise owners such as Kroenke. Trump if he really is a billionaire, which I doubt.). Couldn't name the richest person in the U.K. or all of Europe. I do know of a few billionaire Russian mobsters though.

But if Dangote gets serious about buying the club and I keep reading his name, I'll remember it. Heck, I might even remember it now since you mention it. But don't hold me to that. :lol:
Only reason I remember his name is because he is African and wanted to buy Arsenal, allegedly. Only other billionaire names I know from Africa are Openheimer and Motsepe. No idea why I asked you that given your pretty logical answer:lol:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Only reason I remember his name is because he is African and wanted to buy Arsenal, allegedly. Only other billionaire names I know from Africa are Openheimer and Motsepe. No idea why I asked you that given your pretty logical answer:lol:

Well, it was an interesting question. Funny thing, I almost looked him up, but figured if I just said that rich dude from Africa everybody would know who I was talking about, even if -- like me -- they couldn't remember his name. :lol:

scytheavatar

Established Member
Aliko Dangote.

There is no point in remembering his name because it doesn't look like his interest in us is serious, or that he's the type of person you would want anywhere near the club.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Screen-Shot-2018-08-15-at-8.21.50-PM.png

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
There is no point in remembering his name because it doesn't look like his interest in us is serious, or that he's the type of person you would want anywhere near the club.

Out of interest, do you have any specific examples of he why is the type of person that shouldn't be anywhere the club? Did a quick google and nothing too striking came up TBH. Certainly nothing remotely in the same ball park as Usmanov allegations.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Again raises the question of moving stadiums.

As in we shouldn't have moved to the Emirates? That ball was put in motion a good 20 years ago. At the time it was a perfectly sensible decision to move into a bigger, more lucrative stadium. I agree the move hasn't had the impact we hoped for, but not moving would hardly have been a better course of action imo.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Again raises the question of moving stadiums.
The stadium move was completely wrong but also right. We lost out because we were the first big team to do it. Other teams then saw what we done , done it better in a more cost effective way. The main gripe I have was the timing. If we invested in the squad we would have increased our commercial income simply because we would have won more. Once you win more, secure better commercial terms and with the increased tv money you then invest. You have a squad relatively content with success and on long term contracts.

Instead we dismantled the invincibles cut costs invested in youth and in experience and got caught out by the rising tide of the money in English football. And I think history will not look at us overly kindly. We made the right decision in the wrong way and at the wrong time (rate decreases and property market crashing)

Although the importance of it cannot be under stated.

"Kieran Maguire, a football finance expert at the University of Liverpool, said that the importance of ticket sales, while overshadowed by huge broadcast deals, remains significant at the top of the sport.

Manchester United, recently ranked as the second most valuable sports franchise in the world by business magazine Forbes,brought in more than £111.6m in matchday revenue.

None of the Premier League's top five money makers - Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea - would have made a profit without matchday incomes being included.

"Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool have each expanded their ground capacity in recent years, and because they do not have benevolent owners in the same vein as Chelsea and Manchester City, matchday income is essential as a means of providing funding for investment in the playing squad in terms of both wages and transfer fees," Maguire said.

"When Liverpool expanded Anfield, a significant proportion of the new seats went to corporate partners and hospitality fans.

"This allows the club to increase its revenue per fan per match, which is an ever more important financial metric given that broadcast income is plateauing and corporate partnership deals are reaching saturation point."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

The stadium move made sense in the context of elevating our status to the likes of Man United, Bayern et al. The question is why did we handicap ourselves financially? There should have been some additional capital contribution from the owners during this period so we could still have competed from 2006 to 2013. It wouldn't even have had to be significant sums of money, we had the spine of a great team during that period, we were always missing 1 or 2 key pieces (GK and CB) which always inevitably cost us.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

@bingobob - I don't agree with you about the timing. By the time it's all said and done, Tottenham's stadium is going to be close to the £1bn mark while ours cost close to a third of that (£390m). The Emirates stadium has surely doubled in value since completion.

Financing of the stadium should have also been met with additional capital funding from the owners so as to keep us competitive.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger

It's an anagram for Goatend in case that helps to remember his name.

Latest posts

Top Bottom